new gallery for vB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gallery for vB?

now more than ever we need a new gallery for vB.

PhotoPost vBGallery is has not been updated even with a bugfix release for months and only person who was working on it has "taken a leave" so they are "looking for alternatives at this point". so that one's dead.

PhotoPlog has not been updated for months, there isn't even a vB 3.7 version out yet, so that one is hopeless, too.

and I don't think there are any alternatives worth mentioning.

Hi,
    Originally posted by Greps View Post
    PhotoPlog has not been updated for months, there isn't even a vB 3.7 version out yet, so that one is hopeless, too.
    the actually Photoplog Version works fine with 3.7.3

Comment

I'm hoping the vb Albums become fully fledged galleries - because that's how most end users will see them.

Perhaps offer the basic album pics as standard, but release a vbflickr type paid add on
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Please post suggestions for vBulletin 4 and higher into the suggestion forum.

Note that 3.x is getting near completion and focus will be on vBulletin 4. Do not expect another batch of addons for 3.x - since 3.8 new features are only to complement 3.6 and 3.7's feature list.

And yes, I hope to see a full fledged official gallery addon in future releases too.

I am just assuming here, but the photoplog developer recently took a job with Jelsoft, so she's perhaps busy doing tech support - and since the latest version appears to work with 3.7, I do not think she needs to continue development perhaps? Or it goes on behind closed doors and a new version will be out for 3.8 later this year or early next year?

Comment

I'm more than a little annoyed that Jelsoft has killed off the unofficial blog and gallery competition with their own releases, but beyond that hasn't done much that we can see to bring these addons/features to anywhere near the functionality of now dead unofficial stuff. I really hope that this changes soon.
          Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

now more than ever we need a new gallery for vB.

PhotoPost vBGallery is has not been updated even with a bugfix release for months and only person who was working on it has "taken a leave" so they are "looking for alternatives at this point". so that one's dead.

and I don't think there are any alternatives worth mentioning.
            Photopost advertised a while back in a thread here, that they where willing to sell the rights to vbulletin and let it go to them. So my educated guess is they don't really have that much interest in keeping vBGallery updated anymore. And are mainly interested in their main product.

To be honest though, I think they saw the Social Network (with gallery features), coming. And just wanted to try an off-load it to vB before those gallery features where included in vB. As the reply came from them just before the new version of vbulletin was released with gallery features included in the social networking.

I could be wrong, but there post to me just seemed quite timely.
            Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 6 Sep '08, 12:27pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius View Post
              I'm more than a little annoyed that Jelsoft has killed off the unofficial blog and gallery competition with their own releases, but beyond that hasn't done much that we can see to bring these addons/features to anywhere near the functionality of now dead unofficial stuff. I really hope that this changes soon.
              vBulletin didnt kill them, they authors of those modifications killed them.

Comment

Originally posted by seoVB View Post
                Strong words those seoVB, I would agree that maybe Photopost killed the vBGallery itself, though lack of updates and bug fixed. They've had it for a long time now, and done very little with it in that time scale.

But as far as PhotoBlog goes, Mmm. Not sure I agree totally with you there. Floris said above that vB have recuited the author of PhotoBlog. My guess is, if thats true! Maybe vB have written into the contact that all work with PhotoBlog has to stop, and she has been recruited to create it as an offical product now. So there maybe a genuine reason for that.

Comment

I guess it never occured to you why.
                  Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Why would vB want to buy theirs when they can just make their own and more than likely better product?
                    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Hmm, I'll play Devil's advocate and go more with "cause and effect" in this case.

Essentially, I wish Jelsoft would split VB into 2 categories: Discussion (forum) and Social aspect (personal profile, gallery, etc). Seeing as how the two parts are combined into one since 3.7, I'm not sure what a proper way of separating them as far as support, pricing and the like would go.

I would definitely like the Social Network side of it to be something more like a slim Facebook with the ability to use plugins, mods, etc. where wanted.

I really hope the development timespan for VB4 will include time dedicated to improving how the current add-on products work. Each product should be able to work independently of the others, while at the same time working hand in hand with eachother. The main tie-in would be DB based, showing what directories, etc. are to be included, linked to and the like.

Wow, did i go on a tangent. The point is, I hope VB4 puts a much better polish on what we have now. Users can upload images now, but it's a bit... restricted. As well, the whole Community aspect is hidden behind the forum aspect, will the galleries be like this to?

Comment

Originally posted by Chousho View Post
                        Hmm, I'll play Devil's advocate and go more with "cause and effect" in this case.

Essentially, I wish Jelsoft would split VB into 2 categories: Discussion (forum) and Social aspect (personal profile, gallery, etc). Seeing as how the two parts are combined into one since 3.7, I'm not sure what a proper way of separating them as far as support, pricing and the like would go.

I would definitely like the Social Network side of it to be something more like a slim Facebook with the ability to use plugins, mods, etc. where wanted.
                        That's exactly how I feel too, I would have been interested in the Blog as a stand alone product.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                        Working...
                        X