3.x or 4.0 - VB Development paths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3.x or 4.0 - VB Development paths?

There have been some pretty strong feelings expressed bythe vBulletin community since Jelsoft announced development of 3.8 slated for a Q4 2008 release.

The inevitable delay this will cause to a vBulletin 4.0 release has got some folks quite cheezed to say the least. What are your feelings on this?

*note: I added "work on both paths simultaneously" as a poll option but I believe that the Jelsoft folks should concentrate on only one path (4.0!!) as I'm guessing they do not have the resources to handle both and it could get messy.
    Full stop on 3.x (security releases only). Full throttle on 4.0!!
    72.60%
    Continue with 3.x development and get to 4.0 when ready.
    12.33%
    Work on both paths simultaneously?
    15.07%
    Last edited by bboy; Wed 6th Aug '08, 7:23am.

I doubt they'll change their development plan due to a poll.

Comment

I'd say the first. But I also think it's unlikely that they would change their plans after already having announcement, as that would not do them any good.

Edit: 1000th post!

Comment

I'm not voting as this is pointless.

It's not up to me to tell them what to do, or you, the bottomline is that all decisions are theirs to make, and theirs only. If they go under, it is they who lose their jobs and income, not you.

They want to improve 3.7 (through 3.8) to hold us over to 4.0, that is a good thing.

I never seen a community so arrogant in my life as this one: I demand this, I demand that, whine about this, whine about that, I want this, I want that... oh, and by the way, give us everything we demand today, and for free. Sheesh.

You want to make the software better, and the development cycle a little faster? Then help them out by making resonable suggestions and providing constructive feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by DoE View Post

It's not up to me to tell them what to do, or you, the bottomline is that all decisions are theirs to make, and theirs only. If they go under, it is they who lose their jobs and income, not you.
          So customers (their bread and butter) should not express their opinions? With that kind of thinking how will they ever know how what their customers want? I think this kind of feedback is of great value to any company that cares about their future.
          Last edited by bboy; Wed 6th Aug '08, 8:58am.

Comment

I see where you're coming from, but I don't agree. Nobody is telling them what to do here, they're simply saying what they would like. There is a difference. There is nothing wrong with providing any feedback of this nature. Customers should be more than entitled to let vBulletin know what they would and wouldn't like, it doesn't do anyone any harm.

I think you're making a big issue out of it to be honest.

Comment

I'd also say the first, but I fully understand why there was a change in their focus.
              It is more than likely that the changes needed for 4.0 is so extensive that it is 2+ years away, at least. Likewise, it's not unlikely that the resources it will take to make the 3.8 or even 3.x(!) release isn't that great, yet, when it has been coded it could be ported fairly easy to 4.0 because of the way the 4.0 code base will be implemented.
              Either way, I doubt they will turn back now, because that would only make it look even more silly.
              Toddler from Hell

Comment

Are we really looking at 2+ years? Seriously, that worries me.
                Plan, Do, Check, Act!

Comment

They want to improve 3.7 (through 3.8) to hold us over to 4.0, that is a good thing.

I never seen a community so arrogant in my life as this one: I demand this, I demand that, whine about this, whine about that, I want this, I want that... oh, and by the way, give us everything we demand today, and for free. Sheesh.

You want to make the software better, and the development cycle a little faster? Then help them out by making resonable suggestions and providing constructive feedback.
                  To be frank if they didn't realise 3.8 peopel would complain and moan saying the wait for more features is too long etc. The developers know what the best path for vB is so I put my trust in that even if I may disagree with it.

All community users moan and complain. If it's not happening on some forum/companies that are this big then they are obviously being censored. Jelsoft really try their best not to censor stuff on the forums.

Comment

It doesn't really matter to me. I don't think developing 3.8 will take much time away from 4.0. After all, they do have more than one developer, right? Besides, 3.8 will have to be created anyway, in the sense that it's just another transition to 4.0. But instead of keeping it private (as supposedly was the case with 3.1-3.4), they've decide to make it a public release.
                    Forums

Comment

i think the poll speaks for itself even at this early stage. 80% don't want 3.8

Comment

Originally posted by briansol View Post
                        Agreed , however i still hope Jelsoft will prepare a survey that we can participate within admincp.

Comment

Originally posted by briansol View Post
                          This poll is not an acurate cross section of the vBulletin license holders.

Comment

I voted for Full Stop on 3.x. I've not cared much for the updates released beyond security patches and 3.8 isn't changing anything on it. Why? Because vBulletin already has most of the features I want and has had them since (I estimate) 2.2.x. Anything beyond that is a bonus being the geek I am. I've got what I need, I can make what I want, and updates give me what I like (or don't like, but that's besides the point).

But that's my rather personal opinion on it and without a doubt there are plenty of people out there who do want 3.x development to continue. I've got no problems with development of 4.x taking longer and I'd expect the same if situations were reversed.

Simple as that
                            A bullet may have your name on it, but shrapnel is addressed "to whom it may concern"

Comment

You guys might wish to read this post by Kier: http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showp...&postcount=138

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X