Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Microsoft offered nearly $45B to buy Yahoo!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Microsoft offered nearly $45B to buy Yahoo!

    http://www.reuters.com/article/newsO...AS894220080201

    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Microsoft Corp on Friday said it had offered to acquire Yahoo Inc in a proposed cash and stock deal valued at $44.6 billion.
    Microsoft said it had offered to buy Yahoo for $31 per share, which it said represented a 62 percent premium above the company's closing stock price on Nasdaq on Thursday.

  • #2
    Very Interesting. Microsoft has never been succeeded as an Internet pioneer. Maybe if they could acquire Yahoo! they would be able to fill in that gap.

    Would the new company be called "Microhoo!"? "Yasoft" looks more like a Japanese nomenclature.
    You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

    Comment


    • #3
      I think it goes very far to say they haven't been successful as an Internet pioneer. If Microsoft would pull their internet stuff now the world would revolt. That's how much they have succeeded. Don't forget their LIVE platform, their xbox LIVE platform, their MSN and their msn-search, and how their operating systems are using a lot of the internet to get things done. Despite their major world wide enterprise that they are they manage to link stuff together and get things going on a global scale in various languages and with world wide support. Quite an achievement.

      Comment


      • #4
        NO!!! Microsoft is taking over the INTERNET! Save the servers!

        Comment


        • #5
          It's when Microsoft Buys Google that you want to be scared

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Floris View Post
            I think it goes very far to say they haven't been successful as an Internet pioneer. If Microsoft would pull their internet stuff now the world would revolt. That's how much they have succeeded. Don't forget their LIVE platform, their xbox LIVE platform, their MSN and their msn-search, and how their operating systems are using a lot of the internet to get things done. Despite their major world wide enterprise that they are they manage to link stuff together and get things going on a global scale in various languages and with world wide support. Quite an achievement.
            I didn't say they don't have achievements or that they're not successful corporation. Sure they are. However, I wouldn't call Microsoft an Internet pioneer, and this probable buyout just proves that as Microsoft has the resources to do everything Yahoo! has done but they didn't. The whole Live thing and Live Search are nothing compared to what Google provides which is more superior and yet free of charge.

            If they were pioneering the Internet then there wouldn't be a need to buy an Internet company for 44$ billion dollars.
            You're spending millions of dollars on a website?!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Floris View Post
              I think it goes very far to say they haven't been successful as an Internet pioneer. If Microsoft would pull their internet stuff now the world would revolt. That's how much they have succeeded. Don't forget their LIVE platform, their xbox LIVE platform, their MSN and their msn-search, and how their operating systems are using a lot of the internet to get things done. Despite their major world wide enterprise that they are they manage to link stuff together and get things going on a global scale in various languages and with world wide support. Quite an achievement.
              Remember, Bill gates said at the on-set of the Internet that is would never go anywhere or be of use to anyone. Yes, they have a good market share now, bit if Bill gates had 20/20 hindisght, maybe Google would be called Moogle and Bill Gates would be the richest guy in the Universe.
              vBulletin - Sometimes, I'm just like, Wow, and then I'm like, Whoa, and then I'm like, Damn.

              vBulletin.org's ol' Moderator

              I have a lifetime terrorist hunting permit - #091101

              chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

              Comment


              • #8
                Microsoft will find some way to make the internet suck!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Bill Gates is the richest guy in the universe.

                  Microsoft may not be an innovator, but, you have to give them credit for improving the technology.
                  Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Wow that's a lot of money!
                    What's Special About Ruby on Rails?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by AWS View Post
                      Bill Gates is the richest guy in the universe.

                      Microsoft may not be an innovator, but, you have to give them credit for improving the technology.
                      You mean opening loop holes in systems and then they patch them and open even more loop holes?


                      Or the fact that they re-skin other Operation Systems idea's and make them worse?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by AWS View Post
                        Bill Gates is the richest guy in the universe.

                        Microsoft may not be an innovator, but, you have to give them credit for improving the technology.
                        You sure? Last i checked we're not sure if there's other life in it, and if there is, what their worth might be to us.

                        I wonder what'll happen if Microsoft gets Yahoo though... I don't know if it's a good or bad thing.
                        Congratulations on the death of vBulletin, Internet Brands.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Actually, Carlos Slim has had more money than Bill Gates for nearly a year or two now...

                          Anyway, I doubt that if Microsoft acquired Google, they would change the branding at all. In fact, the services would likely remain exactly the same as they are now.
                          Forums

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Weapon-x View Post
                            You mean opening loop holes in systems and then they patch them and open even more loop holes?


                            Or the fact that they re-skin other Operation Systems idea's and make them worse?
                            I guess since you dislike Microsoft and feel it is a security risk to use the software that you don't use Windows or any of their products do you?

                            I'm sure you wouldn't waste your money on inferior and vulnerable products.

                            Actually, Carlos Slim has had more money than Bill Gates for nearly a year or two now...
                            I didn't know someone had surpassed him. I know Mark Cuban was close a couple years ago and since has dropped down a bit.
                            Admins Zone - Resources for Forum Administrators

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by AWS View Post
                              I guess since you dislike Microsoft and feel it is a security risk to use the software that you don't use Windows or any of their products do you?

                              I'm sure you wouldn't waste your money on inferior and vulnerable products.



                              I didn't know someone had surpassed him. I know Mark Cuban was close a couple years ago and since has dropped down a bit.
                              I highly doubt Mark Cuban ever came anywhere close to being as wealthy as Bill Gates. I know he made a few billion in the internet business, but it's been mostly spending for him since he's made his money, which last time I checked never surpassed ten billion.

                              But then again, I could be wrong...

                              Comment

                              widgetinstance 262 (Related Topics) skipped due to lack of content & hide_module_if_empty option.
                              Working...
                              X