Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

3G iPhone

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Firmware 2.0 appears to have seriously messed up bluetooth functionality when pairing with my BMW.

    Before today I got a complete list of all my contacts from the phone through iDrive. Today, nada. And it would seem that I'm not alone. To me, this is about as close to a deal breaker as it gets. I'm now investigating how to return my phone to firmware 1.1.4 without losing all my data.

    Comment


    • #17
      US content:
      I need to wait until Verizon gets the iPhone.
      I'll let all you early adopters work out the bugs.
      ...steven
      www.318ti.org (vB3.8) | www.nccbmwcca.org (vB4.2)
      bmwcca.org/forum | m135i.net
      "I tried to clean this up but this thread is beyond redemption." - Steve Machol

      Comment


      • #18
        Came back from paying the service provider's retail location a visit today... They told me that existing customers will need to -- get this -- pay EXTRA $50 for the iPhone. Additionally, I MUST open a 3 year contract with them. While I do have the benefit / option of getting a voice only plan for $20 a month (plus system access fee, emergency fee, and applicable taxes; which makes it just a bit over $30), I'm still locked to that contract for 3 years (as opposed to 2 years almost everywhere else in the world).

        Pretty chocked... I guess I'd have to wait until Apple announce the unsubsidized pricing for those that want to buy the phone out right, or seek it from a third party such as ebay >_<
        Best Regards,
        Andy Huang

        Comment


        • #19
          After waiting about 24 hours, it seems that finally, MobileMe and the 2.0 firmware updates with activation are finally working as they should. I just finished updating my iPhone and iPod touch to 2.0, and setting up my MobileMe account. At first, it wasn't working at all, then I realized that in System Preferences, I had syncing set to manual. As soon as I set it to automatic, MobileMe's magic started working, doing push email and calendar. Very cool.

          I will probably get an iPhone 3G at some point, but not for at least a month or more. With the supposed yellowing issues, I'd rather wait a while and get the best hardware possible.
          Forums

          Comment


          • #20
            O2 have dissapointed me with providing me with the text on Monday after the stock had run out - and the queues in Bournemouth started at 5AM I think - so I am still awaiting an iPhone 3G, but the original one is still in my hand.

            I am to call them now and explain that I am going abroad this Thursday and need one asap.
            Shamil Nunhuck, - Radon Systems Ltd.
            VPS + Dedicated Server Hosting and Management
            vBulletin Hosting and Services
            Server / Website Consultation

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by 1996 328ti View Post
              US content:
              I need to wait until Verizon gets the iPhone.
              I'll let all you early adopters work out the bugs.
              I highly doubt we'll ever see a CDMA iPhone since the rest of the world uses a GSM variant.

              Originally posted by Andy Huang View Post
              Came back from paying the service provider's retail location a visit today... They told me that existing customers will need to -- get this -- pay EXTRA $50 for the iPhone. Additionally, I MUST open a 3 year contract with them. While I do have the benefit / option of getting a voice only plan for $20 a month (plus system access fee, emergency fee, and applicable taxes; which makes it just a bit over $30), I'm still locked to that contract for 3 years (as opposed to 2 years almost everywhere else in the world).

              Pretty chocked... I guess I'd have to wait until Apple announce the unsubsidized pricing for those that want to buy the phone out right, or seek it from a third party such as ebay >_<
              Three year contracts? They really stick it to you in Canada, dont they?
              Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

              Comment


              • #22
                I went to my local 02 shop at 10am, walked straight up to the counter and asked. No queues or anything. Can't wait till they release tomtom for it though
                www.pst-uk.co.uk
                www.refchat.co.uk

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by tgillespie View Post
                  I highly doubt we'll ever see a CDMA iPhone since the rest of the world uses a GSM variant.
                  While this is true, Verizon is 45% owned by Vodaphone, a GSM provider in Europe. Verizon already has their "world phones" which are GSM and CDMA capable. Also Verizon is also looking at hybrid phones. Further, they're switching to LTE within the next several years (I forgot how long it'll be exactly) which is based off of GSM. Because of all of this, it's not impossible to see the iPhone on Verizon, just not very likely, especially since AT&T and Apple have the 5 year exclusive contract.

                  The 3G iPhone is cool but unless you live in a major market you're most likely not going to be getting 3G service, which sucks. Verizon's EV-DO service is in a lot more markets.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Radon3k View Post
                    While this is true, Verizon is 45% owned by Vodaphone, a GSM provider in Europe. Verizon already has their "world phones" which are GSM and CDMA capable. Also Verizon is also looking at hybrid phones. Further, they're switching to LTE within the next several years (I forgot how long it'll be exactly) which is based off of GSM. Because of all of this, it's not impossible to see the iPhone on Verizon, just not very likely, especially since AT&T and Apple have the 5 year exclusive contract.

                    The 3G iPhone is cool but unless you live in a major market you're most likely not going to be getting 3G service, which sucks. Verizon's EV-DO service is in a lot more markets.
                    All valid points, but I don't imagine LTE developing all that rapidly. The euro market of 900 million has only 100 of it using 3G. People don't comprehend the need for 3G just yet, so why increase the bandwidth anymore than they have to. UMTS and EV-DO are completely suitable for the industry's demands. Hell, T-Mobile's HSDPA is faster than some broadband providers.

                    As far as Verizon getting the iPhone, its really not up their alley. They love having a very tight control over their handset manufacturers. Out of all the major carriers in the U.S., they are by far the most finicky.

                    I'm also pretty sure that Verizon is trying to buy out Vodaphone's shares in Verizon Wireless, but even if they don't, Vodaphone isn't in the driver seat. T-Mobile USA is owned by Deutsch Telecom or T-Mobile Germany, but they are two entirely different carriers. About all that Deutsch Telecom cares about is if T-Mobile USA is gaining market share.
                    Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      I'm thinking about upgrading... Anybody with the Black iPhone, what are your thoughts on getting scratches on back of the phone? Does it seem pretty scratch resistant?
                      Bob- (pank)
                      pankpages.com / http://twitter.com/_pank

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I'm back from a 2-week vacation (in Turkey) and I somehow missed the introduction of the 3G iPhone.

                        The big question: IS IT WORTH IT?

                        It is so expensive and I am struggling between the new iPhone and the 24'' iMac.

                        iPhone:
                        24 (months) x 49 EUR (77.91 USD) + 59.95 EUR (95 USD) = 1,235.95 EUR (1,965 USD).
                        There is one cheaper plan but it doesn't include the Wi-Fi hotspot usage and there are no free SMS.

                        iMac 24'':
                        1,599.00 EUR (2,542 USD)
                        (I know, it's 1,799.00 USD in the American Apple Store………)


                        The iPhone can't replace an iMac, do I really need to be online all the time? It surely would be nice but as I can easily stand two weeks without the 'net (it was much nicer to lie on the beach I doubt that I would need this device. But otherwise, it has built-in GPS.
                        My good old iMac is almost two years old, time for something new.

                        Hard decision. What do you guys think?
                        That's the end of that!

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                          I'm back from a 2-week vacation (in Turkey) and I somehow missed the introduction of the 3G iPhone.

                          The big question: IS IT WORTH IT?

                          It is so expensive and I am struggling between the new iPhone and the 24'' iMac.

                          iPhone:
                          24 (months) x 49 EUR (77.91 USD) + 59.95 EUR (95 USD) = 1,235.95 EUR (1,965 USD).
                          There is one cheaper plan but it doesn't include the Wi-Fi hotspot usage and there are no free SMS.

                          iMac 24'':
                          1,599.00 EUR (2,542 USD)
                          (I know, it's 1,799.00 USD in the American Apple Store………)


                          The iPhone can't replace an iMac, do I really need to be online all the time? It surely would be nice but as I can easily stand two weeks without the 'net (it was much nicer to lie on the beach I doubt that I would need this device. But otherwise, it has built-in GPS.
                          My good old iMac is almost two years old, time for something new.

                          Hard decision. What do you guys think?
                          From what you have said the iMac would be the best bet. The only real reason (other than having a new gadget to play with) for me to get an iPhone is for development purposes.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by dabollicks View Post
                            I went to my local 02 shop at 10am, walked straight up to the counter and asked. No queues or anything. Can't wait till they release tomtom for it though
                            TomTom can't release it. There is a new clause in the iPhone SDK License Agreement stating that.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              The day the 3G was released it was plagued with problems from customers, I've been doing a ton of blogging in our News Archive and I've ran across multiple articles that stated this.

                              I wouldn't be so excited about the phone just yet, give it a bit to fix the problems then go from there.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Apparently they sold 1 million phones in the 3 days since launch. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

                                Comment

                                widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X