Google understands vBulletin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer Chat Google understands vBulletin

I was googling for "cpdavd" when suddenly I realized that Google understands vBulletin, explaining how many posts there are in the page, how many authors and when the last post had been made.

cpanel cpdavd - Web Hosting Talk - The largest, most influential ...
    4 posts - 3 authors - Last post: 10 Apr
    cpanel cpdavd Hosting Software and Control Panels.
    www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=684678 - 46k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

100% memory usage, no trafficked sites. - KnownHost Community Forum

10 posts - Last post: 20 Dec 2007
    I disable cpdavd and cphulkd on my VPS as I don't have any users that use cpdavd (web drive) and cphulkd just sits there taking up memory ...
    forums.knownhost.com/showthread.php?t=1223 - 73k - Cached - Similar pages - Note this

Very nice.
    Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Wow, nice catch

I always knew Google liked vbulletin.
    Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

Comment

Interesting stuff - nice find Milado!

Now the question is, does it give higher page rank to forum pages or not...
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
        Now the question is, does it give higher page rank to forum pages or not...
        Based on the democratic nature of Google Search algorithm, I don't think so.
        Syrian Medical Society - mi la do - My Hacks - vCharset converter - Projects Queue

I want to breathe the freedom, and to strew the mounts of nostalgia in your eyes.

Comment

I think it may even hinder it.

Which is why I have done some tests to see if that's the case or not, while they are no where near conclusive - I think it may well be the case.
          What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

A forum page, like any page, may contain valuable or silly contents, so I assume the template of any page won't have an advantage in the matter of ranking.

Comment

Sorry to say, but .. I think it's just a listing of details in a search result. I do NOT see what that has to do with SEO. I can't believe this thread immediately turned into that direction.

Yeah. I emailed years ago and in 2007 again the suggestion that communities have fixed data now and search results from newsletters subscriptions, mailing lists, forums, blogs, etc. could include a mention of such details to indicate activity.

Comment

It isn't a vBulletin thing per se but something they are applying to all sites which receive comments on a topic. Its an interesting change. Might change a few minds if your site comes up as seemingly random link A vs. seemingly random link b.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I have a site with vbulletin integrated into it. I end up getting more search results for keywords in the forum than in the main site even when the forum is not the main part. So I think Google does understand vbulletin really well.
                  www.christianforumsite.com
                  sigpic

Comment

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/200...on-boards.html

Comment

Ah cool stuff .

Comment

Well needed change imo All too often I'll google a problem and find a link to a forum where the thread is years out of date and no longer relevant. The ubutnu forum results were very bad for this.

Comment

Very cool
                          I noticed this the other day, too.
                          Regards,
                          Nick

Comment

Very nice from the smart Google.

EDIT: The stats aren't accurate, at least for arabic communities.
                            Last edited by Mazinger; Fri 17 Oct '08, 2:31pm.
                            $post[signature]

Comment

Once Google starts to show data for other kinds of web pages, we can expect to see an option to restrict the search results to a certain category (forums, reviews, blogs, news articles).
                              I dont think thats so good, as effectively someone searching can choose to exclude "Forum type Pages" and then none of our pages will show......

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X