Social Networking Platform Recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Networking Platform Recommendation

I'm looking for some recommendations, reviews, comments, etc, on what the best Social Networking software platform out there is. The vBulletin community seems to be very on-the-ball when it comes to the technology so I'd love to hear your feedback. Some of the platforms we are looking at include:

Dolphin
    Expertzzz
    ExpressionEngine
    Ning
    Sparta Social Networks

I'm particularly interested in which platforms:

(A) have a bulletproof foundation and good extensibility via 3rd party plug-ins, API integration, UI customization, etc (more important then a lot of built-in bells and whistles)

(B) have solid security and access permissioning, and robust admin functionality

(C) scalable, open source, etc.

So there you go - all comments/feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Derek

vBulletin 3.7.0 provides all of the above except it is not Open Source.
    Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
    The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
    vBulletin 5 API

Comment

vb 3.7 is getting there Derek. It just needs a few additions to make it a truly killer SN app (threads in groups mainly).

The only other system I know that can do pretty much anything and everything SN related is Drupal. But it doesn't have as nice an end user interface and has a steep learning curve.
      What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

Comment

i guess i sort of thought of vBulletin more in terms of forums and (recently) blogs that would be elements of a larger SN space, which would include chat and vid conferencing tools, collaborative whiteboard/webx type tools, etc. i think i need to go poke around some rebranded vB sites to see how far away from "the look" of a forum platform you can push it.

Comment

http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumhome.php?

I still think that's one of the best examples I know of in terms of a redesigned vBulletin forum.
          Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

Hi,

you mentioned Ning. AFAIK Ning is a service based product which runs on an external server. While it is feature-rich and integrating new Web 2.0 stuff quickly, you don`t have that much control. I don`t like the idea of storing my community-members personal data on another server in a different country and not being able to change some piece of code if I want to.

There seems to be a flexible API though but I didn`t dive into the details so I don`t know how flexible it really is.

It`s tempting to use a service that integrates some popular web 2.0 apps without gaps and not having to worry about systems management any more. But if someone pulls the plug what is left in my hands?

Does anyone made some experience of migrating a board/community to Ning?

all the best,
            Sacha
            Thermomix, Rezepte und K├╝chenmaschinen

Comment

Originally posted by sinucello View Post
              I don`t like the idea of storing my community-members personal data on another server in a different country and not being able to change some piece of code if I want to.
              Yeah, that's how I feel about Ning. Awesome service, though.

If I could find the programmers, I'd build my SNS on Drupal - no contest.

Most of the really good sites I see are on Drupal.

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
                http://www.webdesignforums.net/forumhome.php?

I still think that's one of the best examples I know of in terms of a redesigned vBulletin forum.

What aspect of this site makes it stand out as a redesigned vbulletin forum?

Comment

What are the benefits of vBulletin compared to Ning?

Well... coincidentally I was talking to a new potential big client the last week and they where enthusiastic about my proposal to build them a SN site in vBulletin. The goal on the long run is to integrate their existing site (including a shopping cart) into the new to be build vBulletin powered website.

However, now one of their own employees has come up with the idea to just create a Ning network for them... and they are now in doubt what to do.

How do I convince them to go for vBulletin instead of Ning? What exactly are the benefits of a NING powered website compared to a vBulletin one?

Any advice is much appreciated,
                  How much do you love XenForo?

Comment

Originally posted by Derekj View Post
                    I'm particularly interested in which platforms:

(A) have a bulletproof foundation and good extensibility via 3rd party plug-ins, API integration, UI customization, etc (more important then a lot of built-in bells and whistles)

(B) have solid security and access permissioning, and robust admin functionality

(C) scalable, open source, etc.

So there you go - all comments/feedback appreciated. Thanks!

Derek
                    All these requirements scream Drupal.
                    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Jomsocial is a new comer that is making a lot of waves. There are lots of people now developing add-ons for it, but it is still relatively new and not sure if open source.

Comment

Don't you think the social network market is already saturated? You need more than a facebook clone to be a success. Think of your own great social networking site structure, then make something that's better than what's currently out there
                        Dean Clatworthy - Web Developer/Designer

Comment

I don't think he's trying to compete with Facebook or any other major SN website. The fact that Facebook et al are social networks doesn't mean there's no room left for others. If he could find a niche topic around which a community can rise up, it could become a huge success, depending on his goals from building such a community.
                          You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

Comment

Jomsocial is a new comer that is making a lot of waves. There are lots of people now developing add-ons for it, but it is still relatively new and not sure if open source.
                            Jomsocial is not open source, it cost's a lot of money.
                            Jut a random internet person.

A message to all illegal users!

Comment

Joomla With Community Builder. or another similier alternative add on for joomla gets my vote. and theres a solid Bridge for vBuletin

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X