Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone disabled CAPTCHA since 3.7?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Has anyone disabled CAPTCHA since 3.7?

    Just curious if anyone has disabled CAPTCHA for registration now that the Question/Answer challenge (NoSPAM) has been integrated into 3.7.

  • #2
    I use recaptcha, not captcha or q:a

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Floris View Post
      I use recaptcha, not captcha or q:a
      Ditto

      - T
      OPEN TECH SUPPORT
      "Tech is our middle name!"

      Comment


      • #4
        I have vBMail, so I don't use captcha/recaptcha/q:a for registration.
        So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bboy View Post
          Just curious if anyone has disabled CAPTCHA for registration now that the Question/Answer challenge (NoSPAM) has been integrated into 3.7.
          Yes, I use only question option since captcha brought me over 1.000 spammers. Enough is enough.

          Comment


          • #6
            I use the Question/Answer challenge but I think that's even more complicated for some users.
            That's the end of that!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by MrNase View Post
              I use the Question/Answer challenge but I think that's even more complicated for some users.
              The ACP really needs to be better organized sometimes but under which setting is the Q&A? Its morning and I am having a tough time finding it...laff...

              edit

              NM found it... just can not choose it along with another option Should be able to choose image verification or re-captcha and this.

              Comment


              • #8

                Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

                That's the end of that!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by MrNase View Post

                  Click for full size - Uploaded with plasq's Skitch

                  Translation? hehe

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bboy View Post
                    Just curious if anyone has disabled CAPTCHA for registration now that the Question/Answer challenge (NoSPAM) has been integrated into 3.7.
                    Question and Answer is actually easier to program for and break. Just build a database of questions for a site and pre-program the answers. You would need thousands of questions to have any semblance of protection.

                    The only reason it has worked for people so far is because no one is targetting their forums. Why develop tools against it when all the big boys still use captcha?
                    Translations provided by Google.

                    Wayne Luke
                    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                      I use the Question/Answer challenge but I think that's even more complicated for some users.
                      Yeah, don't ask people what's the equation for The Fundamental Theorem of Calculus.
                      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        No, I still use CAPTCHA.

                        I started using ReCAPTCHA for a while until I noticed nobody was registering, at first I thought it was because my site was new but it turns out ReCAPTCHA was messing up the registration page by making it so once you hit Submit it would try to download register.php instead of moving on (probably my fault, but eh).

                        I switched back to CAPTCHA and so far no spam bots and everyone is getting through fine.
                        Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                          Question and Answer is actually easier to program for and break. Just build a database of questions for a site and pre-program the answers. You would need thousands of questions to have any semblance of protection.

                          The only reason it has worked for people so far is because no one is targetting their forums. Why develop tools against it when all the big boys still use captcha?
                          Because it's inaccesible and hard to read for normal users. It took me 5 minutes to sign up to yahoo a couple of weeks ago, and my vision is perfect when I wear my lenses.
                          Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                            You would need thousands of questions to have any semblance of protection.
                            That's interesting.

                            So it's not about the question itself but about the amount of questions? If I have this question:

                            Does the Mercedes Benz 'Pagoda' have the engine in the front or in the rear?

                            Is it easy to break or is it just easy to break when someone wants to break it?
                            So far my forums haven't been the target of spam so I feel save but that can (and will) change…
                            That's the end of that!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                              That's interesting.

                              So it's not about the question itself but about the amount of questions? If I have this question:

                              Does the Mercedes Benz 'Pagoda' have the engine in the front or in the rear?

                              Is it easy to break or is it just easy to break when someone wants to break it?
                              So far my forums haven't been the target of spam so I feel save but that can (and will) change…
                              These bots are not intelligence based. They just find the answer to your question and add it to a database. Then they can look for that question on any other forum too. So the more questions you have, the more difficult it is for the bots to keep up. At the end of the day a human would have to find the answer to your question.
                              Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X