Projects waiting on VB 4 news?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projects waiting on VB 4 news?

I have two projects that are in 'pending' mode now (have been for a while) as I await news on VB 4 (features, planned release time frame, etc) before I make a decision to wait for it or start looking for another platform/framework.

*Note: These projects cannot be accomplished with the current VB 3.7.x feature-set, hence the wait on news/information regarding VB4.

The wait on hearing anything at all from Jelsoft on this is getting quite painful to say the least. So I am wondering how many of you have pending projects and are waiting to hear any news from Jelsoft?
    I have project(s) waiting on VB4 news - I will reluctantly wait it out.
    23.08%
    I have project(s) waiting on VB4 news. Cannot so will start researching alternatives.
    19.23%
    I have no projects waiting on VB4 news at this time.
    57.69%
    Last edited by bboy; Wed 30 Jul '08, 8:16pm.

Why would you have a project pending for something that you don't even know much about? Besides, you can always update to vB4 when it is released.

Comment

Originally posted by chaselafon View Post
      Why would you have a project pending for something that you don't even know much about? Besides, you can always update to vB4 when it is released.
      These projects cannot be accomplished on the current VB 3.7x platform (atleast not without a lot of re-jigging which could get messy) so I am hoping that VB4 will have the feature-set that I require, if not I will have to move on to something else.

Comment

Yea, I was going to say also. How do you know vB4 will have the features and platform required for them to work. Basically, nothing has been given away about vB4 so far, nothing at all!

What type of things does it have to have, give some example of what your talking about?

Comment

Nope. I usually plan my projects around something that I know very well, not on something that I have no information on or even a release date. That's just bad project management and doesn't make sense.
          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Disclaimer:

I have voted for "I have no projects waiting on VB4 news at this time." as a 'random' choice, just so I could see the result. I do not support my vote.

That said: 3.x is fine for what I want for my sites, and the blog v1 and PT v2 finish it for now. I am not really 'waiting' or 'holding back' as I want my sites to run 'now' and not be idle until yet again a new version comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
              Disclaimer:

I have voted for "I have no projects waiting on VB4 news at this time." as a 'random' choice, just so I could see the result. I do not support my vote.

That said: 3.x is fine for what I want for my sites, and the blog v1 and PT v2 finish it for now. I am not really 'waiting' or 'holding back' as I want my sites to run 'now' and not be idle until yet again a new version comes out.
              +1.
              vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
              vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

No projects waiting on VB4. I don't like waiting on other people ;S

Pretty much I like each script to be independent of each other one. That way I don't have to worry about one breaking and taking down everything else.

Probably the only way I'd come close would be to create a copy of the password/hash method to connect to the DB and compare values. I don't see VB changing their hash algo even across major version (although it'd be nice).

Pretty much that's it: interface with the database, but use your own code for that part and you get the best of both worlds.

Comment

You're pending your projects solely on the basis of a hope that some new, unannounced piece of software will fulfull your needs? I wouldn't hire you to run one of my projects

You use what tools you have available at the time. Given the turnaround on vB3 after it was announced, you could be looking at around 6 months a year before you have a stable product too after its announced.
                  Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I have no projects depending on vBulletin 4, simply because I just run the one website. Plus, why rely as said on something not coming for months in the vague hope it'll contain what you want? Why not add what you want now with some modifications and stuff, and watch it being perfectly fine with vBulletin 4 when it comes out?
                    DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                      Disclaimer:

I agree, there will always be new release version in the works. That's just the way things are as time moves on. vBulletin (just like IPB) etc. Have to move with the times to keep at the pinnacle of forum development if they want the sales figures to keep coming in.

And people who keep re-doing their sites for a new major version released, which may require a fresh install. Will never get anywhere in having a popular forum. they'll still be here with a handfull of members 10 years later. There has to come a point where a person has to accept he needs to leave his site alone once he starts gettings members and just concentrate on security updates only.

if you look at really big forums out there who use IPB and vB. You'll see that most are using older versions, because they realised this.

Comment

"I have projects waiting for VB4
                        VB is the core of my site so I cannot just get rid of it, nor I want, forum is excellent
                        I don't trust Jelsoft anymore on proper communication, so I have started researching alternatives"

You're pending your projects solely on the basis of a hope that some new, unannounced piece of software will fulfull your needs? I wouldn't hire you to run one of my projects

You use what tools you have available at the time. Given the turnaround on vB3 after it was announced, you could be looking at around 6 months a year before you have a stable product too after its announced.
                        It's not really about the new features, it's about the upgrade of the existing ones.

My members have picked up on blogging, they just love it. I have around 200,000 entries now and that's only since the blogs were released. With comments it is reaching a big critical mass. They are starting to ask about new features like colaborative blogs, blog customization, scheme, applications, blogroll, social networking, rss support, ... list goes on and on.

If 1 person asks for a feature, maybe I'd ignore that request, if 300 want that feature also, I cannot ignore it anymore. I don't have any problem in coding it myself, or hiring someone to do it for me. That's ok, but there is a single problem.

I am going to be using vBulletin in the future, most likely, so if the staff happens to code something for the blog that I coded for the earlier version, that would be a colision of features for me, and leaves me we the options of
                        1) not upgrading
                        2) getting rid of my feature
                        3) ignoring vb built-in feature and use mine

I have learnt over time that not upgrading is not an option, and that ignoring vb built-in causes a lot of trouble... so, in getting rid of MY custom-developed feature, I have to write scripts to migrate all information, I have to modify templates so the look & feel doesn't change so dramatically, I have to recode any functionality that doesn't exist, I need to inform the users about the changes and sometimes explain why the behaviour changed a little.....

I had private messages, VB comes with their one, I get rid of mine
                        I had a "popularity" system, VB comes with reputation that was the same thing for me .... again, another migration
                        I had an inline moderating system.. .VB comes with one.. I discarded mine and retrained moderators
                        I had my own blog script.. I bough vb blog... had to do all that

I hope I made my point. I'm getting tired of recoding things, If I had a semi-complete feature list for a future version, I could decide on changing some priorities and not doing some major things twice, but since Jelsoft won't share any roadmap, it's impossible. I just live with it.
                        Last edited by kentaurus; Thu 31 Jul '08, 9:27am.
                        CemZoo Wiki - The complete anime encyclopedia
                        CemZoo Foros - Spanish Anime & Gaming Community (also browse our archive)

Comment

What I don't understand though, is why are you even working on projects for vB4 when there as been very little information released about it.

How do you even know your project will even be compatible with it? You might just be wasting your time and have to start from scratch all over again.

Comment

Waiting for and hoping vBulletin 4 suites your needs because 3.7 somehow doesn't, is not a good idea. It's also unlikely that vBulletin 4 will have exactly what you want for your "project".

Comment

I have some mods which I could release but I think it's redundant to release new mods only for 3.7. I prefer to have a new platform, a new code for that.

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X