Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't my lurkers turn into posters?? :(

Hi,

I've been running this workplace forum OfficeChai.com for job search and career woes since Aug 15th of this year.

Due to my aggressive marketing style [getting email DLs hideously from my old company friends in software and mass mailing them--and with every 50 people I email, i get 40 guests who visit my site and around 10% who register] This way I've got in a small bunch of registrants in less than a month.

Currently I've about 250 verified members, 350 registered members but most all of them are just that--members. No one posts around. I even dragged couple headhunters' butt out there--they do post their handpicked job openings. Visitors read, surf and move ahead. Bounce rate too is satisfactorily hovering around 26%.

But I'm sad that I'm short of ideas to convert lurkers to posters. I call upon the fortunate and experienced forum admins to expound on my dilemma. I feel there is a lot of potential in OfficeChai.com, but being a lone admin, i can do only so much.

I'm even trying now with my college to propose this forum for that campus-connect thing--students morphing into corporates can visit this.

Can someone answer these for me?
    • Is my look-n-feel/theme poor?
    • Are there lesser features i offer?
    • isn't my target audience well defined?
    • I give what any one else hardly does to download in a forum-
      • real salary slips!
      • actual resumes of freshers/seniors in IT
      • nice cover letters to use
      • job consultants contact info
      • handpicked latest job offerings from multiple recruitment agencies
      • Interview questions/selection rounds of cos...etc
    • till now, an ad-free environment

Seems what I'm lacking is a vision, or that passion to engage in my community?

This is my first website ever, but still I invested in VB even if I had other free alternatives, cuz i wanted more to focus on things that matter--the community, rather than spending more time in setting up and running the forum smoothly.

i hope some of the kind souls will invest their 60 seconds to read and other 120 to try to enlighten me.
    Yes
    14.29%
    No
    85.71%

The poll is expired.

ChaiSutta.com - Get Your Chai Sips & Puffs

I found a problem with your site. In the navigation box if you click on FORUM it takes me here >> http://officechai.com/index.php?pageid=forum and if you click on join our community today it gives me a 404 page.
    Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Originally posted by xjuliox View Post
      I found a problem with your site. In the navigation box if you click on FORUM it takes me here >> http://officechai.com/index.php?pageid=forum and if you click on join our community today it gives me a 404 page.
      Thanks, fixed both of them; but do you think those two were the obstructing reasons for 300 registered members being stopped actively posting?
      Last edited by pranaysanghavi; Tue 9 Sep '08, 5:56am.

Comment

I think you should stop panicking, as your membership rate is actually really good for the amount of time your forum has actually been open. You can't expect a big board in a month or two, so I'd say to just relax and keep your community supplied with unique content.

The other advice is to post more yourself, since people won't start posting if there's not enough posting activity ongoing at that moment.
        DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Nice list of features that you list there. Okay style if its a little busy on the front page and graphics heavy but not too bad. Not sure how the photos on the front page affect me at my workplace. They seem appropriate for a personal social networking site but not really one focused on the workplace. If its meant to be more of a "watercooler" site where people hang out and complain or talk about their jobs than the pictures are appropriate. Pick your niche and focus on it.

However the big issue is you don't tell me what you offer when I visit the page the first time. Yeah, there is the standard guest welcome message and a quick blurb or mission statement but nothing really telling me what OfficeChai will do for me to make my job easier or less stressful. Once you do that then I might join. Right now, it doesn't offer me anything about its mission statement. Maybe instead of photos on the front page you should list the latest job offerings on Monster.com or something. Give me a reason to be there on a regular basis instead of browsing through the site in 15 minutes and moving on.

Can't answer the poll though. Whether it succeeds or not depends on the effort that you put into it.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

You know the "category" titles, they are pushed right-up close to the left side with no space. You need to either insert some margin code in the CSS for categorys, or the easiest way to create a little space. Insert some code to create a space before the category title starts.

Try adding the HTML space tag called:  

So your titles look like this:  News and Announcements

Because it doesn't look right!

Comment

I think it looks ok, I like the colors, but I'd check the spacing within the tag cloud I've not seen one that tight before, it's as if some of the letters are running into each other. Looks very smushed together.

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              However the big issue is you don't tell me what you offer when I visit the page the first time. Yeah, there is the standard guest welcome message and a quick blurb or mission statement but nothing really telling me what OfficeChai will do for me to make my job easier or less stressful. Once you do that then I might join. Right now, it doesn't offer me anything about its mission statement. Maybe instead of photos on the front page you should list the latest job offerings on Monster.com or something. Give me a reason to be there on a regular basis instead of browsing through the site in 15 minutes and moving on.
              He's using the VBadvanced CMPS for his front page of course, and I was wondering since you brought it up there, what do you recommend for "telling what the site offers"?

We have made an About link on our front page, and we were thinking of switching to Ted S "text based welcome header", to explain what the forum section offers specifically indifference to the rest of the site.

Your opinion, good, bad, should we do more, or does that sound good enough to at least advise others what we are about??

Comment

Originally posted by legionofangels2 View Post
                He's using the VBadvanced CMPS for his front page of course, and I was wondering since you brought it up there, what do you recommend for "telling what the site offers"?
                Custom content. You can create custom pages and modules with vBAdvanced to get your point across. It isn't the best solution but its available. Also the front page of his site is very crowded. Just because there are three columns and a dozen different modules, doesn't mean you need to use them all.

These sites are vBulletin with vBAdvanced as well:
                http://mactalk.com.au/
                http://www.travelstories.gr/
                http://www.vbhispano.com/
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API

Comment

A heartwarming thanks to all of you dear members who spared your precious time to advise me.

Took me three days a nincompoop that I'm, but now based on your suggestions I've:

1. Rephrased a mission/objective on site for guests. Bit lengthy but I think it will do fine, since my wordings are casual at start
                  2. Reduced the number of columns on cmps home page from 3 to 2 like Wayne recommended
                  3. removed unnecessary modules from cmps home page, again to Wayne
                  4. added more flavored content and spiced attachments to my Chai forums
                  5. Kept posting, replying to new members, and engaging frequently.
                  6. Tried to guide, advise newbies, and freshers.
                  7. Reduced hazy tag cloud from 99 items to 49, to legion
                  8. Fixed minor navigation issues, etc. thanks to xjuliox
                  9. Stopped panicking - enlightenment from cheatmaster

The incomplete things I'm yet to do incorporate based off the same set of suggestions are:
                  1. learn to and create a custom module/template/extra page in vbcmps and vbulletin as need be
                  2. Learn in which template to implement that &nbsp for category titles that MRGTB is mentioning about.
                  3. still rephrase/reform the mission of OfficeChai, and try to make most of the forum parts subtly state the objective
                  4. Keep reading VB forums and continually tweak tune my Chai to keep it hot
                  5. Keep troubling the senior members.

If you have the time/inclination, kindly drop by OfficeChai.com to have a look. Happy Chai'ing...

Comment

Originally posted by pranaysanghavi View Post
                    1. Reduced hazy tag cloud from 99 items to 49, to legion
                    Strange. I use 100 tags in both my News Blog and my Forum with Zoints Tags. I don't know if it's the font you're using or if vBulletin's Tag system spacing is set up improperly, or if it's you're CSS or anything else. But that didn't fix the problem of what I'm seeing.

The number of tags isn't the issue it's the spacing. Look at the big tag "job" and look above that word at "infosys", the dot at the top of the j is on top of the word infosys it looks like. The P in opening is running right over openings, etc. You're tag cloud words are running on top of each other.

Here is our News Archive, via Wordpress:

http://legionofangels.net/wpnews/

100 Tags in the cloud on the left, none of them touch each other or run over each other.

Comment

Am using Arial font. and I'm using the auto thread tagger plugin for tagging, but displaying the tag cloud is just vbulletin default. I didnt know it was showing odd--or if that is seen as odd.

hmm.. any solutions? your tags r neat,
                      2008 Afghanistan Airlines Americans Apple Australia Authorities...

you using all 5 levels? me too... may be VBstaff can help?

Comment

Originally posted by cheat-master30 View Post
                        I think you should stop panicking, as your membership rate is actually really good for the amount of time your forum has actually been open. You can't expect a big board in a month or two, so I'd say to just relax and keep your community supplied with unique content.

The other advice is to post more yourself, since people won't start posting if there's not enough posting activity ongoing at that moment.
                        A commendable article penned by cheatmaster on newbies' paranoia--the timing of that article indicating as if directly taking a stance at my skepticism shown here.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X