Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

.com .net .org .tv etc... Names does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .com .net .org .tv etc... Names does it matter?

I hear all this talk about how .com names gets 80% more traffic, your wasting time and money getting anything but... etc..

Is this really true? and if it is why is that the case? I found just a golden domain name but its a .org name and i was shocked to see it was not a $5,000 premium domain name or anything.

Please, your thoughts, and thanks!
    NBA 2K12

I can't speak for anyone else, so I'll tell you my preference.

I tend to favor it like this: .com, .org, .net
    I will never buy a .info domain name, as they have been snatched up and tainted by spammers (in reference to the whole .info domain, not the actual tld I'd be buying).

As a rule of thumb, if this is a Web site for fun, I would prefer a .com first. If this is a project, such as software or the like, I would prefer the .org overall.

As for .tv, :S those really are just misused country codes, anyway.

Comment

I don't find it matters much for me... I have 2 .com domains and 3 .net domains ....

Comment

Originally posted by Chousho View Post

I will never buy a .info domain name, as they have been snatched up and tainted by spammers (in reference to the whole .info domain, not the actual tld I'd be buying).

As a rule of thumb, if this is a Web site for fun, I would prefer a .com first. If this is a project, such as software or the like, I would prefer the .org overall.

ok thanks for sharing your point of view

I should probably state my case as well... W/O knowing much about this at all so this has no validness to it at all lol but... i like this order

.com .net .org etc...

because its just from a most seen stand point. It seems likee verything is .com and w/ a few .net and very few .org

But does it really matter from a traffic stand point? indexing stand point? The only thing i can think of is 99% of the time some one searches for a site kinda at random w/o using a search engine there going to put XXXXX.com

you know what i mean?

more thoughts/opinions please!
        NBA 2K12

Comment

Originally posted by Chousho View Post

I love to misuse it then. Since I am really happy with the domain We Talk TV (wetalk.tv)

Comment

For me, the .com is always the priority.... when someone thinks of pepsi..they go to pepsi.com.

My preference is the .net before the .org, because .org is still associated with organizations and non-profits, but of course everyone has their own preference.

Comment

.com has always been more popular and easier to remember than others. It's so popular, Internet-only and technologies companies have been referred to as "dot com companies". You have more chances of selling an empty .com domain than other names. It's more for human recognition and popularity than anything.

However, content has always been king. I belong to, and currenly running, .net and .org domains. There's no difference as far as I know when it comes to search engine indexing. As a matter of fact, my .net domain ranks higher than many other .com domains in the same category.
              So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

I agree with Vtec44,.

You have to think about it this way, the "normal" visitor (depends of your target group ofcourse) dont know dont know so much about domains, so apart from there own ccTLD, they know

1. .com and there own ccTLD
                2. .net
                3. .org
                4. .tv
                5. doesnt matter.

So if you are going to target international visitors, dot com is the king, all other domains will be looked as second degree sites.

But it depends on what your site is about, and who your visitors are.

If you are a domainer and sell/buy domains to invest and not develope any serious website, and you are a newbie then you should only buy .com's until you have the experience to what to invest in. .com's are a lot easier to sell and at least 10 times as much valued then numero duo .net.

But ofcourse if you find a very good domainname, which is taken in .com, the buy it, but it better be a real good one.

You can see the example between sellprice at Namebio.com, here is an example at how much the domain sex.com got sold for in different extension:
                sex.gen.in - $220 in Sedo.com
                sex.co.uk - $408 in Sedo.com
                sex.st - $2,925 in Sedo.com
                sex.net - $454,500 in MonikerTraffic
                sex.com - $14,000,000 in Pvt Sale

As you can see .com 30 times the number two .net which got around 150 times more then number 3.

I hope this help a little good luck and best regards...

Comment

Originally posted by testingyou View Post
                  You have to think about it this way, the "normal" visitor (depends of your target group ofcourse) dont know dont know so much about domains, so apart from there own ccTLD, they know...
                  The average internet user follows links and favorites. They don't care about the TLD to be quite honest. If you can get the search engine rankings, they'll find your site either through the search engines or other sites that feel your content is worth linking to. If they like your site then they will bookmark it. If not then they will move on to the next result in their search.

Some TLDs can be worked into branding though and if you do that then you can make the site memorable and that might get you a true word of mouth referral once in a while but usually these happen via email which once again contain links. An example that I can think of for good branding opportunities is http://wetalk.tv. The TLD fits the site and even though I have never visited it and am not a member, I know of it.
                  Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                  The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                  vBulletin 5 API

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X