X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One of my supermoderator's password was stolen and they erased all my board

So boys and girls, use this mod from vb.org:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=167276

It saved me, I could have babies with Paul M. Or you could just run a cron job to backup your database.

My message is just this, backup your database daily if you can, so you won't hate the world later. It may sound silly, but you won't be laughing when this happens to you and a lot of people don't do backups.

(moderators, I think this is an important message, but if I can't link vbulletin mods just erase this message, thanks)
    Radio and TV Player for vBulletin

One thing I'd advise is revoking your moderators' ability to hard-delete post. Allowing them to soft delete post keeps the post out of public view, easy-to-access for informational purposes, and it stops anything from being permanently erased by anyone but you or another administrator.

Comment

I have a cron job on the hosting side that does the backup of the database and zip it in a folder outside of public_html.
      So Cal Sportbike forum - So Cal Moto - Kawasaki Ninja 250R Forum - Custom vinyl decals - Southern California camping forum

Comment

And I'll just mention, like I always do, to not forget to backup your attachments/avatars/etc also if you store them in the filesystem!

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
        vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
        Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
        If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

Sorry to hear your moderator turned out to be ill equipped for the job and abused his status. I am sure Paul appreciates your testimonial

Comment

I backup every few times a day manually.
            Arcade.gs Game Site!

Comment

I run a crontab that .tgz the attachment directory in 1gb portions, dumps the .sql and .tgz compresses it in 1gb portions, and .tgz the public_html directory in 1gb portiotions. and timestamps them into a backup directory. The script also cycles through backups - cleaning out older than x days archived material, so the hard drive doesn't fill up too quickly. This is done on a second hard drive, not in a raid array. And once or twice a week I download the backups offsite.

Comment

Originally posted by Floris View Post
                Sorry to hear your moderator turned out to be ill equipped for the job and abused his status. I am sure Paul appreciates your testimonial
                Actually all my super moderator did was to use the forum in a lan house full of keyloggers. Could happen to any administrator.

Comment

Most hosts backup clients' websites daily, right?
                  $post[signature]

Comment

And from experience ... it turns out if their hdd breaks, the backup is broken too. Or they backup the user directories, but not databases. Or won't support you when you say : you keep going down, give me my backup so i can move to a different provider.

I rather make my own backups so I know it works.

Comment

That's why I'm with The Planet now, they are pros. Their backup servers are on another physical site (or so they say). And they are not thaat expensive.

But yeah, downloading backups helps you sleep.

Comment

I am with theplanet too, the dedicated box i have does not use their service, but i have 2x 80gb drives, and i backup to the second one that's mounted as /backup

Comment

I use their DiskSync backup service, which is not expensive to me, just 10gb for $20. But it can get expensive if you need more.

It's impressive they have complicated programs and settings for DiskSync, all done in-house. I felt ignorant messing with it, just followed their newbie how-to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazinger View Post
                            Most hosts backup clients' websites daily, right?
                            Most hosts advertise this.

However what they do is an incremental backup of the entire server every day. Restoring your one particular site out of hundreds on a backup tape is not really feasible. The backups are only really useful if the host suffers hard drive failure and needs to restore an entire server. If you care about your data, then you need to perform your own backups on a regular basis.
                            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud customization and demonstration site.
                            vBulletin 5 Documentation - Updated every Friday. Report issues here.
                            vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                            I am not currently available for vB Messenger Chats.

Comment

Originally posted by Dream View Post
                              I use their DiskSync backup service, which is not expensive to me, just 10gb for $20. But it can get expensive if you need more.
                              I make backups of all my stuff, and put it on the 'other' server (database backup goes to the webserver, files backup goes to the mysql server), but I recently decided I'd sleep better if all that stuff went offsite and so I went to bqbackup and get 100GB for $20. You might want to look into them.

Please don't PM or VM me for support - I only help out in the threads.
                              vBulletin Manual & vBulletin 4.0 Code Documentation (API)
                              Want help modifying your vbulletin forum? Head on over to vbulletin.org
                              If I post CSS and you don't know where it goes, throw it into the additional.css template.

W3Schools <- awesome site for html/css help

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X