UBB now with PHP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBB now with PHP!

Looks like the UBB is now gonna work with either Perl or PHP. Check out the thread about it at http://ubbforums.infopop.com/cgi-bin...&f=27&t=001476

If you read David's post in that thread you will see that UBB will not be written in PHP. It is simply using PHP as a wrapper to try and speed up it's CGI scripts. All of the underlying code is CGI/Perl.
    UBB is still written in Perl/CGI and that is never going to change.

Comment

Hi James.

I have no idea what that means. How is a PHP wrapper different than writing it in PHP?

Comment

Originally posted by glha12
        Hi James.

I have no idea what that means. How is a PHP wrapper different than writing it in PHP?
        It's all mentioned in the thread.

What I can say for sure is that Yes, you can toggle it from the control panel. No, you do not need PHP to use the UBB, and No, the UBB has not gone all PHP. Yes, we still use flat files, No, there is no MySQL or other database type interface. The back end is still the same. It is still perl, with a PHP wrapper that will allow you to use PHP's quicker startup time and zlib compression to increase the performance of your UBB greatly. It will allow you - with a properly configured server - to serve your (cached pages only) UBB via this wrapper. A quick glance at some of the beta tester's findings are that 50 to 66% of pages served are from cache. This can mean an incredible savings in server rescource and bandwidth transfer.

Comment

Direct quote from Capps from another thread
          UBB will never use anything other than Perl/flatfiles

Comment

never?

Comment

Originally posted by Jakeman
              never?

Yes CC is now head of IP R&D

http://forums.cpfc.org/

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
              Working...
              X