Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very troubling member situation : Asking for advice

Hello everyone,

I have a very unusual situation just occured on our forum and I thought I would ask for advice.

A member had sold raffle tickets to other members to raffle off a large prize on our and another similar forum.

Members purchased $2000 worth of tickets....... about 40 members purchased tickets.

The member running the raffle has since disappeared...... there have been no logins and no contact from her.. and of course no raffle either, she has taken off with $2000 of members money.

How would you all approach this?

Many thanks in advance for opinions and help

This is real money we're talking about?

I would report her IP to her ISP and see if they can track her down and get a warrent for her arrest.

Comment

Yep this is real money....... We also have noticed that her ISP has changed 4 times and her IP each time has been dynamic....

Im not sure how we will stand with the authorities, regarding raffles in general, so I thought Id ask here in case any other members have had scams like this occur on their forums....

Comment

There are a few things you can try doing, But in reality there will be nothing done.

1st, Contact your local police department. get statements from all member affected.

2nd, Contact a Lawyer.

3rd, How did the transaction occur? Paypal or another processing site? If so, contact their fraud department.

If any member used a credit card, have them do a charge back.

Comment

I would not have allowed it in the first place. Just to void situations like this.
          Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Originally posted by SSandgirls View Post
            Yep this is real money....... We also have noticed that her ISP has changed 4 times and her IP each time has been dynamic....

Im not sure how we will stand with the authorities, regarding raffles in general, so I thought Id ask here in case any other members have had scams like this occur on their forums....
            Well I'm not sure about this, but I would have thought you might need some sort of licence to run a raffle like that from a forum.

As a side note, I honestly can't believe people accually bought tickets, talk about being an obvious scam. After reading the first few lines, I knew exactly what it was going to lead too.

You say IP kept changing, well all they needed to do was take a wireless laptop in the streets and connect to a million and one unsecure wireless networks. I posted another thread before saying. Me and my mate for a laugh went somewhere and took the laptop to see if it was true about unsecure networks. And it sure is. My guess is this person did exactly that! Hence the multiple IP's you traced.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X