help with COPPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with COPPA

Recently I've had one 9 year old and two 12 year olds join my forum. I marked them all as COPPA users.

How do I properly deal with users under 13 years of age?

How do I get/ask for parental permission from an under 13 user?

This is all new to me and I don't know what to do.

If you are hosted in the U.S., the then you need to follow the law and get the appropriate parental approval:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/buspubs/coppa.shtm
    Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
    Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

Ban them from using your site.

Comment

What I wanted to know, from someone who has done it before, how is the best way to go about getting verifiable parental consent. Is there a certain way to do it. Basically, how would you go about it?

Originally posted by kerplunk View Post
        Ban them from using your site.
        Why would I want to ban them. My site is not adult orientated. It's a site and forums on mass transit in NYC. Some of these kids are the sons, nephews & grandchildren of people in the mass transit industry. They are more than welcome to participate. I'd also like to add that they are pretty mature for their age.

Comment

They are the ones that have to follow-up - not you. They are given full instructions on how to do this when they register. To resend this form have them click on this link:

http://www.yoursite.com/forums/regis...p?do=coppaform
          Steve Machol, former vBulletin Customer Support Manager (and NOT retired!)
          Change CKEditor Colors to Match Style (for 4.1.4 and above)

Steve Machol Photography

Mankind is the only creature smart enough to know its own history, and dumb enough to ignore it.

Comment

That's perfect Steve. Thank you very much.

Is there a way to automatically add that link to the welcome e-mail they receive when they sign up?

Comment

Originally posted by CrashPush View Post
              That's perfect Steve. Thank you very much.

Is there a way to automatically add that link to the welcome e-mail they receive when they sign up?
              Admin CP -> vBulletin Options -> User Registration Options.

Choose to Enable Coppa, then go to 'Site Name / URL / Contact Details' and fill that stuff in, it should automatically do it then.

(Though I can't be sure, I just deny under-13s access.)
              - TomJames

Comment

Thanks Tom I will give that a try.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                Working...
                X