• Show
Clear All

• Gladius
    replied
    Thanks, I might use that.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Instructions on how to setup moderating of the first XX posts is available here:
    http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248832

It isn't a switch that can just be turned on. Inline Moderation should be on by default when using a default style. It has been a feature since 3.6.0. All moderators, super moderators and administrators should have access to it. You can also see moderation queues from within your Admin CP.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    I've had a long post typed up, but then pressed another button and lost it as the quick reply here gets cleared and locked on returning to the previous page. Eh...

Anyway, the most important bit of the post was, where exactly do you turn inline moderation on and is there an actual setting for "approve first 5 posts and then don't require approval any more"? That actually sounds useful, but searching the vB manual I couldn't find answers to either of those questions.

The vB admin panel is so bloody big by now that it seriously needs an internal search engine where I could just type "inline" and it'd return a list of all ACP matches. I hope to see this in 4.0.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    If you want to completely eliminate bots, then you'll pretty much have to remove your site from the Internet at this point. All Captcha does is slow them down or force them to use human intervention for registering.

However when you take all the tools provided by the vBulletin system - Human Verification, Email Validation, Moderation and Spam Filtering - then you can create something that is easier to maintain. It probably won't stop 100% but 98% is good and easy to maintain. Though if you moderate the first 5 posts of every new user, you can appear to be 100% spam free. At least in the public's eyes. With inline moderation, this isn't a burden anymore. Just look at your forum's thread list and either approve or delete the moderated threads and posts.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    How is "Enter the word reebtoor in the box below" too complicated?
    It isn't, but "enter/type * word <X>" isn't really hard for a bot programmer to do either, is it?

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
    You could also do things like:

Enter the middle word: Cow, Horse, Elephant?
    What is the last word: House, Boat, Automobile?
    What is the fourth letter in Elephant?
    Using the last three letters in the word Elephant, what kind of insect do you get?
    How many letters does the word racecar have?
    How many sides do triangles have?
    What color is the sky?
    Roses are red, violets are?
    What number comes after 10?
    What color is the grass?
    The second month of the year is?
    There are how many days in a week?
    These are all dead easy for any spambot programmer to crack too. I was talking about Q&A that wouldn't be crackable by a bot with very limited intelligence, but all of the above easily is. I've seen spammers crack infinitely more complex systems than the above over the years.

Individual sites could have specific questions to their content as well.
    That would assume that everyone visiting a site is familiar with the content, which isn't always the case.

Leave a comment:

• Deriel
    replied
    I'm using question/answer for two weeks now, no SPAM and even with reCAPTCHA I get some SPAM.

So far, so good. And it's easier for the users, too.

Leave a comment:

• Chazel
    replied
    I was thinking about doing something along the lines of this:

Enter the word in this sentence that is red. Do not use capitalization or punctuation.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    You could also do things like:

Enter the middle word: Cow, Horse, Elephant?
    What is the last word: House, Boat, Automobile?
    What is the fourth letter in Elephant?
    Using the last three letters in the word Elephant, what kind of insect do you get?
    How many letters does the word racecar have?
    How many sides do triangles have?
    What color is the sky?
    Roses are red, violets are?
    What number comes after 10?
    What color is the grass?
    The second month of the year is?
    There are how many days in a week?

Individual sites could have specific questions to their content as well.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    How is "Enter the word reebtoor in the box below" too complicated?

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    You have to think outside the box. Ask users to spell words backwards, or without vowels. That throws a nice spanner in the works. When you think of all the easy but different things you can do to the English language you actually have quite a lot of possibilities. And regarding your bruteforcing suggestion, one would assume that vBulletin blocks IPs from people making a ridiculous amount of requests to the registration form. I certainly do that in my applications
    I think you'd be surprised how many people would screw up spelling a word backwards, let alone without vowels... this already falls under the "too complex" as far as I'm concerned. The majority of users who fail the first check won't attempt it again but rather go elsewhere.

As for vB blocking brute-forcing IPs, I don't think it does. I've never heard of it doing any such thing, at least.

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    You have to think outside the box. Ask users to spell words backwards, or without vowels.

I think there must be a better system / other possibilities than this, don't think that I would ever ask new members to spell words backwards.
    I even dont like recaptcha system (and would never use it if...yes, if...) because even for me its not that easy to find out what letters are on pictures, very complicated system, and always click on refresh to get a new pic with hopefully more visible letters its really annoying cause I do not have much time to type and type and type so I leave it... and I'm sure some...or maybe many new members feel the same.
    Last edited by boogie box high; Tue 20 May '08, 1:05am.

Leave a comment:

• Dean C
    replied
    Originally posted by Gladius View Post
    But that's just it... even compiling a dozen questions general enough (but not dead obvious) that everyone would be able to answer them correctly is very hard, let alone hundreds. If you eliminate Y/N, colour, animal and calendar-related answers (which any bot programmer with half a brain would put on the list first), you're left with very little that is general enough that international members could answer. Heck, there's a good chance they'd get even those wrong, let alone anything more exotic or thought provoking.

As I said originally, without the ability to use links or images in questions, Q&A as it is in vB now is next to useless. It might work for the time being because it's new, but that won't last long.
    You have to think outside the box. Ask users to spell words backwards, or without vowels. That throws a nice spanner in the works. When you think of all the easy but different things you can do to the English language you actually have quite a lot of possibilities. And regarding your bruteforcing suggestion, one would assume that vBulletin blocks IPs from people making a ridiculous amount of requests to the registration form. I certainly do that in my applications

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    Three questions, I know not much but I'm still "working" on it

How many would you suggest?

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    How many questions did you enter for your question and answer?

Leave a comment:

• boogie box high
    replied
    >10x manual signups with different ip's at one forum in a day...? hmmm, yes...could be...
    (I'm talking about Q&A, let's see with recaptcha).

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X