Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replaced crappy Vista with XP, but what about a dual-boot kind of setup...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Creepshow View Post
    A search on Google for "Vista sucks" or similair will reveal all.

Mostly, it's the fact that it seems to be incompatible with a lot of programs.
    "It seems to be" is not the same as "it is."

And most of those "Vista sucks" articles are written by "IT professionals" who've never even used Vista. It's just trendy to be on the anti-Microsoft bandwagon right now.
    Forums

Comment

Wow, you two are certainly among the minority. At least from what I've seen and heard. I think Vista is awful.
      Actually, no, those who have some sort of personal vendetta against Vista are in an extremely vocal minority. I'd estimate that 90-95% of Vista users have absolutely no issues with it, just like those who run XP.
      Forums

Comment

Well, I disagree with you, so let's agree to disagree.

And Vista IS incompatible with lots of programs.
        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Quillz View Post
          Actually, no, those who have some sort of personal vendetta against Vista are in an extremely vocal minority. I'd estimate that 90-95% of Vista users have absolutely no issues with it, just like those who run XP.
          I think it is more of third party peripherals not having proper firmware for Vista or they do not want you to have older products. I will wait till 2010 to upgrade to beta Windows (7) or if I have to I might get Vista

How is third party's software a Vista problem... I know you are going to get Windows (7) and somehow would want that as your third operating system added onto your computer...

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Amaral Rego View Post
            I will wait till 2010 to upgrade to beta Windows (7) or if I have to I might get Vista
            With Windows Touch Technology , will be a fun beta for sure..
            MCSE, MVP, CCIE
            Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Why do you disgree though? I am genuinely curious as to what you find with Vista. Your complaints are vague.

Also what programs do you have problems with? Usually problems are a simple solution such as running them in an XP compatibility mode.
              Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
              The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
              vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
              Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Why run them on vista in xp mode, if you can run them in xp .

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                  Why run them on vista in xp mode, if you can run them in xp .
                  Because its a waste of time running two operating systems on a machine.

Wayne Luke

Comment

I can say my largest complaint is the 3 or so popups asking me if I REALLY am sure I want to do something. PITA really. That, and the fact I had to install the wrong drivers for my printer just to get it to print. Still can't scan, fax or copy with the darned thing. And running the darned thing in "XP mode" didn't do a darned thing.

Other than that? Not a major difference than getting use to XP, just ... different.

Comment

I came from Vista on an under powered machine (1.86Ghz centrino, 2GB ram, 128mb shared intel video chip) and pre-sp1 days, so my views might be biased / outdated. But from my experience, while Vista offered some improvements on security (UAC, and the USB memory encryption thing off of back of my hand), it tried to do too much eye candy and other non-essential things; which in turn made the system slow, and make my laptop fan spin nearly non-stop. Now that I'm on Ubuntu 7.10 (I should upgrade to 8.04 soon) I have none of that problem... in fact, I have several eye candy stuff running fine here, too. With Wine installed, I miss only a few games that doesn't run too well in Wine...
                      Best Regards,
                      Andy Huang

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                        Because its a waste of time running two operating systems on a machine.
                        If it means you can use all your programs then I honestly don't see how it's a waste of time.
                        "CREEPSHOW CREEPS ONLINE" - The first & best online resource dead-icated to Stephen King & George A. Romero's 1982 horror anthology classic!!!!

Comment

If it means you can use all your programs then I honestly don't see how it's a waste of time.
                          I can run all my programs on Vista though. This includes new Vista versions of favorites as well as old games and children's storybooks that I bought back in the early 90s when Windows 3.1 was popular.

As I said above, I have only had problems with two programs under Vista and they were easily replaced. Besides there is no DirectX 10 under XP and it makes for some nice games and effects.

But switching between OSes all the time takes time. XP takes 5 minutes to boot up. Vista takes 3 minutes (on my computer). That is 8 minutes of unproductivity every time you switch between the two.

Wayne Luke

Comment

Both OS's are loading really, REALLY fast on my system...

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                            Working...
                            X