Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to attract people to a new forum?

Hi all,
    I'm setting up a new forum soon and am wondering how do you all attract users to a new forum? Any advice from experienced people here?

Thanks & Regards

the $40 million dollar question. what is your forum about?

Comment

Would help to know what genre your forums fall under.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop View Post
        the $40 million dollar question. what is your forum about?
        Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
        Would help to know what genre your forums fall under.

Hi there,
        Thanks for the reply. I'm planning of starting a forum on topics like; IT, music, politics and some other general chat.

Any advice?

Thanks & Regards

Comment

Amazingly I have started to attract new users to my forum and they have posted content! It has taken months to get my first registered user that actually posts real content. The rest register and lurk which was annoying. I was about to give up, but it all came down to keeping things updated and just waiting it out.
          I love lamp

Comment

Think of starting a new forum like throwing a party. You need to prepare for the party, you need to invite people and you had better have something to do (content) for your guests once they get there.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelby View Post
              Think of starting a new forum like throwing a party. You need to prepare for the party, you need to invite people and you had better have something to do (content) for your guests once they get there.
              Hi, this is a good advice. Thanks

Comment

first step is domain name. do you have one?

Comment

It's taking me a year to get 60 active members

Comment

time time time time time.

it takes time to grow...TRUST me..i've done everything under the sun and now its the waiting game. Keep ur site fresh...search this site and start reading what other people did.

ttyl man.

Comment

build links to your website using resources such as:
                      - article directories (also a good source of targetted traffic)
                      - social bookmarking sites
                      - social networking sites.
                      - blogs
                      - squidoo lenes
                      - hubpages

good luck keep us updated

Comment

Yeah quite true with all the advice. The time, the effort and the quality of the forum site are all the main considerations. Thanks to all.

Comment

honestly I've made a lot of failed attempts at a forum, and that's because I lacked the content most of all, even though i had interesting topics I needed post and things that made more interesting, you could try forum games and things like that.

Comment

Here is a good list for you to use:

1. Domain name (Catchy, .com, short and easy to remember.)

2. Content (Number one reason why visitors will use your site, visitors will turn into members to post or ask questions and search engines will have more to index.)

3. Style (Graphics, colors and quick page loads make visitors happy. Make your site unique by using custom graphics. You can do so with photoshop. Create your own style. Using a style that thousands of other sites use will make your site unprofessional and undesirable. Never use the default vb style!!!)

4. When your site is ready, use blogs that allow linking. Do not spam! Relevant blog posts with your site link will generate more visitors. I have done this in the past and on average would have about 90 new members per day from the blogs alone.

The biggest mistake any site owner can make is to slap up useless posts/threads and crappy content. Try to be unique and view your site as you would someone elses. If you wouldnt register and use your own site, expect others to feel the same.

You should have a minimum of 100 threads with replies in each forum you create. An empty forum is a useless forum! Try and get your friends to join and post. If not, create a few fake users and add the content that way. Do not add mass content using the same name. The idea is to make your site appear active.

Reward your top posters/referrers! Advertise on your main page that each month you'll give them some type of gift. Free toaster, 10 bucks via paypal, etc.. That will spark competition via your users and interest potential new members.

Installing vbulletin and adding a few posts is not good enough. It takes time to get a site setup and looking good. Remember, quality is your number one friend. Quality design and quality content will work everytime!

Comment

Right now I am trying hard to come up with a niche that will captivate and be really interesting. At first I thought about a love and relationship site that creates drama and we all know people will come back for the drama lol..

I don't know yet, but yes, interesting content and lots of it.. One thing I will do is totally skip over a forum that only has like 5 categories... It's because I know it won't be active and it would be no fun there.

Quality, interesting content and lots of it... You have to get creative.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X