Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mac easiest to hack

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mac easiest to hack

    Of three computers given, a hacker (Charlie Miller) chose to hack MacBook Air with Mac OS X, 10.5.2, with all the latest security patches applied because it was the easiest. Other computers given were Sony Vaio VGN-TZ37CN with Ubuntu 7.10 and a Fujitsu U810 notebook running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, were also up to date and fully patched. He exploited a bug in Safari 3.1, the current version of Apple's browser in just two minutes.

    Details here

    Mac fans, its time to rethink your future purchases.
    www.christianforumsite.com
    sigpic

  • #2
    Rethink purchases over one vulnerability that will be patched on a browser that also runs on Windows machines? That's a little extreme. Either way, those loyal to Windows will stick with Windows and those loyal to Apple will stick with Apple. This isn't going to make Apple owners just switch to Windows because of one vulnerability.

    Also, for what it's worth, I'm glad that these competitions exist. It's how we get better and more secure software, by people finding the holes in them so they can be patched. I'm not going to get into a debate about which is better (as it seems that was the intent of your post by your last line) but with Apple's market share on the rise, I fully expect people to be trying to exploit OS X more as we go along.

    Comment


    • #3
      I was just joking about rethinking future purchases.
      www.christianforumsite.com
      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jeffinj View Post
        Of three computers given, a hacker (Charlie Miller) chose to hack MacBook Air with Mac OS X, 10.5.2, with all the latest security patches applied because it was the easiest. Other computers given were Sony Vaio VGN-TZ37CN with Ubuntu 7.10 and a Fujitsu U810 notebook running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, were also up to date and fully patched. He exploited a bug in Safari 3.1, the current version of Apple's browser in just two minutes.

        Details here

        Mac fans, its time to rethink your future purchases.
        There is a great amount of irony attached to that exploit given the viral marketing about apple hardware/software being secure. But remember, that's an exploit he has probably been sitting on for months, waiting for this competition. The market share is fairly low for Safari as a whole, so for the more malicious hackers they might have started to exploit IE instead of waiting to win $10k at a competition
        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeffinj View Post
          Of three computers given, a hacker (Charlie Miller) chose to hack MacBook Air with Mac OS X, 10.5.2, with all the latest security patches applied because it was the easiest. Other computers given were Sony Vaio VGN-TZ37CN with Ubuntu 7.10 and a Fujitsu U810 notebook running Windows Vista Ultimate SP1, were also up to date and fully patched. He exploited a bug in Safari 3.1, the current version of Apple's browser in just two minutes.

          Details here

          Mac fans, its time to rethink your future purchases.
          The reason it took two minutes is because he knew about it in advance. Or do you really think he managed to find a brand new exploit in 2 minutes?

          I mean seriously, people must be deluded to think that this has any bearing on real world security. All computers have security vulnerabilities, this just shows one that someone knew about in advance and took advantage of. Nothing surprising there at all.

          Comment


          • #6
            One thing I find worrying is that most mac users don't install an anti virus or firewall package thinking they are immune.

            At least with windows people are so poo scared they do :lol:

            Reminds me of what an old school teacher once said. He said he could practically eliminate car accidents. Simply remove seat belts and put huge spikes poking out of the steering wheel. People WILL drive a lot slower and with a LOT more care, AND will pay more attention to other drivers (mistakes) LOL...
            What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
              One thing I find worrying is that most mac users don't install an anti virus or firewall package thinking they are immune.
              That's because they are immune. There are no viruses for the Mac out there. There are proof of concepts but no real world virus.

              Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
              At least with windows people are so poo scared they do :lol:

              Reminds me of what an old school teacher once said. He said he could practically eliminate car accidents. Simply remove seat belts and put huge spikes poking out of the steering wheel. People WILL drive a lot slower and with a LOT more care, AND will pay more attention to other drivers (mistakes) LOL...
              That is true. The easiest way to reduce car accidents is to remove all regulations on the road. Counter intuitive but it is true.

              Comment


              • #8
                I still do not worry A sad attempt to try and get attention.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Luckily, most attempts at "hacking" my computer come from viruses, not people sitting in front of them.

                  Which OS has more viruses built for it? Oh, yeah.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Floris View Post
                    A sad attempt to try and get attention.
                    He has succeeded though.
                    That's the end of that!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Cromulent View Post
                      That's because they are immune. There are no viruses for the Mac out there. There are proof of concepts but no real world virus.
                      http://www.macvirus.org/database
                      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by MrNase View Post
                        He has succeeded though.
                        I read the thread yes.

                        I am certainly not worried.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Razasharp View Post
                          All of those viruses are for Mac OS 9 or earlier which is a completely different operating system.

                          There are no viruses for Mac OS X in the wild.

                          Just look at the dates most of those were discovered. Most are from the early 90's.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            And even on the rare occurance a vulnerability or exploit is found Apple patches it straightaway.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Wasn't this the same guy who found the iPhone hack? Also, I read that it could only be hacked after the rules were loosened to allow the use of WWW browsing and e-mail attachment opening. Hmmm~

                              Even so, I'd much rather have a MBP than an Air. That Vaio would be pretty sweet, too.

                              In regards to Apple and viruses: Apple is based on Unix (to get to the point), so the main thing to worry about would be trojans and rootkits. The closest thing I could think of would be maybe some malicious macros.

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X