Thinking of upgrading my computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of upgrading my computer

So I'm considering upgrading my computer but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it (Maybe 500$).

I'm currently running the following:
    • ECS nForce 570 Motherboard
    • Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 1.8Ghz CPU
    • 4GB PC2 5300 RAM
    • nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS OC 640MB

I'm thinking my current block on performance is the CPU/Mobo.

What does everyone think?

I was thinking of getting an i7 but looks like a tad on the pricey side but it might be worth it. If so any suggestions on a motherboard to go with one?

What are you doing, that requires a faster CPU? I am running on a Quad 2.66GHZ Xeon 5300 and it feels "normal" like my Dual 1.25GHZ felt when I had it in 2003-2008.

Comment

A lot of multitasking with cpu intensive applications.

(Add some gaming in there too)

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        So I'm considering upgrading my computer but I really don't want to spend a lot of money on it (Maybe 500$).

I'm currently running the following:
        • ECS nForce 570 Motherboard
        • Intel Core 2 Duo E2160 1.8Ghz CPU
        • 4GB PC2 5300 RAM
        • nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS OC 640MB

I'm thinking my current block on performance is the CPU/Mobo.

What does everyone think?

I was thinking of getting an i7 but looks like a tad on the pricey side but it might be worth it. If so any suggestions on a motherboard to go with one?
        I'm using an AMD 2GHz CPU and 2GB's of RAM on XP and my computer runs fine.

If your computer is running fine you do not need to buy anything. Hold on to the money and wait a year. Any motherboard you have your eye on now will drop in price and you can buy an extra stick of RAM and/or another hard drive.

Comment

That's a good thing, but what If I don't have the money budgeted next year huh? I have the money budgeted now. And personally I don't think my computer runs fine. It can always be better.

Comment

That's a good thing, but what If I don't have the money budgeted next year huh? I have the money budgeted now. And personally I don't think my computer runs fine. It can always be better.
            You have a better CPU, more RAM, and a better video card. I have a Radeon 9200SE (which doesn't even have pixel-shading 2.0)

I'm curious what your score is on Geekbench compared to mine.
            Attached Files

Comment

Sadly I wouldn't be able to run it as I run 64-bit os.

Comment

Sadly I wouldn't be able to run it as I run 64-bit os.
                Geekbench runs under a 64-bit OS just fine.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Yes but according to the site I need to buy it to get the 64bit benchmarks.

Comment

You can get the basics with the free trial. I just downloaded it and ran it under the Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.

Wayne Luke
                    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                      You can get the basics with the free trial. I just downloaded it and ran it under the Windows 7 Beta 64-bit.
                      Ahh... ok.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mac Write View Post
                        What are you doing, that requires a faster CPU? I am running on a Quad 2.66GHZ Xeon 5300 and it feels "normal" like my Dual 1.25GHZ felt when I had it in 2003-2008.
                        5300 <--- isn't that one 2 cores, and not 4? .. or do you mean you run 2x CPU = 4cores total. like my mac pro.

Comment

Ahh... ok.
                          You would seen an improvement with a new motherboard and processor. A 2.66 ghz or 3.0 ghz dual core would speed up processing nicely. However then your bottleneck will be memory and possibly your hard drive.

Wayne Luke
                          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Was thinking of something like this actually http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=11025346

Comment

If you're gonna use old technology for your upgrade, I recommend maxing out your processor. I would ditch the core 2 duo for a quad core after reading this comment "A lot of multitasking with cpu intensive applications". I wouldn't even bother with less than a Q9400. If you're set on the core 2 duo, at least the E8600

Just my 2 cents

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X