Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first client.

Hi all,

So I met a man online and he is looking to have a website created. I have only done freelance once with a friend so far so I am not sure what to look out for or how much to charge.

I am a junior in college so I don't plan on charging an insane amount of money. He needs a layout designed and coded by wednesday. I told him I would give him a price and rough preview of the layout monday night.

When selling a layout does he get the layout and the copyright? It is his design now, correct? I should ask for the payment or half the payment before I send him the design? Any suggestions on a price? He was going to pay 200-400 for a design online until he met me. I can't charge him that much because he helped me out a bit with my computer and I am new to freelance so I don't want to demand anything crazy.

Any suggestions? If I shouldn't post this here I am sorry. I'm not trying to sell my services or anything just looking for advice. Thanks.
    last + blue = lsatblu

Tales Otaku Admin - Tales Forums Admin

I sell my layout/design in three portions:

- share license (they pay 40%, options are : no customizations, no resell or copyright rights, option to get branding-free) Comes with flat normal sized psd gdk.

- unique license (they pay 80%, options are : customized to their requirements, does not include resell rights or copyright, option to get branding-free) Comes with layered dev sized psd gdk

- owned license (they pay 100%, customized to their requirements, includes full copyright and resell rights) Comes with layered dev sized psd gdk

This means certain designed styles end up being used by multiple users.
    Some designs are sold as unique, only one client uses it, and is free to use it throughout their whole business.
    And certain designs are completely uniquely made for them, include full resell and copyright rights. All licenses have branding-free option, except the full rights one, since then it's in their right to remove it.

Most of the time when someone wants a quick style they get shared license.
    Most of the time they want a custom style, they get the unique license.
    And it's rare someone buys full copyright version fully customized to their company/site.

You should start with a base price.
    So even if you put hours and effort into it, and they decline the design and wish to move on. You get paid to cover your costs (hours, costs, draft design, and risk they decline it and still use it, etc). You can decide what you think you're professionalism is. Say $50 base price, to $500 base price. This is something they pay up front and in full, and is not refundable. And your agreement includes that the base price gets paid, even if they decline the draft, with the exception that you were unable to produce a draft at all within the agreed time.

You can set a default fee per page. So if they want a frontpage layout, and a separate one for articles and news, and a separate one for normal pages, and another one for blog pages... using the same design. You can just ask like $25 to $250 per page layout. OR you can ask a set price for the design, regardless of complexity and amount of layouts; which could be between $250 to $2500 depending on again how much you think you're worth.

You can say that you can make a draft they can accept or decline for a base price of $100. And the design for a set fee of $250.. So a total of $350. OR You could set a base price of $199 and ask $49/layout page and $299 for the design that fits the layout, and $499 to customize it or intergrate it with their unique design. And offer $499 for resell and copyright fee.

As you can see.. it just depends on how professional, how big, how complex, how time consuming, etc.

But if you get a rough layout on Monday, you work on it on Tuesday and offer it to them in full on Wednesday .. I certainly would pick a set fixed price with a base price.
    For example 6 hours work for $20/hour and a base price and $99 for the layout/design.

Or do it for $99 total, no questions asked .. and the rights to use the work for promotional/portfolio/resume reference material. So you invest in them to build a client base, to get started, to try out how good you are, etc. Low risk, big long term return.

Comment

Floris, thank you so much for taking the time to write all that. I will go with the $99 dollars flat fee and I get the rights to use it in my promotional/portfolio/resume. I need to build a list of clients and because I did not have it planned where I told the guy my hour rates and base charge for a draft I feel like I shouldn't and in the future I will have all of that prepared. For now the $99 dollars sounds great.

I am going to include the html and css because I said I would and he has no way of coding it himself. I will just make it part of the package. I can then write on my resume, design and coding was done for that client.

One last question though, its basically a verbal agreement (well over email, PM and AIM) that he will send me the money through paypal and then I will e-mail him the files? Should I write something up stating he agrees to allow me to use the design in the future for my portfolio and resume but he is free to do what he wishes with it. Or just screenshot our conversation?

In the future I will use the copyright addon for more money but not for my first time dealing with a client. I just want to make sure he likes the design I worked on for the past few hours and will continue to work on after he approves. And in the future I will also keep tract of the hours I spend and tell them a head of time my hourly charge.

Thanks again!
      last + blue = lsatblu

Comment

So I met a man online
        I am a junior in college
        Be careful mate.
        Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
          Be careful mate.
          I agree, seems a little odd to me that you would be approached this way, when from what I can gather you don't even have a website design portfolio together that he's seen and liked. Just remember, there is no reason on earth - why he should be asking for personal details. Like phone number, home address, your age, were you come from, real name etc.

If he starts to ask those type of questions, drop him like a lead weight.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 17 Oct '08, 6:23am.

Comment

Hi all,

Thanks for your concerns.

It worked out fine, He paid me half, I sent him the design then he paid the other half. So I got paid, he is happy with the design and I am happy now.

Thanks all.
            last + blue = lsatblu

Comment

Time to build the resume and portfolio, so you're ready for the next client
              Don't forget to write down in a document the things that didn't go well and did go well. So you are prepared for the next design and know what policy to use then to design a new style.

Comment

I agree, seems a little odd to me that you would be approached this way, when from what I can gather you don't even have a website design portfolio together that he's seen and liked. Just remember, there is no reason on earth - why he should be asking for personal details. Like phone number, home address, your age, were you come from, real name etc.

If he starts to ask those type of questions, drop him like a lead weight.
                From what i said, i talk from experience...
                Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  Time to build the resume and portfolio, so you're ready for the next client
                  Don't forget to write down in a document the things that didn't go well and did go well. So you are prepared for the next design and know what policy to use then to design a new style.
                  Haha good idea Floris. I have to get my personal website up online after I finish my hobby one.

Then I do have to set prices and have everything prepared.
                  last + blue = lsatblu

Comment

Originally posted by hitmancode47 View Post
                    So I met a man online
                    I am a junior in college
                    Be careful mate.
                    I'm sorry, but I couldn't help but remember the warnings from my mother telling me the same about strangers, candy and vans. I totally thought this was the same line you were going on.

From personal experience, this is my advice:
                    Get as much as you can in writing, only work after you've gotten half the money up front. Don't fully give him the source (ie: let him "preview" the site in his browser, even) of the finished work until you receive the full payment.

Once you know you can trust a client, I wouldn't worry, but for people who appear from the great beyond, I'd be wary.

Comment

Just curious, can I see what you've done?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                      Working...
                      X