Why does VB look funny in Safari?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why does VB look funny in Safari?

Why does VB look funny in Apples Safari?

Cos safari is crap?
    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

I noticed that too, from font type to how <strong> is handled. It isn't just vB but also some News sites I go to. I don't think Safari likes Windows,

Comment

It must be a windows thing - vB looks fine in safari on my mac
        Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kerry-Anne View Post
          It must be a windows thing - vB looks fine in safari on my mac
          Same here.
          That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
            Same here.
            And here, no problems. Perhaps show screenshots to compare for us?

Comment

A quick snapshot of vBulletin.com with Internet Explorer and then Safari. It is how the fonts are rendered by Safari in Windows that is the difference.

Edit: jpg compression was set at 1, but the ie screenshot looks almost as bad as the Safari one after I uploaded them, replaced them both with a png
              Attached Files
              Last edited by DoE; Tue 24th Jun '08, 10:54am.

Comment

Originally posted by DoE View Post
                A quick snapshot of vBulletin.com with Internet Explorer and then Safari. It is how the fonts are rendered by Safari in Windows that is the difference.

Edit: jpg compression was set at 1, but the ie screenshot looks almost as bad as the Safari one after I uploaded them.
                I see no difference in the shots you posted...

Comment

There is a big difference but compression must be turned up here when uploading, I just replaced both attachments with a single one and again it is hard to see the difference between the two. You can in the pics on my pc. Maybe someone else can try and have better luck.

Comment

The difference is definitely there, but I think you don't like the way it looks in Safari because you're used to Internet Explorer.

Safari and Firefox do the same thing on my Mac and I like the Safari version better (and on yours too), but probably just because that's what I'm used to.

Comment

I think the issue is that the World Wide Web is not supposed to be a pixel perfect medium and people expect it to be. Each browser company is allowed to vary how things are presented and still follow HTML specifications. There is actually a lot of leeway.

If I decided to make a browser and show <strong>text</text> as Bold Italic in a Serif font at all times, I could according the specifications. As long as the basics are adhered to, the rest is up to the user agent. Which in this case is the browser. You will never achieve 100% pixel perfect webpage renderings across all browsers and operating systems. If you strive to do so then you will fail unless every single page is an image map, even then browsers allow the zooming and shrinking of images according to the user's wishes.
                      Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                      The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                      vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                      Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I heard that Safari's default font size is smaller than other browsers for one thing...
                        DS Ultimate- A Nintendo DS Forum

My Blog (Nintendo, vBulletin and other articles)

My Profile and Modifications at vBulletin.org

Comment

Probably because... Safari sucks =p. You should be using Firefox, in my opinion anyway.

Comment

Safari renders fonts using Apple's own mechanism, which aims to reproduce fonts as accurately as possible, whereas all other browsers under Windows use the Windows font renderer, which makes compromises to font accuracy for the sake of readability on a pixel-based screen. These are the differences you are seeing.

A good article describing the different methodologies can be found here.

Comment

I'm on a Mac using Safari and it looks completely normal

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X