Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need an English expert

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Way Off-Topic need an English expert

    Hey guys, I need some help.

    I want to know if the place I am currently at is the only place where it rains at the moment. What would be the question?


    Is it rainy somewhere else or just here?

    - or -

    Is it rainy anywhere else or just here?

    - or -

    Is it rainy elsewhere or just here?



    What do propose? Thanks!
    That's the end of that!

  • #2
    Well, if you were to ask anyone around here (U.S. wise), you could use any of them. But the most comment (and one that sounds the best, at least to me) would be the second one.
    Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, the second one is more grammatically correct, I believe.

      Comment


      • #4
        Yes, all correct.. Second is most correct...
        MCSE, MVP, CCIE
        Microsoft Beta Team

        Comment


        • #5
          The second sentence. The first doesn't quite work for me. The third is informal so it depends on who you are talking to.
          Translations provided by Google.

          Wayne Luke
          The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
          vBulletin 5 API

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Onimua View Post
            Well, if you were to ask anyone around here (U.S. wise), you could use any of them. But the most comment (and one that sounds the best, at least to me) would be the second one.
            The most common?
            The best comment?

            Comment


            • #7
              I think some of it will depend on regional dialect but in NY we would say "Is it raining everywhere or just here?"...

              "Is it raining elsewhere or just here?" may also work but in this case elsewhere would be substituted by a specific place like "Is it raining in San Francisco or just here?".
              Plan, Do, Check, Act!

              Comment


              • #8
                Is this the only place it's p*ssing down?

                Comment


                • #9
                  My finest Queen's English would dictate that I choose number #2.
                  I wrote ImpEx.

                  Blog | Me

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I would use:

                    Is it raining anywhere else, or just here?
                    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Reeve of Shinra View Post
                      I think some of it will depend on regional dialect but in NY we would say "Is it raining everywhere or just here?"...

                      "Is it raining elsewhere or just here?" may also work but in this case elsewhere would be substituted by a specific place like "Is it raining in San Francisco or just here?".
                      I guess even then it depends where in NY ;D as I would say something along the lines of:

                      "Is it raining anywhere else, or just here?"

                      or

                      "It's been raining a lot, has anybody else been getting it, too?"

                      You have to keep in mind, you have 2 separate ideas you're trying to put out. First, you want to express that it's raining currently where you're at. Second, you want to ask if anywhere else is receiving rain.

                      --edit--
                      *snicker* I didn't even notice my first one was the same as Razasharp's.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chousho View Post
                        I guess even then it depends where in NY
                        That and it would be American, opposed to English; I notice a lot of difference in grammar, dialect and pronunciation.
                        I wrote ImpEx.

                        Blog | Me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Jerry View Post
                          That and it would be American, opposed to English; I notice a lot of difference in grammar, dialect and pronunciation.
                          I've noticed that too. We have some more commonalities in speech compared to our Old World counterparts.

                          I actually meant my reply as "a fellow NYer", haha -- I hail from around the Souther Tier in upsate NY. Although I thought you were from Canada from your location (also, I remember watching the McKenzie brothers and other SCTV sketches late at night after Letterman).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I would probably say "Is it raining anywhere else or is it just here?"
                            ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
                            Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                              I would probably say "Is it raining anywhere else or is it just here?"
                              Or just send people a link to the weather channel.

                              Originally posted by Chousho View Post
                              Although I thought you were from Canada from your location (also, I remember watching the McKenzie brothers and other SCTV sketches late at night after Letterman).
                              I'm mostly from England, I just moved here a few years ago; I went though a few posh schools there, also my Mother was an English teacher for a while and elocution was always of importance.
                              I wrote ImpEx.

                              Blog | Me

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X