Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New firefox extension I developed... opinions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New firefox extension I developed... opinions?

Hey everyone, I've been chatting on vbulletin boards since forever... and muchly prefer them over any others, for obvious reasons.
    But I've never been satisfied with the ignore features (for any of the forums really).

So anyway, I developed a FfVb (Firefox + Vbulletin) extension that has it's own ignore lists.
    When you ignore a user, it strips their posts, threads and even quotes directly out of the page so that you don't see them at all!
    You can also ignore individual threads and even prefixes. You can also enter in keywords, so it will ignore threads with those words.

It's all context based, so you simply right click on the user, thread or prefix you want to ignore and choose "Add to Ignore List" in the menu.

The extension also adds a menu to the bottom of the browser with forum navigation, page navigation and useful links to Search, User CP, New Thread and New Reply.

The last thing it does is offer a sidebar where you can reload the thread list at regular intervals of 0s, 30s, 45s, 60s or 120s. And you can choose to have the links open in the current tab, new tab or in a background tab.

So yeah, it's a lot to spit out in one post... but I wanted to get the vbulletin community's opinion on it. I just released 1.00 after lots of testing and I'm sure it's still not quite perfect but it does a good job.

If you're interested, you can check it out here:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7023 (in the sandbox cause it's new, so it will require registration/login)
    or here on my site:
    http://www.tycamtech.com/extensions/firefox/ffvb/

Nice, I like it!

Spotted one bug: I am on Mac Firefox 3.0 RC1 and the preferences window doesn't have a button to close it.
    Attached Files
    That's the end of that!

Comment

Originally posted by MrNase View Post
      Nice, I like it!

Spotted one bug: I am on Mac Firefox 3.0 RC1 and the preferences window doesn't have a button to close it.
      Ah yeah, I had heard of that... but.. I don't have any control over that. Firefox lets me create everything within that window but not the title bar or close button.
      So I don't know why that button is missing. It's really getting under my skin though. I'll have to do some research, maybe even mail the Firefox developers to see what's happening.

Comment

It seems a bit overkill to do a firefox extension just for this. Remember firefox's market share is still relatively low throughout the internet, so your potential user-uptake will be slim (unless of course you're running a web dev forum), but I'm talking about the internet as a whole. But why have to rely on one piece of software to modify the rendering of another. This could be achieved through a set of plugins, or easier still as you're practically modifying rendered output, you could do exactly the same via the global_complete plugin.
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
          It seems a bit overkill to do a firefox extension just for this. Remember firefox's market share is still relatively low throughout the internet, so your potential user-uptake will be slim (unless of course you're running a web dev forum), but I'm talking about the internet as a whole. But why have to rely on one piece of software to modify the rendering of another. This could be achieved through a set of plugins, or easier still as you're practically modifying rendered output, you could do exactly the same via the global_complete plugin.
          Well, for one this allows people to ignore people and threads without having to be logged in. Particularly handy for lurkers or for people who want to ignore based on keywords.

For another, I'm not interested in creating mods to vbulletin. Particularly not for this. I would love it if someone did but for my purposes, a browser extension works great. And if every browser was created equally, I'd gladly have it port to each one, but most browsers just don't cater to user added functionality all that well.

Comment

I don't use FireFox much but I'll download it later, looks quite cool
            - TomJames

Comment

downloaded... testing!

Comment

Looking good here on 2.0.0.14.
                Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

And what do you all think? What are your opinions?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X