Social Networks - The Rage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Networks - The Rage

I just wasted the past 20 to 30 minutes with someone talking to me about Social Networks. I hate them, I've always hated them, and it's most likely not going to change. We actually have one for our website, yeah...I never check it. lolz

I'm serious I just sit here and think...why?? I mean of all things why do I need a social network page?

What can be done at myspace that cannot be done on a forum, whether mine, your's, anyones?

What advantage if any does it have for your website? I mean, yes you might get some advertising out of it, but unless you're spamming everyone you don't know with "hey, check out my site" how does it help you? Not only that, spamming up strangers is going to make them think you're junk mailing them, you're reputation is shot and no one is going to check out your site.

The latest reason was so that "we could set up another base". As if this is tactical warfare?? How is that helpful to me, so that instead of me having people on my website/forum I now can talk about the topics that interest me OFF my website? Meaning traffic taken away from my website? Gee...that's helpful. Did that raise my friggin PR or something?

Seriously all social networks were was someone out there that said, "hey, come to this site so that we can hang out". That's it, end of discussion. Then they got the one and millions and millions followed. To the point where you have one thing, your own personal webpage or "yourspace". Of which you have customization but limited functionality, meaning you can't add certain things to it that you could on your own website.

Oh, join so we can talk to each other?

I have yahoo, msn, aim, and I'm on Trillian, I also have a cell phone and the mail still comes to my house, not only that but there is a magical thing called email to.

Well you can meet new people?

That can be done on any website out there, anyone of your forums.

Well you can meet people near you?

I also can go knock on my neighbors door, and there probably closer than the people on myspace for my city.

Well you can go there to have fun?

I have 5 vid game systems, a 1000 watt home theatre with multi-subwoofers, multi pc's, a fricken Ford Mustang, great friends, and a life away from the computer. I'm having a lot of fun without myspace.

--------------------------------

I challenge anyone to give me a good reason to be on myspace, ESPECIALLY for personal reasons only. Let's not even talk about the possibility that the networking or junk mailing of similar minded people might enhance traffic and revenue to your website, as you still have to either meet everyone one on one, OR junk mail them.

I'm mainly looking for the personal approach to this, because I cannot fathom what I can do on myspace that I cannot do with anyone else's website, my own, or my own means of communication.

This just pisses me off.

End/Rant

We need a Rant BB Code!

At the very basis of it, a forum is a social network. You create a place online with people of similar interests and get them to share those interests on your site. Along the way they create friendships, enemies and cliques and become a social network. Your site becomes part of their world and they take a pride in belonging to it as much as they do belonging to their neighborhood, their church or any other group. That is the whole basis of social networks and building community.

MySpace, Facebook, Blogger, Live Spaces, Livejournal and Yahoo! Groups are just examples that do it on a much larger scale than your forum. Doesn't make them very much different or wrong. It just means they are better funded.

As far as being on MySpace, I have an account to keep in touch with old school friends from 20 years ago as well as distant family. Its a lot easier to post things once and allow a lot of people to see them than it is to send out various emails or maintain a large email sending list. As long as someone doesn't have a stupid profile layout, the site in itself is actually quite easy to use and navigate. Most of these people have no interest in being on my website at this point of their lives so this is a happy medium.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
    Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

I don't really understand what all the fuss is about sites like MySpace, Facebook etc, but I have signed up to them and got back in contact with people that I knew before they moved etc.

However I don't really use them very often because I don't really find them that interesting.
      - TomJames

Comment

wow u dont halfexpress your feelings, lol i use bebo and i only use that cus my girlfriend comments my page all the while!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
          At the very basis of it, a forum is a social network. You create a place online with people of similar interests and get them to share those interests on your site. Along the way they create friendships, enemies and cliques and become a social network. Your site becomes part of their world and they take a pride in belonging to it as much as they do belonging to their neighborhood, their church or any other group. That is the whole basis of social networks and building community.

MySpace, Facebook, Blogger, Live Spaces, Livejournal and Yahoo! Groups are just examples that do it on a much larger scale than your forum. Doesn't make them very much different or wrong. It just means they are better funded.

As far as being on MySpace, I have an account to keep in touch with old school friends from 20 years ago as well as distant family. Its a lot easier to post things once and allow a lot of people to see them than it is to send out various emails or maintain a large email sending list. As long as someone doesn't have a stupid profile layout, the site in itself is actually quite easy to use and navigate. Most of these people have no interest in being on my website at this point of their lives so this is a happy medium.
          I'm pretty much on par with Wayne about this.

I use MySpace and Facebook to contact friends who I can't contact by any normal means, namely friends who have moved or live out of state who, as Wayne said, have no reason to join any of my sites.
          Ryan Ashbrook - My Blog - My Twitter

Comment

I don't really like social networks. It would be nice if they were directories, i.e. you could search for someone and then be given several different user-chosen methods of contacting them. I don't see the point in leaving a comment on someone's MySpace page when you can just send them a message on MSN Messenger - if they're online they'll get it, if not, they'll still get it when they sign in. It doesn't make any sense. Forums now as well? I'm just hoping all the quality forums I visit don't start with this social network stuff and I'm hoping they even revert back to the old profile page, or I might have to find a different hobby. Things have been great the past 8 years I've been using forums, why must it change? It's easy enough to contact someone as it is.

However, I do think that many small social networks will either a) cause social networks as a whole to fail, or b) small social networks will gain popularity and steal some thunder from the larger ones like MySpace, Facebook, etc.

But seriously, when I start running a forum again, I'm going as far as reverting to the old profile page, and I'm disabling all the social network options. Or I might stick with 3.6.9. Haven't decided yet. But I do have to give a kudos to the vB team - even though I'm not a fan, your profile page is in so many ways better than that of IPS... I can't believe they actually released it the way they did, ugh.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
            Working...
            X