Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like Vbulletin's new release cycle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like Vbulletin's new release cycle?

Due to a security flaw, vbulletin 3.7.2 pl 2 and 3.6.10 pl 4 have been released today. In 8 days, on August 26th, another version will be released as part of Jelsoft's new maintenance release schedule.

I think they should have released what features are ready for the August 26th release and security fix together today and skip the release on the 26th. This would save us admins another upgrade.....

I like the way Jelsoft released patches in the past by only releasing them when they had a significant amount of bugs fixed.
    Yes
    82.05%
    No
    17.95%

What's the problem? You just need to FTP the patched files to overwrite the old ones. No upgrade script needed:

Upgrading from 3.7.2, 3.6.10 or their patch level versions

If you are already running 3.7.2, 3.6.10 or their patch level versions, the process you will be required to follow to make your board immune to the XSS problem is very simple.

There is no need to run an upgrade script if you are already running 3.7.2, 3.6.10 or their patch level versions.

Visit the Patches section of the vBulletin Members' Area and download either the patch for 3.7.2, or the patch for 3.6.10, according to the version you are currently running, then extract the files from the archive you downloaded, then upload the files to your board via FTP etc., overwriting the existing files. This will update your version to the PL1 or PL3 release respectively.

The 3.7.2 PL2 patch file includes the PL1 fix.
    The 3.6.10 PL4 patch file also includes the PL1, PL2, and PL3 fixes.
    With regards to the question, I don't mind. Although out of the two, I would prefer what we have now as it gives admins choice when to upgrade. Don't forget you don't need to upgrade (unless it's a security related release).
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
      What's the problem? You just need to FTP the patched files to overwrite the old ones. No upgrade script needed:
      And then you have to upgrade something again in a week.

Comment

Overall I think vBulletin's new release cycle is much better. It allows me to plan upgrades ahead of time so I can always make sure I've got time available to update my commercial styles and update my sites.
        What's My Pagerank | Piano Chords Chart | Audio Tutorials | Composer Forum | Admin Templates | IPB Skins | Button Generator

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
          Due to a security flaw, vbulletin 3.7.2 pl 2 and 3.6.10 pl 4 have been released today. In 8 days, on August 26th, another version will be released as part of Jelsoft's new maintenance release schedule.

I think they should have released what features are ready for the August 26th release and security fix together today and skip the release on the 26th. This would save us admins another upgrade.....

I like the way Jelsoft released patches in the past by only releasing them when they had a significant amount of bugs fixed.
          Security patches have always been released immediately...
          ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
          Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Yes, I do.

It is now easier to patch security flaws, and when 3.7.3 is out I can do a full upgrade when I want, I can check and make sure all my plugins will work without having to worry about a security hole that was found and patched in that version.
            Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

Are you sick of polls that put a question mark over Jelsoft's decisions?

yes
              no
              That's the end of that!

Comment

I find the new release schedule much more handy, i can plan my upgrades.
                Dutch vBullletin users social group!

Comment

I also like the way it is done now. I like to plan ahead when i am going to do an upgrade. I was going to upgrade to 3.7.2 but now i can plan ahead and wait until 3.7.3 before i upgrade my board.
                  Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

Definitely better this way. You don't need to upgrade on the same day they release 3.7.3 anyway. You could leave it for weeks if you wanted as it contains no security bugs.

Comment

I am so happy with the new schedule. I can understand your position, Optima, but now we can plan ahead because we know the next release will be in 2 months, at the latest. That's far better than being blind-sided by a release every ~6 months with barely any forewarning at all.
                      Toddler from Hell

Comment

I think its a good idea to keep releasing updates and patches like jelsoft do as it keeps vBulletin nice and secure, so I am very happy with there schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by 0ptima View Post
                          And then you have to upgrade something again in a week.
                          But a patch isn't an upgrade. Upload a couple of files, you're done with patching. Upgrading is a slightly different process, and something that doesn't have to be done right away... or at all if you feel your forum isn't suffering any of the bugs fixed (although obviously this isn't recommended). It's just nice to know there's a maintenance fix coming, and you can schedule time to do it.

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                          Are you sick of polls that put a question mark over Jelsoft's decisions?

yes
                          no
                          Truth.
                          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                            Security patches have always been released immediately...
                            I dont have a problem with that at all!

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
                            But a patch isn't an upgrade. Upload a couple of files, you're done with patching. Upgrading is a slightly different process, and something that doesn't have to be done right away...
                            Even when you patch, you have to make sure that it does not break any hacks.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTomneyUK View Post
                              I think its a good idea to keep releasing updates and patches like jelsoft do as it keeps vBulletin nice and secure, so I am very happy with there schedule.
                              The release cycle has nothing to do with security. Security fixes are released as soon as a solution to exploit is found.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X