Webcams for Wildlife?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webcams for Wildlife?

Has anyone ever setup an outdoor webcam for wildlife? There is a particular spot on our house where Doves nest and I would like to setup a webcam right over the nest. If you have any experience or recommendations doing this, let me know.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

I've never done it but I used to watch this cam for hours at work....

http://www.africam.com/wildlife/index.php

Go Devils!

Comment

I have not done what you are asking but I do know how sensitive birds are to being disturbed. You are going to have to be very very careful not to disturb the birds when installing the camera nearby otherwise they will abandon the nest.
      Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I recommend a normal cam, but put it in a waterproof box. Perhaps a wifi one so you don't have to worry about the wires. (out of experience, the wifi one i had sucked, and the wired ones I have had were a lot more "stable" when streaming (less packet loss)).

I use a logitech quick cam pro 9000 usb now which works on linux, windows but more importantly, the mac.

Comment

Why use a webcam, you can buy the DIY Home spy camera kits now, that let you see who's at the door, or in the garden etc. Cheap from DIY stores like BQ.

You know, the type that switch your TV channel over when they pick-up motion, or just run contant. Plus you can record what you see. You can put the camera part anywhere you want and it's totally waterproof. They would work very well for that purpose. As you never need to go outside and mess with it once in place. Like you would with a webcam.
          Last edited by MRGTB; Sat 9 Aug '08, 1:55pm.

Comment

I think you are right, and the prices seem reasonable too for a reasonable quality waterproof security cam.

This is an interesting topic, because my parents have stables with horses, and other animals. And we have had this discussion ourselves. I can allllllmost see the grassfield with the horses from my apartment, but there are too many trees in between us. And my parents have full sight from the farm. So we could place a security cam straight on it and my dad has a proper router that's on 24/7 anyway. It would be cool to have one in the stables (where the wifi still reaches) and one in front of the grassfield. Our web site could have a live cam in a htaccess locked down area. That will be fun. We always run the risk of sheep falling in the water and dying, or even worse, the horses. And simply animals breaking free in the stables. Now we can have more eyes on it too.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X