Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chazel
    • Nov 2007

Way Off-Topic Photoshop Problem - Saving as GIF's or PNG's

Lately, whenever I try to save an image as a .GIF or a .PNG file, it says the file is empty after saving it.

I have a one-layer image (a new status icon I'm making) that originally was surrounded by white, but I used the background eraser to get rid of the white and make the background transparent.

When saving as a PNG or GIF, it saves, but on the desktop (I'm using Vista) it shows the default image for a PNG/GIF and upon opening it says Photo Gallery can't display this image because it's an emtpy file.

Is there any way to correct this? The only thing that works is saving it as a .PSD or a .JPG - but I can't maintain the transparency with a .JPG.

Thanks.
  • SNN
    • Jul 2006

What's the method of saving that you're using (eg: PNG/GIF Save Type. PNG-24 Transparent, etc.)

Are you running the latest version of Photoshop?

Comment

• legionofangels2
      • Feb 2007

I have Vista

Adobe Photoshop 7.0

I have XP on a diff computer with Adobe CS 3, so I think I can help here, since I have diff versions of everything.

The real issue is the Save As thing, and making sure you are changing the file type appropriately. The other issue that is most likely in this case is that you are making changes to an image before the image is a PSD.

You need to hit New, create a new document of any size, put your image in there, then hit Image > Trim > Transparent Pixels, and then do whatever and then save as whatever you want.

Adobe Photoshop never restricts you from saving as a specific file type, if what you are saying is that it's converting after saving something is wrong with your pc, or you haven't set PNG's to open via photoshop instead of other image software. If it's not allowing you to save as PNG, then you have a corrupt Adobe program.

This shouldn't be that difficult. If you still have trouble, email me the image in whatever format you have it as, and I'll take a look and see what the problem is. But maybe you know more than me, because I have no idea what this "background erase" thing is.

Comment

• Chazel
        • Nov 2007

I re-installed Photoshop and it's working again - thanks!

Comment