Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Operation "eBay Blackout" - 2008 Holiday Season!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation "eBay Blackout" - 2008 Holiday Season!

Original Referencing Site: http://www.strikebay.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500

This is the time we can really hurt ebay and take the wind out of the their sail. striking this holiday season will cost them more then they wanted to bargain for.

Starting October 1st, and Ending it on Jan 1, lets do it again! I know it will be difficult to do so, being it is the most craziest time of the year for sales and ebay is still holding as the largest marketplace online, but there are other places out there (most of the large ones are on the forums here) and you can market to other places easily. ebay is NOT needed anymore and we can prove that to them this year.

spread the word, and lets hold down our position, not giving up or giving into ebays greed, their fee structure hikes, and show them that we just dont need them as much as they think we do.

so what do we have to do to not give into ebay? just dont buy and sell things on ebay at all.
    dont use paypal, period. by doing these small changes, all of us, we can do a lot.

Sorry, but you haven't really explained much here. Why and how?

vBSeed - High Quality vBulletin Skins

Comment

These ideas are the same as:
      "dont buy gas on a certain day. If we all do this, it will hurt the oil companies"

In reality, it wont hurt them at all.
      You may slow the "ebay stores" but what you really are doing is hurting the small person who are trying to make a few extra bucks for the holiday season.

Yeah, I do agree that the fees with paypal and ebay aren't the best they used to be.
      But I do a small amount of shopping on ebay through the course of the year and even with the fees, we "Still" save alot of money vs buying it from the just as greedy company like Wal-mart

Comment

oh...well i dont know much about it, i just know i was apart of the first ones.

ebay has done alot of shady deals and things that have affected sellers, small business owners. by raising fees, to removing the negative feedbacks allowed to be given to buyers from sellers. there is a TON of information about stuff that has been coming to light of ebay due to their practices, and thousands of sellers and buyers are fedup with it.

there has been boyccoting scheduled months ago, that hurt ebays pocketbooks. the goal is basically to move away from ebay as a online marketplace and use other sites that are much lower in cost for sellers, which keep cost down for buyers.

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post
          "dont buy gas on a certain day. If we all do this, it will hurt the oil companies"

You may slow the "ebay stores" but what you really are doing is hurting the small person who are trying to make a few extra bucks for the holiday season.

Yeah, I do agree that the fees with paypal and ebay aren't the best they used to be.
          But I do a small amount of shopping on ebay through the course of the year and even with the fees, we "Still" save alot of money vs buying it from the just as greedy company like ebay.

you do shopping, but do you sell on ebay?

Comment

Originally posted by GoTTi View Post
            but do you sell on ebay?
            I do and the new fees are a nightmare.
            That's the end of that!

Comment

its not even just those fees, its the negative feedback being left on buyers that we cant do anymore thats a huge issue. then theres the buy it now fees and other things...its nuts.

Comment

I don't know, maybe some of you like it but I think the reserved price is one of the worst features ever. Now almost everybody uses it and there is little chance to make a hot deal.
                That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                  I don't know, maybe some of you like it but I think the reserved price is one of the worst features ever. Now almost everybody uses it and there is little chance to make a hot deal.
                  Agh, I know what you mean. If people don't want their item bought unless it's X amount of dollars, then that's what they should set the minimum bid for.
                  The inability for sellers to submit negative feedback is a two-edged sword. From what I gathered, it was taken away so that buyers wouldn't be afraid of getting retaliatory negative feedback if they got a bad item and left negative feedback first.

If I recall, this change with the feedback came when the new CEO took over.

Hmm, out of curiosity
                  Mr. Donahoe said sellers appreciate the change in eBay’s fee structure, to be formally announced next week, that will lower their overall costs. The new structure will reduce the initial cost of listing an item, shifting the burden to a percentage of the final sale price. Amazon only charges a fee when a sale is made, and sellers prefer this model because it has less risk for them.
                  http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/0...better-search/

Comment

Originally posted by GoTTi View Post
                    you do shopping, but do you sell on ebay?
                    I have in the past, last time would probably be about a year ago. Not exactly sure. But more shopping then selling.

Dont get me wrong here. I do aggree the fees of payapl and ebay are high, but thats also the price of business. You can't boycott the credit card companies because they charge a high intrest rate.

Problem we all have it, there are other market places out there. IE craigslist, yahoo, and and a few others I can't remember. I'm sure there are lots more.. But thats that problem. Craigslist is great. But I dont live in a major city, so the chances of finding what I want there are slim. Much less having the seller ship it to me.

Comment

actually yahoo isnt around any longer. its very unfortunate. just one day they closed doors....they wouldve been the premier marketplace if they hadnt done that.

Comment

If you want to get back at ebay, build a better ebay.
                        Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

Originally posted by ComputerVitals View Post

But I do a small amount of shopping on ebay through the course of the year and even with the fees, we "Still" save alot of money vs buying it from the just as greedy company like Wal-mart
                          Agreed.

One day of a boycott will not hurt the company. It would need to be long term, and more like months.

One day is a waste of time.

Comment

Or better yet, shop Amazon Marketplace
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                              Or better yet, shop Amazon Marketplace
                              Actually Amazon isn't too bad. Lots of cheap prices there and no bidding needed

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X