Is there any real way to ban someone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there any real way to ban someone?

I have a user of my forums that keeps coming back and polluting my forums.

I have tried just simply banning him - doesn't work.
    I have banned his IP address - he changes it.
    I can't ban a range of IP addresses as that stops credible users
    I can't ban his email domain as it is widely used (he just changes his email address)
    I can't make users wait for me to validate them - that drives them away, I tried it.
    I have found him using other user names that are in the system that I didn't know was him - picked up by a mod called Multiple Login Detection

So, can anyone tell what they do to stop this from happening or is there just no way to stop someone - Thanks!
    Best regards
    Ian
    "Everyone wants to fly, but some people just haven't realised it yet"
    www.recreationalflying.com
    NOTE: This post remains solely the property of the poster and any reference to it is done so by the acceptance of this condition. Also elements of whatever I posted were previously used by a competing site so the post is also made on the condition that it can not be used by Glenn Inwood of Cowra NSW Australia or anyone associated with him.

If someone is determined enough there is really no way to stop them, however, if they continue it could be considered harassment and it might be possible to contact your local law enforcement to help.

Comment

I remember read a mod at vbulletin.org to ignore a user. ban him again. let him sign up again, then you will add him to the ignore user. No one will see his posts.

Comment

I have had a couple of people like that over the years. They give up eventually, so just hang in there - it comes with the territory. Its more work for them to go through the registration process than it is for me to ban them.
        Last edited by birdie; Sat 3 May '08, 5:12pm. Reason: typo

Comment

As Zachery said, if they're determined enough, there's nothing you can do to stop them, but there are modifications at vBulletin.org that can help, such as the one you're using to detect multiple accounts, and I'd suggest using Paul M's hack, which detects proxies and uses their real IP instead, that should strip out his proxy's IP and make his real one visible, thus banning him.

Comment

Thanks so much guys - he really is wearing me down. He is now joining my forums in the middle of the night. I am in Australia and so to is this person that I am trying to ban.

I have also now been told, and I am not sure about the accuracy of this but if your forums are closed to viewing by guests then it is a law enforceable situation as he is trying to access a a "private" server. This goes for whatever extent you close your forums to. For example my forums are closed to guests viewing the post content - they can see the thread titles but not the posts. This means that they are "private" BUT I have to by law formally advise the person that they can not access them by way of a registered letter. Now comes the hard part, getting their physical address - that will cost money with legal representation going to the email address provider. If they used a credit card with a fake physical address then again more money.

Any way I do very much appreciate your help on this matter - thanks again!
            Last edited by ibaker; Sun 4 May '08, 4:14pm.
            Best regards
            Ian
            "Everyone wants to fly, but some people just haven't realised it yet"
            www.recreationalflying.com
            NOTE: This post remains solely the property of the poster and any reference to it is done so by the acceptance of this condition. Also elements of whatever I posted were previously used by a competing site so the post is also made on the condition that it can not be used by Glenn Inwood of Cowra NSW Australia or anyone associated with him.

Comment

You might try using Paul M's Miserable Users hack (for 3.6) on vb.org instead of banning him.
              Project Management Knowledge Base
              Project Planning Info

Comment

Do you have access to the server?? You can ban his MAC address at the server end...
                MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Gronlund View Post
                  Do you have access to the server?? You can ban his MAC address at the server end...
                  Just curious, but how do you propose they get his MAC addy? Again, I'm just wondering about this

Comment

Stay persistent - the more you ignore them in public and in private ban them using .htaccess per IP - the less motivation the user gets in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by ibaker View Post
                      I have a user of my forums that keeps coming back and polluting my forums.

I have tried just simply banning him - doesn't work.
                      I have banned his IP address - he changes it.
                      I can't ban a range of IP addresses as that stops credible users
                      I can't ban his email domain as it is widely used (he just changes his email address)
                      I can't make users wait for me to validate them - that drives them away, I tried it.
                      I have found him using other user names that are in the system that I didn't know was him - picked up by a mod called Multiple Login Detection

So, can anyone tell what they do to stop this from happening or is there just no way to stop someone - Thanks!
                      Wait for validate is a good thing, you can validate users after one or two days, you can wait more time for proxy ip and suspect emails.
                      Multiple login Detection can tell you if he write from the same browser, unless he knows the trick and delete the cookie.
                      As Floris told you stay persistent and delete everything he write as soon as possible, don't give him satisfaction and most probably he will give up.
                      Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                      Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

At least make it so that anything new users submit up to a certain point is moderated, and disable PMs and visitor messaging for them. That way his pollution won't reach your users at all.
                        Toddler from Hell

Comment

Originally posted by Chousho View Post
                          Just curious, but how do you propose they get his MAC addy? Again, I'm just wondering about this
                          Don't want to see this thread closed, so i won't go into details.
                          Not that its always a bad thing, its used by Cisco all the time..

Use Arp Poison to trick a local network packet in your hands, and just packet sniff the MAC address...

You can Ban any of the following
                          • Any MAC address used by the offender LAN Card "Ethernet"..
                          • The Router MAC address used by the offender - Even Cable/DSL modem as it is a router.
                          • The first hop router used by offender..
                          Personally i find banning the first hop router is most effective, as they can use a proxy all they want. Their still banned...
                          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
                          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

The only way to ban someone permanently is to close your site to new registrations.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony89 View Post
                              The only way to ban someone permanently is to close your site to new registrations.
                              Nope, they can still steal accounts
                              Italian Body Building & Fitness : www.BodyWeb.com
                              Italian unofficial support Forum : www.vBulletin.it

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X