Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation "eBay Blackout" - 2008 Holiday Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Originally posted by GoTTi View Post
    our recession cant take all the credit.
    I'd argue it would. If it could knock big retailers like Circuit City into Chapter 11 or put the big three nearly out of business, it can most certainly account for sales drops

Leave a comment:

• GoTTi
    replied
    Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
    Are you sure it's Operation eBay Blackout that's doing the damage or is it more likely the economic downturn?
    our recession cant take all the credit.

Leave a comment:

• Anthony89
    replied
    Are you sure it's Operation eBay Blackout that's doing the damage or is it more likely the economic downturn?
    Exactly.

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    the boycott is going great. alot of big seller names turning out for it. its getting more attention. thanks to whoever is holding the boycott/strike down.

Leave a comment:

• pk698
    replied
    Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
    If you want to get back at ebay, build a better ebay.

I started an ebay alternative a couple years back but never finished it due to lack of time. site was called everylist.com

I have a problem what makes a "better" ebay because "better" is relative. What I consider better in my mind might not be to others.

If anyone has any idea / tips as to what makes a "better" ebay let me know.

the goal is basically to move away from ebay as a online marketplace and use other sites that are much lower in cost for sellers, which keep cost down for buyers.
    I started everylist.com as an alternative to ebay where it will (if I ever get a chance to launch it) be free to list auctions. Basically, the everylist auction has ZERO transaction fees.

But a site of this size takes some time to launch, and right now it's on pause until I have a little more time.

With the price of web hosting costing less than $100 a year, it would probably be a good time to get my site going again.

So far, I think the only way to beat ebay is to let sellers sell it cheap, or even free.

Some strong points for ebay:
    1. HUGE community - very tough to convince them to switch
    2. trusted feedback system - sure, it has its flaws, but those with good/long history of feedbacks are not willing to switch and start over
    3. they got paypal - it's fast and easy. yes the fees suck but people are willing to pay for security
    4. anything else I miss?

If I were to try to launch this site, I would have a very difficult time with #1. It can be done, but I'm not quite sure how.

Yes, some are probably saying, it takes money.

But I don't know because we really don't need to convince all of the ebay community to switch. Instead, just the "right" amount to get the snowball rolling.

And we all know about the snowball effect for a website.

Anyways, if anyone is willing to talk more about everylist, just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• GoTTi
    replied
    the boycott is going great. alot of big seller names turning out for it. its getting more attention. thanks to whoever is holding the boycott/strike down.

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    Since I'm pretty much broke from buying books anyway, I'll just consider that my part in not passing money through eBay and Paypal ;D

Leave a comment:

• GoTTi
    replied
    tomorrow is the day we start our holiday strike. good luck to everyone holding it down.
    no ebay
    no paypal
    we will get results

Leave a comment:

• GoTTi
    replied
    Originally posted by FreshFroot_ View Post
    Actually Amazon isn't too bad. Lots of cheap prices there and no bidding needed
    ya amazon is a good place to buy things. i shop from there from time to time.

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Or better yet, shop Amazon Marketplace
    Actually Amazon isn't too bad. Lots of cheap prices there and no bidding needed

Leave a comment:

• ManagerJosh
    replied
    Or better yet, shop Amazon Marketplace

Leave a comment:

• FreshFroot_
    replied
    Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post
    These ideas are the same as:
    "dont buy gas on a certain day. If we all do this, it will hurt the oil companies"

In reality, it wont hurt them at all.
    You may slow the "ebay stores" but what you really are doing is hurting the small person who are trying to make a few extra bucks for the holiday season.

Yeah, I do agree that the fees with paypal and ebay aren't the best they used to be.
    But I do a small amount of shopping on ebay through the course of the year and even with the fees, we "Still" save alot of money vs buying it from the just as greedy company like Wal-mart
    Agreed.

One day of a boycott will not hurt the company. It would need to be long term, and more like months.

One day is a waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• Reeve of Shinra
    replied
    If you want to get back at ebay, build a better ebay.

Leave a comment:

• GoTTi
    replied
    actually yahoo isnt around any longer. its very unfortunate. just one day they closed doors....they wouldve been the premier marketplace if they hadnt done that.

Leave a comment:

• ComputerVitals
    replied
    you do shopping, but do you sell on ebay?
    I have in the past, last time would probably be about a year ago. Not exactly sure. But more shopping then selling.

Dont get me wrong here. I do aggree the fees of payapl and ebay are high, but thats also the price of business. You can't boycott the credit card companies because they charge a high intrest rate.

Problem we all have it, there are other market places out there. IE craigslist, yahoo, and and a few others I can't remember. I'm sure there are lots more.. But thats that problem. Craigslist is great. But I dont live in a major city, so the chances of finding what I want there are slim. Much less having the seller ship it to me.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X