Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vtec44
    replied
    I guess I'm a bit behind in time and scripting then...

Leave a comment:

• Wayne Luke
    replied
    Originally posted by Vtec44 View Post
    Not sure why this is confusing as displaying email in a web-based email client actually has the same basic principles behind it. Just need some script to get the links out of an email and use wget to open them. All you need is a couple of regexes to look for strings starting with http:// and www.

All the mod you use does is verify if an email exists. With a properly set up server and catchall accounts, you can make any email address exist on the domain. It doesn't check to see if it is a valid human behind the email or even if the email address is checked on a regular basis.

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    Originally posted by Milado View Post
    Bots can read e-mails and confirm them for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Milado
    replied
    Bots can read e-mails and confirm them for sure!

Leave a comment:

• Vtec44
    replied
    I use the vBMail mod over at vB.org. It verifies the email BEFORE anyone can proceed with the registration process. This is particularly helpful against bots and unverified accounts.

Leave a comment:

• Tolitz
    replied
    I use reCAPTCHA with email verification, and it is enough to deter a majority of all bot signups.

- T

Leave a comment:

• Floris
    replied
    I've changed to this now on one of my sites and so far there seems no decrease in user registrations, and no increase in spam bots, so far no new spam bots have registered successfully.

Leave a comment:

• Gladius
    replied
    In vB you can't use links in questions, which is really one of the most important aspects when it comes to making only human verifiable questions (e.g. go to linked site X and follow the instructions in the question to find the answer there). I consider this an oversight that makes the Q&A "protection" completely useless at the moment.

The way it is now, you can either only make questions that any bot with a dictionary will easily crack by associating words in the question with the answer, or you have to make the question relatively complex, which means a given percentage of actual humans will inevitably fail the verification. There's also a very limited (and common) set of questions simple enough that most people will be able to answer them correctly, which means that the bot programmers really won't have a hard time coming up with bots that will be able to get by 99% of Q&A security.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Machol
    replied
    Not at this time.

Leave a comment:

• kevinmanphp
    replied
    Which brings up question #2...

Is it possible to have both Q&A and Captcha?

Leave a comment:

• Zachery
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
    How can bots overcome the Question & Answer method? If you were to ask a question like,

Q: Of the four seasons, which one has all the snow?
    A: Winter

How could a bot possibly get around that?
    The same way they (a program) defeated images, by having a human read and respond

Leave a comment:

• ajaspers
    replied
    Originally posted by kevinmanphp View Post
    How can bots overcome the Question & Answer method? If you were to ask a question like,

If you come up with unique questions for your board, you're probably safe.

However, if someone wanted to write a bot that specifically targets your site, it would be fairly trivial to get the full list of questions (by refreshing the page) and program the answers into the bot. Smaller boards aren't likely to be targeted like that, but bigger boards should probably use a captcha system instead.

Leave a comment:

• kevinmanphp
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Jose Amaral Rego
    replied
    This is nothing new, but do not know if it is better to stop spam bots. I do like this option as it is easier to enter correct information, then reCAPTCHA or ImageMagick.

Leave a comment:

• Redseal
    replied
    Originally posted by Dean C View Post
    I don't use any image-based captcha's anymore. They are inaccesible and half the time I can't read them and my eyes are fine with the lens' in. I kid you not, it took me 2minutes to get past one at yahoo last week. Captcha's have become such a pain nowadays that they're inhibiting human registrations.

I prefer asking questions or asking the user to do basic match. Of course it relies on the user being an english speaker but fortunately I don't participate in any other languages.

I have to say although it's amusing http://www.thepcspy.com/kittenauth is top notch. The principle behind it is quite clever. I coded something similar recently that asked a user to identify a particular object. I had a database of houses, cats, boats etc. About 100 things in total. Then I ask the user to pick the boat out of the 4 pictures, or the house etc. It's far more accesible than having to read text
    Thanks for telling me about kitten auth, it is an awesome idea and makes things pretty fun.

Leave a comment:

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
Working...
X