Wet CRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet CRT

Hey, a couple of weeks ago someone put a 17" CRT monitor out by the dumpster. It looks pretty new, still had some stickers on it. Anyway the week they put it out there it was an extremely rainy week Then there was a week of dry sunny weather and since then it has been rainy off and on. From the day I saw it I was thinking about bringing it inside to dry off so I could see if it works. My mom has my LCD monitor and I've been wanting it back because I miss my dual screen.

Anyway, I brought it in last night. Took a blow dryer to heat it up a bit (as it's been rather cool out) and to get most of the external water dried up as much as I could.

Since then it has been sitting on my desk drying. I never plugged it into any power source and I don't plan to for the next couple of weeks.

Do you guys think it would be safe to plug it in and turn it on now? Or should I still wait a couple of weeks?
    http://helpmegetamac.net/blackapple.gif MacBook Pro 15.4" Core2Duo 2.33GHz.

I would strongly advise against it.

Comment

There was probably a reason it was put out in the first place, and even now so I wouldn't touch it and put it to any power source.
      Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I dropped an old phone into some water once, and dried it out and turned it on.

Though that wasn't plugged into a wall drawing the kind of power that could kill me .......
        I wrote ImpEx.

Blog | Me

Comment

Originally posted by whitetigergrowl View Post
          I would strongly advise against it.
          Is that for plugging it in now? If not, why do you say that?

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
          There was probably a reason it was put out in the first place, and even now so I wouldn't touch it and put it to any power source.

People in my complex always place furniture and other such items next to the dumpster. And it's not like a dumpster behind a store. It's inside my apartment complex which is a gated community.

I am pretty sure they put it there because either it didn't work anymore or got something better since it is a crappy monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 793MB)

Comment

Still, it's been out there in the heat, then wet, heated so it might have internal damage... something probably might short circuit or could shock you.

I wouldn't risk it, and go take it to be recycled or gotten rid of and not used.
            Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

Comment

I wouldn't really say lower 50s is too hot? Plus where it was it was in pretty much shade most of, if not all day.

Either way, I know the risks. My question is how long will it take to dry?

Comment

Originally posted by Onimua View Post
                I actually salvaged sixteen 19" monitors, 30 keyboards and 12 working towers that were set out of trash once. Someone got evicted from their office space and the workers cleaning out the building just tossed the equipment in a dumpster. Used a couple of monitors and sold the rest.

As for that monitor. If you're not experienced in checking used equipment and don't have the equipment to safely open it and dry it out, you should take it to a television/computer repair shop and have them run a quick diagnostic. Probably wouldn't cost more than a few bucks and could even be free.
                Translations provided by Google.

Wayne Luke
                The Rabid Badger - a vBulletin Cloud demonstration site.
                vBulletin 5 API - Full / Mobile
                Vote for your favorite feature requests and the bugs you want to see fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne Luke View Post
                  I actually salvaged sixteen 19" monitors, 30 keyboards and 12 working towers that were set out of trash once. Someone got evicted from their office space and the workers cleaning out the building just tossed the equipment in a dumpster. Used a couple of monitors and sold the rest.

As for that monitor. If you're not experienced in checking used equipment and don't have the equipment to safely open it and dry it out, you should take it to a television/computer repair shop and have them run a quick diagnostic. Probably wouldn't cost more than a few bucks and could even be free.
                  Alright, I will call around a few places and see what I come up with

Comment

Just to update you guys, two and a half weeks after I brought it in I plugged it in. Works great! Aside from the top left part of the screen curves up slightly. I played around with the settings but it wouldn't go away

Other than that it works great! Color isn't too bad and I got my LCD back from my mom! Dual monitors are the only way to go

Comment

Originally posted by JPT62089 View Post
                      Just to update you guys, two and a half weeks after I brought it in I plugged it in. Works great! Aside from the top left part of the screen curves up slightly. I played around with the settings but it wouldn't go away

Other than that it works great! Color isn't too bad and I got my LCD back from my mom! Dual monitors are the only way to go
                      Sounds like a nice ghetto setup! I would have just bought a new monitor instead of using that one!

Comment

I once forgot to close my (roof) window and my TV got extremly wet by a thunderstorm. I let it dry a few days and it worked perfectly.

Comment

Do you have a UPS? OR a nice surge protector?

Let it dry a few more days till you are certain that it is dry.
                          Plug it into the UPS or Surge protector, Make sure nothing else it pluged into it. Turn it on. see if it fires up. let it sit and see if it does anything.

next plug your computer into it..

I took have salvaged many computers and/or components that were simply left out by the trash.

Comment

widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                          Working...
                          X