Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pk698
    replied
    been playing wow since summer 2006. Love the game.

Sure there's a fee and most people don't like it. But as someone said in this thread, it just depends on what you're interested in.

I don't mind paying the fee. it's a great game. I have a 70 NE hunter and a 70 human pally, and 42 NE priest, 38 human mage on shadowsong.

Leave a comment:

• Jake Bunce
    replied
    i like wow

MMO's are social games. Don't play for the grind.

Leave a comment:

• Vile
    replied
    Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
    The only thing I didnt like about WOW is it gets boring after awhile. Grind, grind, run errands for people, grind, do a few quests and maybe a raid or 2. Run across the map...get ganked...die...run across the map again to get a specific type of creature hife, tooth, etc....or plant...then run back. Rinse and repeat. I dunno. It just...sucked after awhile.
    This really depends on your progression.
    Leveling, grinding, etc is all pretty boring yes, but once you are done with it, and reach 70, the end game content is really where it's all at.
    For example, our guild is a raiding guild, that focuses purely on end game content. Currently we are about 70% through Black Temple (this was the final dungeon on the game, but patch 2.4 introduced a new one - Sunwell) and it's pretty fun because it's all new content, and pretty challenging.

As for it not being worth the price, I do disagree. As mentioned previously, the same can be said for most other things that require monthly or annual payment. I also had this viewpoint on the game prior to playing it, but after actually playing it, I found it was definitely worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz
    replied
    Been playing WoW on and off since it came out... got a few 70s to show for it... but if you're a forum administrator or if your members wanna try out WoW, be warned. WoW killed off most of my forum's active members (including me for a while), so consider yourself warned

- T

Leave a comment:

• whitetigergrowl
    replied
    The only thing I didnt like about WOW is it gets boring after awhile. Grind, grind, run errands for people, grind, do a few quests and maybe a raid or 2. Run across the map...get ganked...die...run across the map again to get a specific type of creature hife, tooth, etc....or plant...then run back. Rinse and repeat. I dunno. It just...sucked after awhile.

Leave a comment:

• quarum
    replied
    You know the monthly cost is really no big deal. Buying the game and paying a subscription fee is the same as buying an AV program and paying the renewal fee each year, or the same as buying a house and paying for the utilities each month. There are many cases where you buy products and then pay fee's to keep those products operational.

Imagine the monthly cost to maintain all those servers and the bandwidth needed to allow that many servers to operate and players to connect. They claim to have over 15 million subscribers.

Patches, new content and expansions happen. As the player base grows new content is added. For one person to pay $15 per month for all of that really makes it cheap entertainment. When was the last time you went out to a movie or dinner or some other activity as much as you wanted and only paid $15 per month?

I play WoW and enjoy it. I dont let it run my life. The winter months when it is cold outside, paying $15 a month to hop online and raid an instance, well thats just fun.

I have read stories where companies use games like WoW to actually improve teamwork. They use raiding as a way to build teamwork between people. Heck 25 people all working together to achieve a goal. that does build teamwork.

You will always hear and read stories of people who let any online game dominate their life. These for the most part are addicts. In as much as being hooked on something, I would rather see people hooked on a game then to see them hooked on drugs or booze.

Anyway - WoW is a great game. Lots of fun once you get past the grind of leveling a character up to level 70. Get into raiding. 25 people using Teamspeak or Vent, all working in an instance to get a new boss killed - well thats just plain fun.

But that is just my two cents.

Leave a comment:

• raiderlax
    replied
    I have no idea whatsoever what the big deal about this game is. On tv I saw this kid who played it non stop and it was basically all he did. It was running his life!

I don't why a game like this has so many people playing it.

(and yes I've played it before)

Leave a comment:

• RichM
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I never understood why I should a) pay for the game and b) keep paying to be allowed playing it.

Not worth it in my eyes.
    Imo, most people won't understand that unless they play it.

WoW is not like most games where you buy it and it will remain like that forever, with the possibility of an addon or a patch a few years later. WoW is constantly being updated, patched and improved. Not to mention that WoW also has customer support, which is another reason behind the monthly cost. They also have moderation teams who can be contacted at anytime through the game.

If people only had to pay a one off fee for World of Warcraft, then I think it'd be very unlikely that Blizzard (Developers of WoW) would be able to cover their overheads AND make a profit.

Leave a comment:

• Yves Rigaud
    replied
    This game remembers me a french ad on TV

/me is gone away...

Leave a comment:

• Chousho
    replied
    Oh WoW, a topic on Wow!
    I just started playing about a week ago, at the perseverance and pressure of my friends. I started the 10 day trial and found the game so fun I bought it a few days later.

I'm pretty sure the only reason people wouldn't find it fun is if they don't have any friends who play. I've been playing a little bit every day and have found the game so much fun to play with friends. I'm sure if I was doing it alone it wouldn't be as interesting, but then again I'm sure I could just make friends with people in the game, anyway.

Coming from Final Fantasy XI to WoW has helped, as well, as many of same ideas are interchangeable with maybe a slight name-change and some different stats.

As for paying monthly: so what? It's $15 or so a month for a fun game that has a pretty high quality level. I'm sure I could find some free games that have the same kind of idea behind them, but don't have the same standard of quality. Even still, if you decide not to play for a while and not pay, your character will still be there when you decide to come back.

The developers and all the other staff at the WoW section of Blizzard obviously are given great incentives to produce an awesome game. If paying a small fee results in them working hard, taking care of the servers, bug fixes and the like, while still having new stories come out that I can play and have fun exploring a pretty massive world, then the paltry fee is more than worth it.

In the end it's individual choice; if someone wants to play a very high quality MMORPG that has a high population, they'll most likely pay a monthly fee. If they're cheap or don't want to pay a monthly fee, they can always find some game that's most likely second rate (at best) or has a low population.

As for the VBulletin connection, it's hard to draw an accurate comparison. I suppose it would be like comparing the leased VB license to that of phpBB or the like. One is a standard that requires someone to pay. The other has a large community of people working on it, but not as motivated as they don't actually have an income relying upon it. In the end, I feel it's better to pay for quality than settle for complacency.

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by TomJames View Post
    I agree that most online games aren't worth paying for, having said that I've started playing EVE again , great game if you're more interested in the corporation and back stabbing kind of game.

WoW is cool too but I found it overly repetitive
    Everything in life is repeitive.

Leave a comment:

• TomJames
    replied
    I agree that most online games aren't worth paying for, having said that I've started playing EVE again , great game if you're more interested in the corporation and back stabbing kind of game.

WoW is cool too but I found it overly repetitive

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    Yeah but you don't have to keep paying to use vBulletin. I don't know why everyone is jumping on Floris about this...

Leave a comment:

• Mazinger
    replied
    Originally posted by Floris View Post
    I never understood why I should a) pay for the game and b) keep paying to be allowed playing it.

Not worth it in my eyes.
    I think we shouldn't be paying for vBulletin then.

Leave a comment:

• Creepshow
    replied
    I went with the similair GuildWars in the end. No subscription fees. Screw WoW.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X