Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spam Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!

I keep getting spam on my forum every other day and am sick of deleting it all the time now

i keep getting ones like this >>>>>>>

For sale Pioneer CDJ-1000mk2...............$500

WE WHOLESALE DEALER OF ELECTRONIC WHO SPECIALIZES IN THE SALES OF DJ EQUIPMENT SUCH AS PIONEER CDJ.PIONEER DJM .SAMPLER .NURMARK.SPEAKER MIXER,TURNTABLE CONTACT US AT
    different email address every time

how can i stop it
    Last edited by Wayne Luke; Fri 25 Apr '08, 9:39am. Reason: Don't think we need to spread his spam for him.
    Web Hosting Forum | Fastest Hosting | Backup Storage

How to Reduce Spam and Registration Bots

Next time please post in the correct support forum. Thank you.
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Well it isn't by bots because I have "Verify Email address in Registration" set to: Yes.

They are actually going out of there way and confirming there email address just to spam which no doubt is because my forum ranks well and gets a lot of traffic. What’s even worse is the stuff there spamming is even fraud/scams. I do not want any of my visitors/members falling for them.

The only way to go about this is moderate every first post. If the moderators accept the first post then the users can carry on posting without them having to approved

How can I have this kind of setup?

Comment

Bots can confirm their email address.

Comment

Originally posted by djpassion View Post
          The only way to go about this is moderate every first post. If the moderators accept the first post then the users can carry on posting without them having to approved

How can I have this kind of setup?
          http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248832
          Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

Comment

oh i didnt know that

so how do i go about approving first time threads?

Comment

cheers wayne ill give that a try thanks

Comment

I've got the same problem that you have DJ

Comment

There are some decent hacks over on vbulletin.org that take of spammers pretty good.

Hell, my CDJ-1000MK1's cost 500 each...that's a steal for MK2's

Comment

Use Image Verification.

I've not had a bot yet break Image Verification, not saying it can't, but if you put enough tweaks in it, about 50% of the options, so that humans can still read it, bots seemed to disappear from our site or as far from registering.

Still some try, like svservers from Germany and other sites, but they aren't getting through.

I've had 3 total members who went out of there way to email verify and manually get through as a human, and they were banned/deleted with all posts gone within 15 minutes of joining, so it's working good for us.

Comment

I manually validate each user, then the first 15 posts also have to be approved by a moderator. I haven't had a single spam post for the public to see since 2005.
                      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec44 View Post
                        I manually validate each user, then the first 15 posts also have to be approved by a moderator. I haven't had a single spam post for the public to see since 2005.
                        COPPA Registration is slow though. Meaning if you're sleeping someone could wait hours before being able to post. While this isn't a bad solution, I'm amazed they get by image verification to begin with if they are spam.

We use a 30 post useless member group, where you can only pm, post, and make new threads. No custom avatar, no custom sig, no links, no IMG tags, nothing. Originally we had no polls but I couldn't believe that was on there and removed it.

Comment

Yeah, fortunately my forum is popular enough in its category for me to do that. I delete off about 10 spam accounts a day, it's unbelieveable. I haven't done that to the one that I recently started though.
                          So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

10 only must be nice have at least 50 a day driveing me nuts.Have to spam hacks in do no good at all.The Verify Email address in Registration has never woked and the code one has never worked

Comment

Ever since I upgraded to vB 3.7, it has been 0.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X