No announcement yet.

Has anyone disabled CAPTCHA since 3.7?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Recaptcha for now, there was no spammers before with captcha instead of now (i don't have any spammer)

vBulletin QA - vBulletin Support French - Lead Project Tools developer

Next release? Soon(tm)

Comment

captcha works great with freetype compiled into apache and ttf fonts enabled in vBulletin with a bunch of fonts installed and obsfucated a bit.

There does not seem to be a warning in vB as to whether freetype is in apache, but I may have missed it if that is there.
      Computer Help Forum
      An informed rider makes their first destination the motorcycle forum at rider info.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
        These bots are not intelligence based. They just find the answer to your question and add it to a database. Then they can look for that question on any other forum too. So the more questions you have, the more difficult it is for the bots to keep up. At the end of the day a human would have to find the answer to your question.
        Not really... brute forcing with the most common answers would do just fine in most cases.
        Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by Gladius View Post
          Not really... brute forcing with the most common answers would do just fine in most cases.
          Having a lot of questions (hundreds) would prevent this though. The questions shouldn't require the user to think or do research either. The Mercedes question above would make a lot of users do research.

The whole point of CAPTCHA, whether its image, text or sound based, is to help prevent bots from registering while allow easy access to people.
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
          Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dean C View Post
            Because it's inaccesible and hard to read for normal users. It took me 5 minutes to sign up to yahoo a couple of weeks ago, and my vision is perfect when I wear my lenses.
            I was referring to the people writing bots to get around Captcha not human users.

The entire post should be read to get the context there, not just that one sentence.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
              Having a lot of questions (hundreds) would prevent this though. The questions shouldn't require the user to think or do research either. The Mercedes question above would make a lot of users do research.

The whole point of CAPTCHA, whether its image, text or sound based, is to help prevent bots from registering while allow easy access to people.
              But that's just it... even compiling a dozen questions general enough (but not dead obvious) that everyone would be able to answer them correctly is very hard, let alone hundreds. If you eliminate Y/N, colour, animal and calendar-related answers (which any bot programmer with half a brain would put on the list first), you're left with very little that is general enough that international members could answer. Heck, there's a good chance they'd get even those wrong, let alone anything more exotic or thought provoking.

As I said originally, without the ability to use links or images in questions, Q&A as it is in vB now is next to useless. It might work for the time being because it's new, but that won't last long.
              Former endorsement revoked. You know the saying - one rotten apple spoils the whole barrel...

Comment

Originally posted by boogie box high View Post
                Yes, I use only question option since captcha brought me over 1.000 spammers. Enough is enough.
                It was wrong to mention it!
                I have again over 10 new registered spam-members since yesterday even with random Q&A function!

They register their accounts with "1" in required and not required fields and all born on January 01. 1980, with Chinese timezone and of course with different IP's. So there is nothing I can do.
                Not happy.
                Last edited by boogie box high; Mon 19th May '08, 8:09am.

Comment

So far I had no problems with the Q&A function. Actually I don't even ask a question, I just ask the person registering to write down a word that I mention. I suppose that word could be randomly selected from a database, but as I said so far no problems using the one word.

Comment

As I said originally, without the ability to use links or images in questions, Q&A as it is in vB now is next to useless. It might work for the time being because it's new, but that won't last long.

How right! It was a question of "hours".

I see and feel it on my forums!
                    Last edited by boogie box high; Mon 19th May '08, 8:10am.

Comment

One of those spammers is registered with [email protected] email address

Comment

I got that one through ReCAPTCHA... It's from a Chinese IP so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a manual signup.

Comment

>10x manual signups with different ip's at one forum in a day...? hmmm, yes...could be...
                          (I'm talking about Q&A, let's see with recaptcha).

Comment

How many questions did you enter for your question and answer?

Wayne Luke

Comment

Three questions, I know not much but I'm still "working" on it

How many would you suggest?

Comment

But that's just it... even compiling a dozen questions general enough (but not dead obvious) that everyone would be able to answer them correctly is very hard, let alone hundreds. If you eliminate Y/N, colour, animal and calendar-related answers (which any bot programmer with half a brain would put on the list first), you're left with very little that is general enough that international members could answer. Heck, there's a good chance they'd get even those wrong, let alone anything more exotic or thought provoking.

You have to think outside the box. Ask users to spell words backwards, or without vowels. That throws a nice spanner in the works. When you think of all the easy but different things you can do to the English language you actually have quite a lot of possibilities. And regarding your bruteforcing suggestion, one would assume that vBulletin blocks IPs from people making a ridiculous amount of requests to the registration form. I certainly do that in my applications
                                Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                                Working...
                                X