Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

couple questions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • couple questions

    im no sure where to put this seeing as im not customer yet.

    I currently run a SMF froum, im not pleased with how it runs and want to switch to vbulletion. The problem I have is I didnt set up my board, I dont know what I need to do in preperation for them to install vbulletion. I decided to buy the package where they set it up so I dont screw anything up.

    Do I need to totally delete my database?

    I dont mind deleting the database and starting over the forum, should this be deleted before they install vbulletion? And lets say for instance I dont delete the database how will my site know which database to load from?

    Do I need to delete all the files in my file manager?

    same thing as other question I didnt set this up so not sure what to do in here. I have messed around with it before, Think I got a pretty good idea how to delete all the files but again dont want to screw anything up.


    any help is very much appriciated.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Stormswa View Post
    Do I need to totally delete my database?

    I dont mind deleting the database and starting over the forum, should this be deleted before they install vbulletion? And lets say for instance I dont delete the database how will my site know which database to load from?
    If you already have existing posts and users, you don't need to delete your database, yet... vBulletin has a script called Impex that would convert your existing forum database into something that vBulletin can use. Besides, it's recommended that you backup your database before installation, anyway...

    Originally posted by Stormswa View Post
    Do I need to delete all the files in my file manager?

    same thing as other question I didnt set this up so not sure what to do in here. I have messed around with it before, Think I got a pretty good idea how to delete all the files but again dont want to screw anything up.
    You don't need to delete your files before installation, unless you're installing vBulletin in the same folder as your SMF. If you wanna get an idea as to how the whole "conversion" process takes place, I invite you to take a gander at the vBulletin user's guide, and scroll down to Appendix 5: Impex Import System. You can also browse through the installation process and see if it's something you can do yourself... if all else fails, you can always pay for professional installation.

    Hope this helps, and good luck...

    - T
    Last edited by Tolitz; Tue 6 May '08, 3:41am.
    OPEN TECH SUPPORT
    "Tech is our middle name!"

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Tolitz View Post
      If you already have existing posts and users, you don't need to delete your database, yet... vBulletin has a script called Impex that would convert your existing forum database into something that vBulletin can use. Besides, it's recommended that you backup your database before installation, anyway...
      ok I think I understand what you are saying here, so I let it convert my current forum. THEN I delete the old database, question though do I have to do this or is it done by the people here im paying to install it. They told me they dont delete anything just make a database. If im paying for them to professionally install shouldnt this be included in what im paying for.?



      Originally posted by Tolitz View Post
      You don't need to delete your files before installation, unless you're installing vBulletin in the same folder as your SMF. If you wanna get an idea as to how the whole "conversion" process takes place, I invite you to take a gander at the vBulletin user's guide, and scroll down to Appendix 5: Impex Import System. You can also browse through the installation process and see if it's something you can do yourself... if all else fails, you can always pay for professional installation.

      Hope this helps, and good luck...

      - T
      again yes im having it professionally done because I dont want to screw it up but also like I said they said they dont delete anything. WHen I play the $150 then am I just paying for them to create a Database for me to use? I thought I was paying for them to get it completley done, I havent payed yet because if its just creating me a database I can have one of my friends do that. If its to totally get one up and running then im willing to pay them for that. Just need some clarification on what exactly im paying for.




      Just found this

      Professional Installation
      If you select this service, our server technicians will install vBulletin directly onto your server.

      Note: Each service ordered covers installation of one license on one server. Installation does not include importation of posts, user information, or styles from other forum software. Once the installation worksheet is filled out correctly, the installation is assigned to one of our Techs and is usually completed within 1-2 business days (not including weekends.)

      So all they do is drop the new database into my server correct? so I need to combine the old database into the new one myself.

      Keep in mind I dont know what im doing here, this is 1st time I have taken active roll in this. Ok so explain to me how the site knows where to grab stuff out of file manager. For instance how does it know to load up Vbulletion and not SMF? sorry if all this is stupid questions.

      Im starting to feel that it might just be easier to restart everything from scratch, the board is only about 6 months old and the regulars wouldnt mind setting up new account. So if I wanted to start over from scratch I would just go in and wipe out old databases and the file manager right?
      Last edited by Stormswa; Tue 6 May '08, 5:12am.

      Comment

      widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
      Working...
      X