Unlocked Phones?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way Off-Topic Unlocked Phones?

I have a crappy phone for Verizon Wirless, and I've been looking at older Blackberry models.

Can you buy an unlocked phone then link it to your current phone number?

Here's the one I'm looking at: http://stores.channeladvisor.com/km-...temid=10611082

I use Verizon as well and think you'll have a hard time with this.

First, I'm pretty sure GSM phones won't work on Verizon, since they're use CDMA. As well, even if you're able to find an unlocked phone that would work, you would have to call up Verizon and ask them to put it on the network. I'm not sure if they'd program it for you since it's not one of "their own".

The best bet you'd have with this question, however, is to ask on a forum dedicated to phone chat. As I'm a little new to the phone market, the only big one I can recommend at the time is http://www.howardforums.com/

Comment

The only phones that will work with Verizon for the time being are CDMA phones. Being that almost then entire rest of the world as well as T-Mobile and ATT use GSM, there are not many CDMA phones available that Verizon doesn't already have. The Blackberry you linked to will not work on the Verizon network as it does not have the correct radio/antenna.

Verizon does have plans to open up its network with the open handset initiative, but no one knows that standards they are going to use.

If you want an unlocked handset, your best bet is to switch to a GSM carrier.
      Trent Gillespie Mod Theater Gillespie Photography

Comment

Crap. I'm guessing they don't make those models in GSM form?

Comment

The 7130e, 8703e and 8830 do CDMA..
          I have a 8830, and it connects both ways, to CDMA and GSM while roaming out of Canada..
          MCSE, MVP, CCIE
          Microsoft Beta Team

Comment

Here is a Blackberry 7750 CDMA Unlocked phone:
            http://www.mmshop1.com/blackberry-77...ma-cell-p.html

The GSM models are a lot easier to find though since 5.8 billion people have access to GSM networks. Verizon has newer models available at verizonwireless.com.
            Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
            The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
            vBulletin 5 API

Comment

I seem to recall Verizon is opening up their network. I don't remember the specific details about it, but you should be able to use any phone on their network soon or something like that.
              ManagerJosh, Owner of 4 XenForo Licenses, 1 vBulletin Legacy License, 1 Internet Brands Suite License
              Director, WorldSims.org | Gaming Hosting Administrator, SimGames.net, Urban Online Entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ManagerJosh View Post
                I seem to recall Verizon is opening up their network. I don't remember the specific details about it, but you should be able to use any phone on their network soon or something like that.
                Mmm, I think all of the providers were ordered to open up their networks. However, time will tell how far Verizon will go -- whether actually opening it up or just doing it according to paper.

It'd be nice if they made the switch to GSM, but I don't foresee that happening for a long time.

Comment

Thanks, Wayne!

What can I say... I prefer the older models.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                  Working...
                  X