Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking about making a website what are the legal issues?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking about making a website what are the legal issues?

Alright. My friend and I are making a website and forum based off of vbulletin and vb advanced, it's for local hardcore shows and music.

I was wondering what are the legal risks by making a website and having members from all different ages?

We were thinking about having a forum called "Show of your hair" but "IF" someone underage posts a naked photo of them self. And it is removed by one of the mod's but say maybe 4 people saw it before it was removed. What are legal risks?

Pretty much what are the legal risks in starting a website that will have tons of members from different ages?

If an adult site, be sure to make all your forums viewable to members only, and make sure you have a desclaimer in the registration stating that you must be 18 years or older to join.

Comment

Well it's not going to be an adult site. I'm just saying what if some user uses the [img] code and posts a nude image.

Can I get sued for that? I mean I will have the mods delete it but say they didn't refresh there computer and only say about 4 or 5 members saw and then the threat was deleted.

You understand what I'm saying?

Comment

My apologies, I understand now what you are asking. As long as you remove questionable content then you have nothing to worry about. Knowing that it is there and leaving it is a whole different ball game.

Comment

In the default registration rules it says
          Although the administrators and moderators of Your Site Name will attempt to keep all objectionable
          messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages.
          which your users agree to by registering.
          Kerry-Anne :)

Twitter Blog

www.peterska2.com www.worldnewszone.com www.popularusenetgroups.com www.superclickers.co.uk www.forumsforchrist.com www.browsergameplanet.com

Comment

If you're seriously concerned you should seek legal council.

Comment

Originally posted by DoE View Post
              If an adult site, be sure to make all your forums viewable to members only, and make sure you have a desclaimer in the registration stating that you must be 18 years or older to join.
              There is no law that states you have to have an entry page for an adult site, at least in US/UK law. Providing you have a disclaimer and 2257 notice in your footer, you are fine and can show the goods up front. It's more of a moral choice having a session/cookie-based entry page

Alas, this is not about an adult site, but you are held responsible by law for content your members post if it's hosted on your site. So if a user posts up questionable adult content then you are responsible for removing it under the DMCA.
              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I see some I'm pretty much good as long as I delete any questionable content. Thanks guys

Comment

It should be good, just make sure you keep on top of your forum and don't let yourself get buried under.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X