This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TomJames View Post
    Is the Alienware any good? Tempted to get one once I need to replace my iMac.
    You can get one of Dell's XPS systems with the same hardware, built on the same line by the same people and shipped from the same loading dock for less money.

All Alienware machines are these days are Dells with a fancy case.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan Ashbrook View Post
      I always recommend HP (note, NOT anything labeled with Compaq, just HP), you can't really go wrong with a custom build HP, which is what the one I'm using right now is. It's an HP TouchSmart with 500 GB HDD, BD-ROM, 4 GB RAM, Vista 64-bit, etc. It is a really nice computer, and I highly recommend it.
      I've been buying all HP equipment lately. Thinking about a Touchsmart but have read they are a little under-powered compared to all-in-ones from other companies like Dell. The tradeoff though is the touch screen and the Touchsmart is dead quiet. Any issues?
      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by simsim View Post
        The red car minimodel is super cool, is it a Camaro?
        It's a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT 8.
        That's the end of that!

Comment

http://i.gizmodo.com/5216644/if-you-...s-on-your-desk

Comment

Originally posted by simsim View Post
            ^^ Nice & clean setup, except for the weird laptop in a drawer! The red car minimodel is super cool, is it a Camaro?
            Originally posted by MrNase View Post
            It's a 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT 8.
            That's correct.

I was in love for over a year with it, but since I test drove the new Camaro 2SS fully loaded i found new love only the wife don't let me sell my current car, 300 SRT8, which is more a fast family car, the Dodge and Camaro is good when your single or when you have a wife/girlfriend and no kids and dogs

The old weird still working KDS laptop in the drawer only monitors my servers and network.

Pricewise I would not recommend the Alien, for that money you can buy the XPS from Dell for less as Wayne said, it's just the name and looks that got me hooked on the Alien, but i have to say if you have the money i go with the Alien, next to the Alien, Dell and HP are my favorite brands.
            KCi aka Rhyze

Comment

I'll have to post my set-up someday, i have a 13" macbook on my desk and a 20" dell Inspiron 520 on my computer table, both are hooked up to printers. Next to that i have my tv which has a PS3 and Wii hooked up to it (I need some relax time from designing and coding y'know lol) I also have a PSP on my desk next to my laptop as i'm a PSP freak.

My 'workstation' is pretty messy, but it's the cleanest it's ever been in years. Will post pics when I get the time.

Comment

I can't handle more than 2 monitors
                Sound District

Comment

Originally posted by Shazz™ View Post
                  I can't handle more than 2 monitors
                  and 1 here.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                    I've been buying all HP equipment lately. Thinking about a Touchsmart but have read they are a little under-powered compared to all-in-ones from other companies like Dell. The tradeoff though is the touch screen and the Touchsmart is dead quiet. Any issues?
                    Thus far, no problems whatsoever. The computer is very quiet, I was surprised.

I highly recommend it.
                    Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                      Compaq are horrible machines. I am sure their workstations are perfect line up for their expansive server. But .. that's about it. For an office to get compaq machines and then have 1 problem .. you dont want to attempt repairing it, you just want to buy a new one .. which you will have to do a lot.

No, I consulted a few times for companies moving from windows to unix platform, or from old unix to windows .. and I always recommended against compaq, and will keep doing so. Dell professional line is pretty stable, machines last for 10 years, and the return/warranty/swapping machines, etc contracts are pretty solid for business. I am not sure if Dell is the best choice, but it is a good one. Compared to Compaq.

And yes, that is speaking out of experience (and not just by saying no to compaq, but by installing ranges of compaq machines and maintenance contracts that meant nothing)..
                      I prefer using Acers myself but Compaq for the time being. This machine that I am working on at the moment isn't too bad for my first computer.
                      As for Dell computers. We used them in at the uni that I go to. They were nothing but rubbish.
                      I prefer to run windows on my machine as well because it gives you more of an opportunity to work with more programs.
                      My uncle owns a mac and his computer is great but he often has to update everything.
                      But as you are saying each to their own I guess. I will post up my workstation soon as well. Just so that everyone can see what my pc is like.
                      Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum
                      Come and talk sports all day long

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        I know you aren't talking to me. I was also looking around for HP or Acer. I found them both to be expensive for what I wanted.
                        Compaq was in a package with the monitor, keyboard, mouse and hard drive.

I am set up on the internet through telstra bigpond.
                        Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

That said, .. if Compaq works, or Windows works for people, etc .. Why not .. If what you got is ok, no problems there then.

Comment

Originally posted by hawksgirl View Post
                            My uncle owns a mac and his computer is great but he often has to update everything.
                            Please explain.
                            That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                              Please explain.
                              He has a Mac and whenever he has to go online he always has to update everything. It is rather annoying for him when all he wants to do is go and check his emails.
                              Aussiefootyforums

New Site New forum

Comment

This is quite funny because my dad has the same problems… But he is using Windows XP.
                                That's the end of that!

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X