Your Thoughts on VB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Thoughts on VB

What factors do you like or dislike about the VB software?

tons of mods to choose from is one big bonus for me.

honestly, I havent used other softwares so its hard for me to compare and contrast. I've been a huge fan of posting on vb boards long before I became an owner of 2 boards.

Comment

I will also add that the customer support on these forums is outstanding.

Comment

Its already being discussed here vBulletin 4 Series Update Discussion among other places.
        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

My thoughts are pretty much that it's the best possible forum software. My opinion why can pretty much be summed up though as:

1. It's very user friendly. I like not having to modify PHP code to add new modifications for one thing (makes upgrades easy for another). Modifying it is probably the easiest of any software I've ever seen, I hate Wordpress because creating a style basically means rewriting the entire layout coding, I dislike SMF because the style is pretty much always going to resemble the default in some way and is a pain to modify without breaking something, and Media Wiki, while I like it is rather difficult to upgrade in comparison to vBulletin. Plus, you can't argue with the easy header image inserter text box and the style manager,
          2. It's got all the features you could probably want in a forum, albeit in some cases the implementation needs to be improved. Don't honestly care about what same people say about 'bloat', the less things I have to upgrade or manage at the same time and that are default, the better it is for my general sanity. I'd rather social groups, tags, prefixes and social networking was default than having to maintain and upgrade a seperate modification for each and every one thank you very much.
          3. It's just good software. Haven't had any security issues, problems, forum collapsing or exploding and it's very much popular with my site's member base. Does everything I wanted it to and more, which considering my liking for lots of features in anything, means that I just like vBulletin even more for having features I didn't know existed and wasn't going to use before realising it had them.

Plus, vB draws more members. Heck, I've had multiple people join from vBulletin.org, one person actually say they joined because it used vBulletin, and people join from finding the site on vBulletin.com or the like. Heck, I've even got multiple people to buy vBulletin licenses, and at least one of those sites is darn well more successful than it would have been otherwise.
          DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

I have always loved vBulletin since 2000 , I will rarely post on any other bulletin board unless it is using vBulletin. (excluding Corporations)
            I like trying new things that are included. Like the new ad sense integration.

I am going to be trying that out, probably removing it before summer, unless I become richer than Warren Buffett, or Bill Gates..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoPhotoShop View Post
              I will also add that the customer support on these forums is outstanding.
              Totally agree!

Plus vb has lots of features for any kind of board. Smartly coded. I have used invision, phpbb and smf but none are as good as vb.

What I don't like is the design which I think will change with the next major release (4).
              www.christianforumsite.com
              sigpic

Comment

Seems like a powerful, stable software solution with a huge pool of resources from coders and designers. It makes me feel confident that my site is going to get somewhere fast

Comment

Well I'm going against the grain here from what I've read posted so far in favour of it above. And don't take this as me having a moan - I'm just being honest about how I see vBulletin today!

I used to really like vBulletin back in the vBulletin 3.0 series days, when it was more a straight forward basic forum software package only. I even liked the vBulletin 2 series also, and still do. But the likes of phpBB3 have taken over from the vB2 series for me now. Now in the latest version of vBulletin (after the 3.6 version to be exact). I don't really like it anymore!

And the problem is, you can't even choose to stick with an older version that you do like. Because exploits have been found since by hackers in older versions, plus code problems and newer browser incompatibility's have been found, which have been fixed in newer version only that I don't like. So it becomes an impossibility in the end, and you end up in a no win situation that's forcing you to upgrade to something you don't want too.

Everybody is different, and I suppose vBulletin can't please everybody at the same time. For me it's become to bloated, with too many features forced into it by default, which I think should have been optional extras to add onto it by choice. Rather than being there (like it or not). And I don't buy into the (you can just disable it) answer. If I don't like it, I'd sooner it just not be there in the first place. Which brings me back to the (they should be add-on's to install by choice).

I wasn't happy about the whole "Adsense IB Integration" thing, for me that would have finished me using the latest version anyway. Even had I liked all the other features already added in the latest versions.

I'd still say vBulletin is still the best out there. But all the bloat added into it for me these days, means I'll never be interested in using it again. But that's OK, because I'd kind off started moving away from being interested in running an on-line forum anyway at the same time my view of it changed. And enjoy just running my websites now instead.

So I have no hard feeling about it, vBulletin have moved with demand and the times I guess. And most people here are happy with that.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Tue 10 Feb '09, 11:23pm.

Comment

Originally posted by MRGTB View Post
                    which I think should have been optional extras to add onto it by choice. Rather than being there (like it or not). And I don't buy into the (you can just disable it) answer. If I don't like it, I'd sooner it just not be there in the first place.
                    That seems a rather selfish attitude to take.

As much as it might surprise you, you are not the only vBulletin customer. As such they need to appeal to everyone, those that want the extra features and those that do not.

I guess they took the approach that more people wanted the extra features than those that do not and thus enabled them by default. If your time is so precious you can not even disable them then you should employ someone to do it for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                      That seems a rather selfish attitude to take.
                      Did you read my full message

vBulletin have moved with demand and the times I guess. And most people here are happy with that.

Comment

• Regular updates
                        • Project tools addon which is very useful
                        • Good support, although I've rarely had to use it
                        • Easy to install, upgrade and requires little maintenance
                        • Powerful admincp
                        • Easy for our users to use

Dislikes:
                        • None really.

Comment

vBulletin is good, but I think it's falling behind IPB. However, vBulletin is still one of the best self-hosted solutions you can buy.
                          Forums

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
                            vBulletin is good, but I think it's falling behind IPB. However, vBulletin is still one of the best self-hosted solutions you can buy.
                            Wow, you're officially an IPB hoaxer! You have been for years invoking your "vB is [enter something nice here] but I think IPB is [enter something nicer here]" weasel words in almost every discussion about vBulletin you poke your nose into.
                            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Working...
                            X