This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Storage

So I recently started my Computer Science degree and whilst I am easily getting to grips with some aspects of the course others I am not. I was doing an exercise earlier on data storage and came across so questions that gave me a little difficulty. I know some of you guys are undertaking similar degrees so I thought it would be a good idea to ask for some help Any explanations of how you get the answer would be excellent. I am going to ask my lecturer on Thursday, but I would like to try and figure out the answers before then.

1. What value is represented by the bit pattern 01011100 when interpreted using floating-point format in which the most significant bit is the sign bit, the next three bits represent the exponent field in excess notation, and the last four bits represent the mantissa?

a . -1 1/2b. 1 1/2
    c. -3/8
    d. 3/8

2.In which of the following addition problems (using two’s complement notation) does an overflow error occur?

A 0011 + 1010 _______

B 0100 + 0100 _______

C 1100 + 1100 _______

3. What is the largest value that can be represented in a floating-point system in which each value is encoded by a byte whose most significant bit is the sign bit, the next three bits represent the exponent field in excess notation, and the last four bits represent the mantissa? Express your answer in decimal.

Many Thanks

Please do your own homework. This forum is not the place for that.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
    Working...
    X