X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Originally posted by Quillz View Post
    I enjoy running Windows Vista on Apple hardware.
    He he:
    http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...r-macs-success
    http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._to_vista.html

Leave a comment:

• chennairam
    replied
    I always prefer a PC over Mac

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    Originally posted by Noiz Pollution View Post
    I will admit that I haven't touched Vista, but this is with good reason. The fact that MS have came out and openly admitted that it's not finished yet is a serious turn off, besides it being a constant pain with questions asking if I'm sure I want to do something and then having it ask if I'm really sure (this is from friends and reviews I've read around the web).
    When did Microsoft ever "openly admit" that Vista wasn't finished yet? Sure, it had its bugs in the beginning, but so did XP and Leopard. No software is perfect. Also, UAC is annoying, but it really doesn't appear any more often than a password prompt would on Mac OS X. Also, realize that UAC is a transitional setup, designed to get people who've spent their lives running as admins on older versions of Windows used to running as a limited account full-time.

Leave a comment:

• Quillz
    replied
    I enjoy running Windows Vista on Apple hardware.

Leave a comment:

• Noiz Pollution
    replied
    OSX every time

Having used both systems side by side for a number of years I'd go with OSX every single time without fail.

When I initially used OSX I will admit I was quite surprised at how the Finder works in comparison with exploder but I find I can get around the file system much more quickly using the column view (keyboard navigation) or spotlight than I ever could using exploder's tree view (constant clicking at + symbols).

I will admit that I haven't touched Vista, but this is with good reason. The fact that MS have came out and openly admitted that it's not finished yet is a serious turn off, besides it being a constant pain with questions asking if I'm sure I want to do something and then having it ask if I'm really sure (this is from friends and reviews I've read around the web).

For me, OSX allows me to just get on with whatever I'm doing, and I don't mind having to use Apple hardware for the privilege, at least that way I'm 99.999% certain that the OS is compatible with it.

Cheers,
    Robert

Leave a comment:

• veenuisthebest
    replied
    i prefer Windows over MAC OSX

Leave a comment:

• xjuliox
    replied
    I would love to have a mac but can't afford it

Leave a comment:

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Originally posted by bboy View Post
    True enough but after years of huge tower PC's I want to this nice small footprint that the Mini will give me. I seriously hope that Apple will be releasing a next revision for it.
    Rumors are the will. And for people who don't want the monitor or tower, they are a nice alternative. Call me an Apple Geek, but I have 1800+ Mac Rumor News RSS articles.

If you want me to look some up, give me a holler!

Leave a comment:

• bboy
    replied
    Originally posted by King Kovifor View Post
    For a little more, you can get Mac Pro (high end processor + tower).

True enough but after years of huge tower PC's I want to this nice small footprint that the Mini will give me. I seriously hope that Apple will be releasing a next revision for it.

Leave a comment:

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    The basic model costs about $600.00.
    Thanks. I don't actually know much about Mac Mini's, but I could rattle off facts and figures about most other macs and iPods. I am such a geek. lol.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Yeah, I don't actually know how much the Mac Mini costs.
    The basic model costs about $600.00.

Leave a comment:

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Originally posted by Kier View Post
    Hmm bboy is talking about a Mac Mini and you suggest that for a little more he could get a Mac Pro? I think your definition of a little more is somewhat different from mine, given that the Mac Pro costs upwards of five times the price of the Mac Mini...

To address his points, I think there are great hordes of people who would purchase a new, better specced Mac Mini, and even more who would like a PC-form factor Mac tower that isn't the ultimate powerhouse of the Mac Pro. Just something like a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a user-replacable graphics card and hard drives, easily expandable memory and no built in monitor. The iMac is all very well for those people who are a) rich enough to dump their monitor each time they upgrade their PC or b) too stupid to realise that they could buy one good display and keep it for years and years, but for the technically savvy, we want an affordable tower from Apple where we have a little more control over the hardware spec, upgradabiity and expansion capabilities. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will address this market - if they have any plans to do so, why haven't they already?
    Yeah, I don't actually know how much the Mac Mini costs. But, it's the only other option for a tower mac. I personally like having everything in the monitor, as it saves space on my desk (of which we actually have none), and computers for me last quite a long time.

And, there are suggestions feedback hidden somewhere on Apple's website. I will post it up if I find them.

EDIT: I think the only way for finder Feedback is here as there is no specific "Finder" feedback section:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    Hmm bboy is talking about a Mac Mini and you suggest that for a little more he could get a Mac Pro? I think your definition of a little more is somewhat different from mine, given that the Mac Pro costs upwards of five times the price of the Mac Mini...

To address his points, I think there are great hordes of people who would purchase a new, better specced Mac Mini, and even more who would like a PC-form factor Mac tower that isn't the ultimate powerhouse of the Mac Pro. Just something like a Core 2 Quad Q6600 with a user-replacable graphics card and hard drives, easily expandable memory and no built in monitor. The iMac is all very well for those people who are a) rich enough to dump their monitor each time they upgrade their PC or b) too stupid to realise that they could buy one good display and keep it for years and years, but for the technically savvy, we want an affordable tower from Apple where we have a little more control over the hardware spec, upgradabiity and expansion capabilities. Unfortunately, I don't think Apple will address this market - if they have any plans to do so, why haven't they already?

Leave a comment:

• Kier
    replied
    I don't use Finder enough to hate it. Also, have you thought about submitting bug reports for those three things?
    They aren't bugs, they are design decisions conciously made by Apple designers. Submitting a bug report for that would be somewhat akin to submitting a bug report to vBulletin because you don't like our use of the Verdana font for UI text.

Leave a comment:

• King Kovifor
    replied
    Originally posted by bboy View Post
    I have been a Windows user since WfW 3.11 and feel that I am coming to the end of the Microsoft line. I am planning to hop off at the next stop and make the switch to Mac OS X.

That said, I'm still waiting for the next iteration of the Mac Mini before I do make the jump. The main thing that has kept me from changing over was that the software is tied to the hardware but with the Mini I feel that I can let this slide as the cost is not very high and the box is easily modifiable by the end user (replacing HDD, RAM, etc). I also do NOT want my system and my monitor to be in one box. In any case, I still await Apple's announcement and if it does not come well....I may stay aboard with Microsoft.

ps - needless to say that if I do switch over, I will still be using XP in VMWare Fusion.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X