Bot registrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bot registrations

I installed this plugin that I found on vbulletin.org.
    It checks the time between the last two user registration steps and denies people entry to my forum.
    All users that show a registration time below 5 seconds are blocked.

Through this plugin, I found out that my forum has dozens of bot registration every day.

Question:
    It's mostly email addresses from russia.

Does this person try to send unsolicited PMs to other users?
    Or is it spiders that accidentally found the site, register and try to leech the site's content?
    Why do people do this?

They usually spam the forums eventually, or change their signature to advertise their urls sooner or later.
    Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Most of the account with an email from mail.ru have never made a post on my forum.
      So you think they just gather accounts to spam later?

Comment

Or just to later add an advertising link to their signature, as I said. With expanded profiles, that gives them some traffic without having to post at all.
        Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

don't waste your time, you fighting a losing battle

Comment

I disagree, I've not seen bots personally for about six months. Just use question and answer verification and some difficult questions that aren't related to maths or common sense. And maybe various other add ons to make bot registration more difficult.
            DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by flashgordon View Post
              Through this plugin, I found out that my forum has dozens of bot registration every day.

So, what happens if someone takes the PHP Spider code posted on the IBM website and adds a sleep(5); command into it.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                So, what happens if someone takes the PHP Spider code posted on the IBM website and adds a sleep(5); command into it.
                Of course they can get in by changing the code.

Yesterday, 43 "bots" were blocked from registering on my forum.
                For now, I am happy. And the topic was not about the plugin, but discussing what they want on the site.

Comment

I personally don't really see the big deal about Bots registering, if they register then never post anything (which usually is the case). All you have to do further down the line is look up inactive users who have never posted a single thing in lets say 3 months. And delete their accounts accordingly.

It doesn't make sense anyway if you have for example, 100 users who have never posted a single thing in 3 months - to keep them as members in your database. But I suppose you could just for the sake of real visitors coming, who think you have hundreds of other members. Keep them so real visitors join thinking you have many member, and don't feel alone.

And even if bots do join and post some content, to be honest if your board is new and you have nothing going for it, any content (even posted by a bot), benefits you at first. Unless it's obvious spam like links etc. There was even a hack posted on vB.org that let you add a Bot to post content to try and boost new sites. That tickled me somewhat!

Over at vBadvanced.com, there was a mod posted there that after a person registered, if he had a post count of "0", he was shown a box on every forum page that had text highlighted in red, telling them: "all account with a 0 post count where deleted after 2 weeks", and the message would vanish after they posted one message to prove they where not a Bot. That was a pretty good thing to try and encourage new real users to post a thread right after they registered.

It was quite similar to the mod here that displays a message in the header after a person joins, but has failed to activate their account. Which again vanishes after they activate it via the emal sent out.
                  Last edited by MRGTB; Fri 29 Aug '08, 9:27am.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X