• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Steve Machol
    Former Customer Support Manager

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Originally posted by Greps View Post
    well, seeing as that Wayne Luke is having a bad day (probably after taking a look at the IPB forum and reading all the IPB3 goodness) and closing threads left and right, I think it's only fair that we continue our discussion here.
    I'm closing this one so if you want to blame someone then by all means blame me.

Unlike our competition, we have always allowed a LOT of leeway when it comes to posts touting our competitors and criticizing us. However as we have found, this just opens the door to trolls from our competition to take advantage of our openness, hide behind anonymity and use our forums to promote their products.

While we have no problem listening to opinions from our customers, it's obvious that certain people and companies are actively using this policy against us. It presents us with a fine line between allowing honest evaluation and discussion, and giving trolls a platform to promote their own interests.

Given that, I honestly see no purpose to yet another 'poll' or thread like this. Frankly like this is more suitable to a totally neutral site - not a company forum.

Leave a comment:

• Chousho

• Chousho
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    This is liking going to a Republican convention and asking if they prefer their own party or the Democrats.
    Actually, I'd say it's akin to:

IPB = Apple: mainly praised for how it looks
    VB = MS: When most people think of paid forum software, they go to the bulwark
    phpBB = Linux: Free to customize and give away, but sometimes you forget why you ever picked it and take a night out on the town to forget your woes.

I voted both. Both companies have put plenty of hard work into their products, and it shows. However, I'm not going to compare 2 softwares that haven't even seen the light of day yet. I just hope VB has been listening to the c&c of their customers, as well as keeping up to date with what's currently happening in the tech scene.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeSmoke

• NegativeSmoke
    replied
    Originally posted by Chelf12 View Post
    True. You forgot to mention they are more expensive in the long run, NS.
    Ah yes, thank you for mentioning that.

Isn't it like $150 every 6 months or is that a one time fee? I'm not entirely sure here....I know that most IPB forums that aren't truly 'commercial' sites, don't last very long either. I've been a part of one for awhile and it's dead 90% of the time. Although I guess that's the webmaster's fault, not the software's.

Still though, I prefer vB all around.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
    This poll is utterly retarded and unnecessary.

to the OP: are you an idiot? you make a poll asking which is better, vB or IPB, on vB's OFFICIAL SUPPORT FORUMS nonetheless.

Do you HONESTLY think the majority will say IPB is better? Naw.

I've used IPB in the past (1.0-1.3, 2.1.5, 2.2.2, 2.3.5) They aren't anything fancy to look at IMO. IPB is good software, don't get me wrong, but I refuse to pay for something that was once said to "always be free."

Aside from that, I HATE the profile design of IPB, I know you can go back to "Classic view" but that is just plain boring, when I was developing Zero Boards, I sat down with my members (we were on zetaboards at the time.) and we had a poll up, much like this one, it stated the pros and cons of each software and on top of that, i gave various examples of each software's parts, the blog systems, the thread designs/flexibility, the profiles especially. The majority voted for vB so that is what I invested my money in.

vB4 will run circles around IPB3, IPB was started in 1999 and they still haven't gotten it right yet.
    No name calling of members please, .. if we can't behave in this thread we will close it. And disallow future discussions like these.

We do not mind the discussion of our software, and other software. But we can't allow trolling/flaming/personal attacks/ or yet another this vs that thread, or advertising their features, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Chelf12

• Chelf12
    replied
    Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post

to the OP: are you an idiot? you make a poll asking which is better, vB or IPB, on vB's OFFICIAL SUPPORT FORUMS nonetheless.

I've used IPB in the past (1.0-1.3, 2.1.5, 2.2.2, 2.3.5) They aren't anything fancy to look at IMO. IPB is good software, don't get me wrong, but I refuse to pay for something that was once said to "always be free."

Aside from that, I HATE the profile design of IPB, I know you can go back to "Classic view" but that is just plain boring, when I was developing Zero Boards, I sat down with my members (we were on zetaboards at the time.) and we had a poll up, much like this one, it stated the pros and cons of each software and on top of that, i gave various examples of each software's parts, the blog systems, the thread designs/flexibility, the profiles especially. The majority voted for vB so that is what I invested my money in.

vB4 will run circles around IPB3, IPB was started in 1999 and they still haven't gotten it right yet.
    True. You forgot to mention they are more expensive in the long run, NS.

Leave a comment:

• NegativeSmoke

• NegativeSmoke
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cheat-master30

• cheat-master30
    replied
    I'm going to say vBulletin, for all the reasons I've given in the past, but this is the worst possible kind of topic to open on a forum that's featured in the poll/vote/topic because of the hugely one sided results you'll often get.

Leave a comment:

• Floris

• Floris
    replied
    well, seeing as that Wayne Luke is having a bad day (probably after taking a look at the IPB forum and reading all the IPB3 goodness) and closing threads left and right, I think it's only fair that we continue our discussion here.

personally, I would like someone like Kier to step in and clarify the current situation - whether or not Jelsoft are going to become more open or stand by and watch some of their oldest customers switch to competition.
    I strongly suggest you change your posting behavior, especially towards the staff. Your post is uncalled for and based on nonsense. Read the forum rules again before posting again.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    vBulletin Technical Support Lead

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    I've closed one thread in the last week. Sorry. I also do not visit the IPB forums at all. It has no bearing on my job whether I do or not.

Leave a comment:

• Greps

• Greps
    replied

personally, I would like someone like Kier to step in and clarify the current situation - whether or not Jelsoft are going to become more open or stand by and watch some of their oldest customers switch to competition.

Leave a comment:

• OldRockSongs

• OldRockSongs
    replied
    figures, but I voted for IPB because I like it better.

Leave a comment:

• Shazz™

• Shazz™
    replied
    Originally posted by OldRockSongs View Post
    I was just doing this for fun, no need to start arguments.
    Threads been made too many times
    vBulletin ususally wins in every thread where ever its made.

Leave a comment:

• OldRockSongs

• OldRockSongs
    replied
    I was just doing this for fun, no need to start arguments.

Leave a comment:

• MRGTB

• MRGTB
    replied
    Don't see the point in this poll at all, this IPB v's vBulletin (current versions) has been done many times with quite predictable results.

Would have been much better to have done a "IPB3 v's vBulletin 3" vote poll. Seeing as IPB3 will be with us before vBulletin 4 is out. And it will be a case of people choosing between IPB3 and vBulletin 3 next (I'm guessing before Christmas too).

Leave a comment:

• Quillz

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Dream View Post
    it's not out yet though
    I imagine he's going by speculation, though, since IPS has revealed quite a bit of the IPB 3 feature set already. And I'd agree with him. I think a fairer comparison would be IPB 3 vs. vBulletin 4, though.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X