Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gladius
    replied
    I got that one through ReCAPTCHA... It's from a Chinese IP so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a manual signup.

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    One of those spammers is registered with [email protected] email address

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    As I said originally, without the ability to use links or images in questions, Q&A as it is in vB now is next to useless. It might work for the time being because it's new, but that won't last long.

How right! It was a question of "hours".

I see and feel it on my forums!
    Last edited by boogie box high; Mon 19th May '08, 8:10am.

Leave a comment:

• Andy
    replied
    So far I had no problems with the Q&A function. Actually I don't even ask a question, I just ask the person registering to write down a word that I mention. I suppose that word could be randomly selected from a database, but as I said so far no problems using the one word.

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    Originally posted by boogie box high View Post
    Yes, I use only question option since captcha brought me over 1.000 spammers. Enough is enough.
    It was wrong to mention it!
    I have again over 10 new registered spam-members since yesterday even with random Q&A function!

They register their accounts with "1" in required and not required fields and all born on January 01. 1980, with Chinese timezone and of course with different IP's. So there is nothing I can do.
    Not happy.
    Last edited by boogie box high; Mon 19th May '08, 8:09am.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    Having a lot of questions (hundreds) would prevent this though. The questions shouldn't require the user to think or do research either. The Mercedes question above would make a lot of users do research.

The whole point of CAPTCHA, whether its image, text or sound based, is to help prevent bots from registering while allow easy access to people.
    But that's just it... even compiling a dozen questions general enough (but not dead obvious) that everyone would be able to answer them correctly is very hard, let alone hundreds. If you eliminate Y/N, colour, animal and calendar-related answers (which any bot programmer with half a brain would put on the list first), you're left with very little that is general enough that international members could answer. Heck, there's a good chance they'd get even those wrong, let alone anything more exotic or thought provoking.

As I said originally, without the ability to use links or images in questions, Q&A as it is in vB now is next to useless. It might work for the time being because it's new, but that won't last long.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    Because it's inaccesible and hard to read for normal users. It took me 5 minutes to sign up to yahoo a couple of weeks ago, and my vision is perfect when I wear my lenses.
    I was referring to the people writing bots to get around Captcha not human users.

The entire post should be read to get the context there, not just that one sentence.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    Not really... brute forcing with the most common answers would do just fine in most cases.
    Having a lot of questions (hundreds) would prevent this though. The questions shouldn't require the user to think or do research either. The Mercedes question above would make a lot of users do research.

The whole point of CAPTCHA, whether its image, text or sound based, is to help prevent bots from registering while allow easy access to people.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    These bots are not intelligence based. They just find the answer to your question and add it to a database. Then they can look for that question on any other forum too. So the more questions you have, the more difficult it is for the bots to keep up. At the end of the day a human would have to find the answer to your question.
    Not really... brute forcing with the most common answers would do just fine in most cases.

Leave a comment:

• noppid
    replied
    captcha works great with freetype compiled into apache and ttf fonts enabled in vBulletin with a bunch of fonts installed and obsfucated a bit.

There does not seem to be a warning in vB as to whether freetype is in apache, but I may have missed it if that is there.

Leave a comment:

• Yves Rigaud
    replied
    Using Recaptcha for now, there was no spammers before with captcha instead of now (i don't have any spammer)

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by MrNase View Post
    That's interesting.

So it's not about the question itself but about the amount of questions? If I have this question:

Does the Mercedes Benz 'Pagoda' have the engine in the front or in the rear?

Is it easy to break or is it just easy to break when someone wants to break it?
    So far my forums haven't been the target of spam so I feel save but that can (and will) change…
    These bots are not intelligence based. They just find the answer to your question and add it to a database. Then they can look for that question on any other forum too. So the more questions you have, the more difficult it is for the bots to keep up. At the end of the day a human would have to find the answer to your question.

Leave a comment:

• MrNase
    replied
    You would need thousands of questions to have any semblance of protection.
    That's interesting.

So it's not about the question itself but about the amount of questions? If I have this question:

Does the Mercedes Benz 'Pagoda' have the engine in the front or in the rear?

Is it easy to break or is it just easy to break when someone wants to break it?
    So far my forums haven't been the target of spam so I feel save but that can (and will) change…

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Question and Answer is actually easier to program for and break. Just build a database of questions for a site and pre-program the answers. You would need thousands of questions to have any semblance of protection.

The only reason it has worked for people so far is because no one is targetting their forums. Why develop tools against it when all the big boys still use captcha?
    Because it's inaccesible and hard to read for normal users. It took me 5 minutes to sign up to yahoo a couple of weeks ago, and my vision is perfect when I wear my lenses.

Leave a comment:

• Ryan Ashbrook
    replied
    No, I still use CAPTCHA.

I started using ReCAPTCHA for a while until I noticed nobody was registering, at first I thought it was because my site was new but it turns out ReCAPTCHA was messing up the registration page by making it so once you hit Submit it would try to download register.php instead of moving on (probably my fault, but eh).

I switched back to CAPTCHA and so far no spam bots and everyone is getting through fine.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X