Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paypal what is it playing at ?

Hi there.

I just spent ages launching a discount scheme for my website. I set up a Palpal account to accept credit card orders.

I launched it tonight and it went 100% pear shaped as paypal was not accepting *any* payments from anyone !?

I am based in the UK and 90% of my orders will come from the UK>

Does anyone has any knowledge that they can share with me ?

I need a fast fix to this. Help would be great

Regards,

veedee
    Talking loud but aint saying nothing.

I recomand the following for international useres:
    http://www.revecom.com/default.asp

Check it out.. I use them and am satisfyed with them...
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    *--------* (IN THE NAME Of ALLAH THE MOST MERCIFUL) *------*
    ============================================================
    =================== Turki M. Al-Ballaa =================
    ============================================================
    I am a Saudi, I am an Arab, I am a Muslim, I am a Human!!
    @@ All Humans are one, the only difference is in [email protected]@
    So peace and prosperity to all, may we all live in harmony.
    Salam! Peace!

www.arabianoasis.net
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Comment

Hi,

I am not sure what you are referencing with PayPal. Can you please provide some specifics? We are not experiencing any problems on our end (that I am aware of).
      Last edited by paypaldamon; Thu 27th Sep '01, 5:50pm.

Comment

Paypal customer relations here? wow...

anyway, the problem is that if you are in the UK you have to get your credit card validated to use paypal. This is a server pain because you have to look up the number on your credit card bill. If you can get it online then you might be able to get the number there (both of my accounts did not display it), often they won't tell you over the phone so you have to wait for your statement. That can take a few weeks from when you signed up. Add to it that some statements do not even list the full length and miss the number.

It took me a long time to get my account validated.

That is the problem basically. I use www.worldpay.com to take payments and they are brilliant. They have a high ish setup fee and an anual fee but apart from that they are brilliant. Always there to help and good transaction rates.
        Christopher Padfield
        Web Based Helpdesk
        DeskPRO v3.0.3 Released - Download Demo Now!

Comment

Hi chrispadfield,

Thanks for the clarification. I was trying to see what the issue was with this.

The verification process can be time-consuming (in some cases), but it is part of our anti-fraud efforts (verifying the card increases the probability that it is the actual cardholder, which reduces the potential for chargebacks). Users can try to get the information from the credit card companies prior to the statements arriving, but the credit card company might not be happy that there was a call to get the verification information.

I do appreciate your taking the time to express those concerns.

Comment

I understand the need to protect agains fraud but it the credit card fraud rate so much higher in the UK compared to the USA that this is needed? would not requiring the security code (back of card) and an address match be sufficient (this would require the actual card in the person's possesion, which of course could be stolen but then so could the statement). on top of that allow for manual processing of payments, i know if memebers from my website are paying for a subscription that they are not going to steal a card to do it, it would achieve them nothing. if the chargebacks are delegated to the responsibility of the merchant you can allow them to decide which transactions they want validated and which not.

either way these are only suggestions. worldpay is doing me well
            Christopher Padfield
            Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

The primary difference is that there is not an AVS flag (address verification) like we have available in the US for validating cards. To get around this, while also remaining secure, we employ the random charge process.

Merchants do carry chargeback liability, but they would like to see as much of it eliminated as possible (due to fraudulent usage).

Many thanks for your words. It is always good to get in on what consumers want, think,etc.

Comment

no problem. nice to see you guys care, i was very happy when paypal went international, waiting on that email list about 9 months very useful for paying people just not so great the other way round if you are international (yet?!).
                Christopher Padfield
                Web Based Helpdesk

Comment

Hi,

Well, I am glad to report that we have some really cool changes on the plate for the international product. I won't release details until they are live, but I do think they will make quite a few international users very,very happy

Comment

I think the problem is as you say Chris, I dont have a credit card though, only a debit one, but I can buy stuff form the net. Anyway I think that sucks, it looks so easy to set up but it isnt. Back to good old recieving cheques in the post.

*sigh*

Comment

80% of my users are in the UK.

I looked into using PayPal on my site but the fact that my users would have to sign up and then go through a lengthy validation process means they are absolutely not going to use the service to make a payment.

In fact it would be easier for them to send me cash in the post!

I manage to use my UK credit card to buy things all the time and I don't have a problem. They also do check my address why can't paypal do the same?

Nobody is going to use a service that you have to signup for before you use it.
                      Motorsport Forums

Comment

Mark H - good man well said.
                        I feel exactly the same

I managed to rope a local bike shop into taking the credit card orders for me, so I am happy. My D servers have just been paid for for the next 12 months, the rest is profit

Woo hoo

Comment

Working...
                        X