Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do so many major companies use lithium board software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Why do so many major companies use lithium board software?

Like the title asks why do all offical Sony boards and other major firms use the lithium board software, what is so good about it and what is it like compared to vBulletin?

Dan

Originally posted by Dannykilla View Post
    Like the title asks why do all offical Sony boards and other major firms use the lithium board software, what is so good about it and what is it like compared to vBulletin?

Dan
    While I have never looked at lithium, I am guessing that it is designed specially for large scale use (ie corporations and companies like sony) who have hundreds and thousands of users online at once. Boards like this focus on performance, security and stability rather than having as many fancy features as possible which do nothing for them but add server load and costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to be able to run.

vBulletin, IPB, phpbb etc focus more on trying to deliver to as many different markets as possible but off course doing so reduces performance and increases server load especially on much bigger forums.

Comment

Because it's better than Jive? LOL, but a random possible reason where things like features are concerned, especially as from a quick glance, it's one of the forums marketed at a 'corporate' market with any of the features anyone would want.

To be honest though, I'd probably say it's one of three reasons:

1. Because either it scales or they think it scales better.
      2. Because it's better than much of the competition in that market (although far worse than vBulletin in any possible way)

P.S. I personally see some of that board as quite a risk security wise, at least because from my experience of forums using it in the past, it uses HTML in posting. And my experience from seeing one of these forums in action with HTML allowed is kinda in the vein of 'some pretty much chaotic misuse of HTML involving styles getting completely screwed up and lost accounts'.
      DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Lithium solutions are developed, hosted and managed by Lithium.

The large corporate board owners do not want to manage their own sites and would rather pay hundreds of thousands of dollars every year to have someone else do it.
        Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
        The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
        vBulletin 5 API

Comment

where can i get a link to these forum softwares? be interesting to see another type on the interwebz
          Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
            where can i get a link to these forum softwares? be interesting to see another type on the interwebz
            http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/
            http://real.lithium.com/real/

Those are two powered by Lithium that come to mind.

I don't personally care for it that much.
            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

One only has to do a search on a Lithium forum to know why big corps use it.
              Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

Originally posted by AWS View Post
                One only has to do a search on a Lithium forum to know why big corps use it.
                o thank you wise one

Comment

vbulletin is many time user friendly than any forum out there.

Comment

Sony actually uses vBulletin too..

Comment

Lol, checked both the links to those forums, and NONE of them even come CLOSE to being as good as vBulletin, this really does make me a proud customer
                      Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                        Lol, checked both the links to those forums, and NONE of them even come CLOSE to being as good as vBulletin, this really does make me a proud customer
                        I'm sure the server admins say the same thig about Lithium.
                        Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X