Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next version of vBulletin?

Hi guys,

So, the next version of VBB will be 4.0.x and I think vbulletin has already thought about it. What do you hope about the next generation? Do you think it will be included with seo for example?

I think if SEO was included for free that would be totally awesome.

Comment

I dont think vb 4.0 will be out for ages and if so it would be good if it had an seo included.

Comment

What SEO? vBulletin 3.X is fine for SEO as it is!. You have not been sucked in by all the hype surrounding vBSEO have you?

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
          What SEO? vBulletin 3.X is fine for SEO as it is!. You have not been sucked in by all the hype surrounding vBSEO have you?
          I have vbseo, ya. but I only use it for fancy links and make the big links smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveTomneyUK View Post
            I have vbseo, ya. but I only use it for fancy links and make the big links smaller.
            VBSEO does not really help with SEO! - it can, however, do some useful things.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeSmoke View Post
              I think if SEO was included for free that would be totally awesome.
              I think one of the reasons they don't include SEO features, is because they are trying to keep vBulletin as free from HTTPd feature requirements as possible. At present vBulletin will run on just about any web server that supports MySQL and PHP, but if SEO were included, the SEO features would be reliant on the web server supporting URL rewriting features, in a similar or identical way to which Apache does it.
              http://data.collectiveirc.net/status/user/Jobe.png

Comment

Originally posted by manutdvn View Post
                Hi guys,

So, the next version of VBB will be 4.0.x and I think vbulletin has already thought about it. What do you hope about the next generation? Do you think it will be included with seo for example?
                looking at the vB timeline. 4.0.x won't be for at least another year. Guessing by it's current timeline trend.

I do like 3.7.x though!

Comment

I imagine vB4 with more database support - PostgreSQL, MSSQL, Oracle, etc.

A lot of users prefers to use one database solution different of MySQL

PS: the good place about this is the 'suggestions' forum

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

Originally posted by manutdvn View Post
                    Hi guys,

VBB is a different forum product by another company. This is vB (vBulletin).

Comment

I want to see SEO feature too. I use vBSEO for one of my forum, but it will be great to have default SEO for my two other forums

Originally posted by Jobe1986 View Post
                      I think one of the reasons they don't include SEO features, is because they are trying to keep vBulletin as free from HTTPd feature requirements as possible. At present vBulletin will run on just about any web server that supports MySQL and PHP, but if SEO were included, the SEO features would be reliant on the web server supporting URL rewriting features, in a similar or identical way to which Apache does it.
                      It's easy to allow user to have or not SEO, it could be as vBBlog or v B Project Tools. If your server doesn't allow you to have SEO, don't have it or change server
                      vBProjects - Professional vBulletin Services and Solutions
                      vBSpring - Premium vBulletin Add-ons

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                        VBB is a different forum product by another company. This is vB (vBulletin).
                        It means VBulletin Board lol.

Comment

Dilly & Fusion, I've deleted both your posts .. behave on these forums; you two should know better.

Comment

Sorry, Floris. Personally I meant no ill will.
                            Toddler from Hell

Comment

SEF urls is almost certainly going to be included - Invision have just announced it and vB can't afford to get left behind.

Personally I want to see a more unified approach to data, very much like Drupals system. I hate the fact that we can't move blogs to forums to projects, imo this is really stupid - the whole point of having one provider for all these scripts is max integration with each other.

As much as I love vB and wish the development went more this way, I have been following Drupals development for a while and am in two minds whether to drop using vB to power my sites and go with Drupal instead. Of course they will take a different direction - which is actually what I want... forums are not enough by themselves anymore. The only thing holding me back is the time needed to learn Drupal to the level I want for customisation - I've used vB for years, and have learnt a great deal about it over that time, and we can now pretty much style it to exactly how we want (including for other publishing areas, such as articles). It would take at least 6 months of Drupaling to be able to do the same for Drupal imo. Downside to drupal is user interface is not as nice, and the forums are basic (which would mean running phpbb and a bridge, or even vb) obviously the emphasis of the sites would move quite a way from the forums anyway.

If only Jelsoft would take time out to talk to customers, and act on feedback - it could help them hold on to them. I guess firstly they need to ascertain which customers are most valuable to them and which ones they 'need' to keep. I know Drupal thrives on the type of sites I want to create.

I guess I am just holding out to the announcement from Jelsoft - to let us know what they have planned before I make a final decision.
                              What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X