Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help please, a woman is threatening legal action.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please, a woman is threatening legal action.

Ok, so heres the scenario ... I have an online community for Nannies in Australia, brand new, only a few months old, and it has been going wonderfully until Nanny agencies started infultraiting it!

There is a section on my sight where Nannies can rant about things, and they do, including bad agencies and their behaviour. I have recently added posting rules asking them not to name the actual agencies in question and asked members to contact each other directly if they wish to no the agency name.

However, we have had one very annoying woman from an agency who came into the forum, publically declared the name of a member and then proceede to air her dirty laundry with that member on my forum!!!
    I managed to remove all the drama off the public forum and shuttle the angry nannies who were being attacked by the agencies onto a private, password protected area of the forum. In this private area of the forum, where you can only access if i give permission i am allowing the nannies to say what they like, is this ok?

Anyway now this woman who is a lurker on the forum has noticed someone made a post a ranting about an agency interview. She has emailed me saying this is unnaceptable and unresolved and if she see's her name of her agency mentioned ever on the forum she will seek legal advice. Her agency wasnt even mentioned by the way, nor was it infered.
    Now besides giving this woman a good slap, my questions are these ...

1. Does she have any legal recourse aginst me?
    2. Forums everywhere mention business names and even people, do i really have to sensor everything?? there are parent forums that publiclly slander nannies, why not the reverse?
    3. What should i do about this stupid woman?

did u get any take down notice ? if not then you don't need to worry about it

if you still fear, then just put that agency name in censored word list

Comment

Originally posted by Oz_gal View Post
      Ok, so heres the scenario ... I have an online community for Nannies in Australia, brand new, only a few months old, and it has been going wonderfully until Nanny agencies started infultraiting it!

There is a section on my sight where Nannies can rant about things, and they do, including bad agencies and their behaviour. I have recently added posting rules asking them not to name the actual agencies in question and asked members to contact each other directly if they wish to no the agency name.

However, we have had one very annoying woman from an agency who came into the forum, publically declared the name of a member and then proceede to air her dirty laundry with that member on my forum!!!
      I managed to remove all the drama off the public forum and shuttle the angry nannies who were being attacked by the agencies onto a private, password protected area of the forum. In this private area of the forum, where you can only access if i give permission i am allowing the nannies to say what they like, is this ok?

Anyway now this woman who is a lurker on the forum has noticed someone made a post a ranting about an agency interview. She has emailed me saying this is unnaceptable and unresolved and if she see's her name of her agency mentioned ever on the forum she will seek legal advice. Her agency wasnt even mentioned by the way, nor was it infered.
      Now besides giving this woman a good slap, my questions are these ...

1. Does she have any legal recourse aginst me?
      2. Forums everywhere mention business names and even people, do i really have to sensor everything?? there are parent forums that publiclly slander nannies, why not the reverse?
      3. What should i do about this stupid woman?
      Go see a lawyer. Unfortunately the set of circumstances could or could not have legal reprocussions.
      ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
      Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Best to acquire legal assistance just to cover your butt. But I think if you moderate the forum and remove personal details from people and ban people who don't respect the rules, that you can't do much more and can't be liable for 'trying your best'. This woman has no case in my eyes.

Comment

Thanks you guys, i will put her name and agency into the censored words list, i'm also going to consult a lawyer to help with a detailed disclaimer and terms of use policy.
          I also downloaded this very amusing hack from vbulletin org called miserable users, it will give her the run around everytime she logs in, eg takes ages to re-load a page, 60percent chance of server down or server busy message, increasing flood check... loads of funny things
          This will help me while i get it sorted, i thought if i banned her it may make the situation worse. this way she will think its a problem with the server and nothing personal towards her, well i hope

Comment

Originally posted by Oz_gal View Post
            Thanks you guys, i will put her name and agency into the censored words list, i'm also going to consult a lawyer to help with a detailed disclaimer and terms of use policy.
            I also downloaded this very amusing hack from vbulletin org called miserable users, it will give her the run around everytime she logs in, eg takes ages to re-load a page, 60percent chance of server down or server busy message, increasing flood check... loads of funny things
            This will help me while i get it sorted, i thought if i banned her it may make the situation worse. this way she will think its a problem with the server and nothing personal towards her, well i hope
            I've used that on a few iritating people, though if you can, try to assign it to her IP as well.

Anyway best of luck, hope it all turns out well
            - TomJames

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X