OpenX vBulletin expert help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenX vBulletin expert help needed

I am wanting to set up an Open X application for my network of vBulletin forums complete with templates with pre determined zones that would all be step and repeat for all the forum index and display pages.

I want the templates on each forum to be the same so the zones are consistent across all three forums so I can rotate banner ads within.

If you have expertise with OpenX and vB please contribute to this thread with some advice on how to set this up properly.

My developer mentions that Open X needs to be set up on the server with it's own domain to control the distribution of the ads to the various sites, others mention that this is a difficult task and is hard to pull off, so I am looking for some help here.

AVC, I am not a programmer by trade and found OpenX easy to setup. You can set it up on any domain you want and serve ads using the Javascript codes it generates. In order to get help setting it up, you'll need to ask much more specific questions. I recommend installing it on the domain you want to serve ads from, play around with it, and then come back when you hit a brick wall or need advice on why you should do things one way or another.
    David Edelman
    Diabetes DailyDiabetes Forumtwitter.com/davidtalkdavidedelman.com

Comment

Great David, thanks for the encouragement, but I will still need a programmers help just to get the app running on the domain and to set up the template and proper zones.

This is worth looking at because by my understanding, I can set up the app on a host and point ads to all of my forums from one control panel, I just want all of the templates to be exactly the same so I can make things streamlined.

Comment

It's definitely easy to implement. The Zones that OpenX uses are very flexible and easy to setup. For example, let's say you want a leaderboard on each site. First, you can create a zone for leaderboard on each of your websites. This makes it easy to target a specific leaderboard to show on any particular site. Next, you can create a zone for a network-wide leaderboard. Now you can go into the site-specific leaderboard zones and say: "If there are no ads available for this specific zone, then show the network-wide leaderboard."

Personally, I have a different leaderboard zone for each section of my site, for the entire site, and for a network of sites. My next step is to allow targeting of specific forums using variables.
        David Edelman

Comment

Thanks davide101, some are telling me to go with OpenX's hosted solution or to let DoubleClick or 247 Real Media's platform versus hosting my own OpenX app.

Anyone else have ideas on the way to go here to run similar zones on 3 different vB forums.

Do I need to have identical templates and styles on all the forums ?

Comment

The hosted solution is a great value if you don't have the technical expertise to get it running. There are no trade-offs to using this solution other than potential cost (and that would be low if you are serving that many ads).

You do not need to use the same templates. You simply need to insert the ad codes where you want them to go in each forum. In fact, you would definitely want to use a different ad code for each position on each forum. Otherwise you'll have no way of tracking which forum is generating which ad impressions and clicks.

The Hosted version is free, so I would just set it up and give it a shot. Start with one ad spot and make sure you understand how it works and then add more. You can roll this out slowly without any interruption to your sites.
            David Edelman

Comment

Thanks, you are a big help.

How are the ad codes set up on certain forum display pages (within the templates) ?

Comment

I'm not sure exactly what you are asking. If you simply need to insert the ad codes in templates, I would search through the template modifications at vB.org for help on that. If you need to target ads to specific forums by, for example, forumid, then check out variable targeting on the OpenX website.
                David Edelman

Comment

As a former openx user, I strongly recommend you to use Google Admanager. I wrote an integration for it so you can target all your forums, scripts (forumdisplay, showthread) and usergroups within Google Admanager.

Comment

That's interesting, I think I have seen your mod and read a bit about it before.

Thanks for the input, I will look at that option also.

Comment

Working...
                    X